• Jul 10th, 2020 10:47 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
24406 posts
196111 upvotes
GTA

Home Renovation Estimate

We have just starting shopping around for a contractor to do some updates/upgrades in our home (about 1800 sq. ft, but upgrading only the first floor). The main event is a kitchen renovation (essentially a full demo) with brand new countertops, cabinets, flooring, potlights + paint. No walls are coming down but we are getting a fairly significant upgrade in cabinet space along with some additional counter space.

In addition to this, an update to the main floor including replacement of all interior doors (main floor actually only has two), replacement of existing hardwood flooring/tile, all new baseboards/trim/casing, removal of popcorn ceiling, new powder room (vanity/sink/faucet), potlights, and paint.

We have been quoted $112K for the kitchen + another $35K for the remainder of the main floor - so around $147K total. A bit taken aback by the cost but given that we have not really done much in the way of renos, I will admit that I may also be completely out to lunch on the cost of these things. I was thinking the kitchen may be about $50K and then $25-30K for the rest.

A general contractor will be easier to deal with, no need to shop around for each job/coordinate when each part of the work will be done, etc., so I understand I would likely be paying more by contracting it out to a firm who will coordinate everything for us. I am confident the contractor uses quality materials/workmanship, so no issues there, but does this sound abnormally high? We are definitely planning on getting some more quotes but at the same time a bit put off by this initial sticker shock...
24 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26612 posts
5665 upvotes
Without knowing more details, it's impossible to say. Granite counters cost more than laminate, for example. If you're having all high end materials used, then the cost will be high. Some cabinets are far more expensive than others. Same with doors, flooring, etc.

Where I live, that is definitely a very high quote for a kitchen, but again, depending on what you're having done, it could very well be reasonable.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3473 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea that does seem a bit high for a kitchen.. assuming it includes appliances .. are you getting built-ins. ? Of yes then sky is limit and you can go crazy $$.

For comparison we are planing to do our kitchen(24x14). quotes are 30K for all wood cabinets(installed).. 15K for countertops(installed) and 25K for built in appliances... this is with me doing the GC. I have a contractor to do the demo and tile, electrical and plumbing (6K)... have to add permits etc
Last edited by TLSRULZ on Jul 8th, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8804 upvotes
You will notice with high ticket items like kitchen cabinets it is all about what you are willing to spend. You can get an Ikea kitchen, which many are satisfied with, for well under $10K (plus installation). You end up having to "make it fit" your space as best you can, so there may be some areas where there is a 3-4" gap between it and the end of the wall, or other configuration options not available. From there you can go all the way up to custom cabinets which have everything built specifically for your configuration - and this can run $50K+ (plus installation).

What you want to do is visit various places to get an idea of what the different finishes and types of cabinets are. You want to find out the cost for semi-custom (Ikea, Home Depot, etc.) versus custom (built specifically for you), and then decide which route you want to go. I would be very cautious in proceeding until you are educated on what the various options are for kitchens in your area (semi-custom versus custom) and the price points that they span. Additionally you will notice a variety of prices when it comes to things like countertops. "Granite" can be $4,000 or $10,000 and honestly might not look much different to many. Your contractor should be able to discuss this with you, but you would be wise to at least educate yourself on what a kitchen reno entails so that you can "speak the same language".

On the surface, without knowing your house, budget, wants, neighbourhood, etc. a $112K kitchen renovation is extremely high. This would be, in my area, a kitchen that exists in a very expensive home (which you may very well have) where I would expect to see a Subzero fridge, dish drawer, etc. This would be completely custom cabinets, obviously soft close everything, various organizers inside, etc.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
24406 posts
196111 upvotes
GTA
TLSRULZ wrote: Yea that does seem a bit high for a kitchen.. assuming it includes appliances .. are you getting built-ins. ?
No appliances included with this - we would work with them to source them for us or we can shop for them ourselves. Not looking for anything high end there, but even still, will probably add at least 5K to the cost for a new fridge, dishwasher, and range.

I know they are using high quality materials, but I don't know the exact specifics on each and every item. Caesarstone countertops, porcelain tile, etc. I think that may be part of the problem - haven't seen a full statement of work in writing yet so having difficulty reconciling the price (expecting this hopefully within the next day or so).
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3473 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
TLSRULZ wrote: Yea that does seem a bit high for a kitchen.. assuming it includes appliances .. are you getting built-ins. ? Of yes then sky is limit and you can go crazy $$.

For comparison we are planing to do our kitchen(24x14). quotes are 30K for all wood cabinets(installed).. 15K for countertops(installed) and 25K for built in appliances... this is with me doing the GC. I have a contractor to do the demo and tile, electrical and plumbing (6K)... have to add permits etc
toguy wrote: No appliances included with this - we would work with them to source them for us or we can shop for them ourselves. Not looking for anything high end there, but even still, will probably add at least 5K to the cost for a new fridge, dishwasher, and range.

