• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2021 1:05 pm
[OP]
Jun 3, 2021
3 posts
1 upvote

Home Renovation Contractors

Hello,

I'm looking for renovation contractors in Toronto to fix up my parent's place. They want to replace their kitchen countertops and tiles, replace flooring with laminate, replace sinks, etc.
Can you give me any good contacts that will charge reasonable prices? My parents speak Chinese and are open to Asian contractors as well.
7 replies
May 12, 2008
74 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
AH Henry Construction Ltd.
Lic: T85-4905762
Mr. Chan
(647) 671-7328
ahhenryconstructionltd@gmail.com

Disclaimer: Company is my tenant
He did some small jobs for me on my house but he told me he does renovation work for realtors so he can handle larger projects.
No complaint with his work and his price is reasonable.
He did the jobs himself whereas my previous contractor always just sent their young apprentices to do the work which is not great.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5231 posts
1579 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Here’s one way to find a reputable Reno Co.
Your local Annual Home Design & Reno Awards

In TO thats given out by BILD
Building Industry & Land Development Association
https://bildgta.ca/membership/awards/renovationawards

Reno Awards Finalists 2020
And Winners from Past Years
https://renoawards.ca
I've got to take exception with this list. These are mostly (all?) renovators with slick branding and industry marketing. While I don't doubt the quality of their work, I think the cost of operating their businesses such as they do, requires them to charge a significant premium for their work.

We had Alair (one of the top BILD renovators and award winners) quote us for our current reno. At the time the job scope was new main floor flooring, take down a structural wall (nothing complicated or extraordinary), new kitchen, powder room reno, refinish staircase to match flooring, scraped ceiling, about 15 new potlights and new flooring for a ~200 sqft 2nd flr family room. After a 1.5hr meeting to discuss the job, they followed up with a 1hr "presentation" on why we should hire them. Basically they "guaranteed" they would not go over budget. Well, they quoted us $150k for the job. I lol'ed and told them of course they wouldn't go over budget because the quote was at least 70-80% over valued. Our job was at most, an $80-90k job.

Our current contractor (who has been absolutely amazing) did the aforementioned work, plus some additional structural work (pillar removal), plus the entire 2nd floor hallway (new floors, trim and scraped ceiling), plus full gut jobs on both the shared 2nd flr bathroom and the master bathroom, for ~$120k. Alair would have had us $250k, minimum, if the additional work was added to their original quote.

I don't necessarily think we got a "deal" with our current contractor. What I do think is we paid a fair price for the job that was contracted. The bonus for us (which is difficult to quantify monetarily, but I'd say incredibly valuable) was the excellent crew we dealt with, the exceptional flexibility of the GC (and his problem solving skills), great communication with the both the GC and project manager, and their commitment to our job and getting it done.

Frankly, these BILD awards kind of remind of the Oscars. A bunch industry insiders deciding who gets a pat on the back this time around. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10222 posts
5447 upvotes
Paris
Toukolou wrote: I've got to take exception with this list. These are mostly (all?) renovators with slick branding and industry marketing.
I agree. Most awards are bought. Actually, all of them. They are generally run by industry to promote the industry and won by whoever spends the most money promoting it or even worse you win an award for buying advertising space or just being a member.

Think of Chamber of Commerce awards, magazine awards, any industry awards, and especially the Oscars. All hyped up garbage designed to promote the “winners”. I have been a apart of egregious examples of this with various chambers and magazines. Its all “lets take turns giving each other awards”
May 27, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
I wonder if these companies actually have to pay a fee to actually be considered for the award. I would assume so. I know that you have to pay a fee to be considered on the best workplaces list for example.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10222 posts
5447 upvotes
Paris
usher933 wrote: I wonder if these companies actually have to pay a fee to actually be considered for the award. I would assume so. I know that you have to pay a fee to be considered on the best workplaces list for example.
Like all of these, you would need to pay the membership fee. They arent awarding some rando contractor.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1009 posts
475 upvotes
Longueuil
There was an episode of La Facture (CBC in French, similar to Marketplace) and they showed that it was simple advertisement, no real awards (it was for Customers Choice Awards https://www.ccaward.com/). There is a very big fee to pay to get the award and how they find these winners doesn't make any sense. Some companies "won" for a service that they didn't even offer (but they had to pay the fees to get the award).

I would not trust any of these.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...