I know they are using high quality materials, but I don't know the exact specifics on each and every item. Caesarstone countertops, porcelain tile, etc. I think that may be part of the problem - haven't seen a full statement of work in writing yet so having difficulty reconciling the price (expecting this hopefully within the next day or so).
I would shop around.. that's very high now that you say no appliances!.

I modified my post to give you an idea what we are planing..... my 30K cabinets was a quote from Aya kitchens which are a well known company. Like i said if your willimg to be the GC you can easily do your kitchen within your budget... hit up Josh on here in the Quartz thread for countertops.. I used him for my bathroom and did ceaserstone..

Do the research and then decide if you want turn key reno ... or if your able to do the GC part.
Oct 25, 2012
68 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
$112K sounds insanely expensive for a kitchen with no appliances. I would definitely shop that around. We are going that he process as we speak and the highest quote we got was less than half of that, with solid wood cabinets.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3311 posts
1893 upvotes
Mississauga
Shaner wrote: Without knowing more details, it's impossible to say. Granite counters cost more than laminate, for example. If you're having all high end materials used, then the cost will be high. Some cabinets are far more expensive than others. Same with doors, flooring, etc.

Where I live, that is definitely a very high quote for a kitchen, but again, depending on what you're having done, it could very well be reasonable.
I second this opinion having gone through a very similar Reno earlier year. The quote is high but really depends on the materials.

You can cut about 50% off that number if you choose where to spend the money and where to save on lower end materials. We got a kitchen company to install the cabinets and countertop. Then got the GC to do the demo, work with the kitchen company and schedule all the trades for the rest of the main floor reno.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1960 posts
1695 upvotes
GTA
jman1717 wrote: $112K sounds insanely expensive for a kitchen with no appliances.
$112k makes absolutely no sense without appliances. Also, given the size of the house, I assume the kitchen is only 200sqft give or take?

Maybe if $50k of that was appliances I could see it. Were you supplied with a breakdown for that $112k? I'd be curious to see what's made with gold.
Nov 2, 2018
191 posts
79 upvotes
That price is insanely high for a kitchen without appliances.

Get everything in writing and shop this quote around.

Just a little bit of organizing from your end could save you thousands. No need for a GC based on your scope of work. I would hire out a kitchen company, a flooring company and a trim carpenter and a painter all separately. Do the organizing and timelines yourself and cut that cost in half

PM for any contacts you might need. I know a plethora of contractors in every sphere that I have used personally and continue to work with.
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
122k for a kitchen remodel is highway robbery unless you are doing a large high end luxury kitchen
Oct 25, 2014
165 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toguy wrote: We have just starting shopping around for a contractor to do some updates/upgrades in our home (about 1800 sq. ft, but upgrading only the first floor). The main event is a kitchen renovation (essentially a full demo) with brand new countertops, cabinets, flooring, potlights + paint. No walls are coming down but we are getting a fairly significant upgrade in cabinet space along with some additional counter space.

In addition to this, an update to the main floor including replacement of all interior doors (main floor actually only has two), replacement of existing hardwood flooring/tile, all new baseboards/trim/casing, removal of popcorn ceiling, new powder room (vanity/sink/faucet), potlights, and paint.

We have been quoted $112K for the kitchen + another $35K for the remainder of the main floor - so around $147K total. A bit taken aback by the cost but given that we have not really done much in the way of renos, I will admit that I may also be completely out to lunch on the cost of these things. I was thinking the kitchen may be about $50K and then $25-30K for the rest.

A general contractor will be easier to deal with, no need to shop around for each job/coordinate when each part of the work will be done, etc., so I understand I would likely be paying more by contracting it out to a firm who will coordinate everything for us. I am confident the contractor uses quality materials/workmanship, so no issues there, but does this sound abnormally high? We are definitely planning on getting some more quotes but at the same time a bit put off by this initial sticker shock...
$112K for kitchen is equivalent to buying a Lamborghini

Or if you are doing some major structural changes and taking down load bearing wall, etc
Sep 25, 2003
284 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
Do you have a pre-existing plan / drawings going into the quote?

As a basis for comparison, in the GTA for our 12 x 16' kitchen we received upper end of quote of about $70K: $27 K for custom cabinets (installed by kitchen company). $7 K for quartz installed, $5 K for sinks, faucet, tiles, specialty lighting and $30 K for general contractor services including demo, electrical/plumbing trades, drywall, paint, flooring & finishes installation.
Feb 26, 2019
584 posts
626 upvotes
Ottawa
Many postsers here think that $150K total to renovate a 900 sqft main floor including brand new kitchen is crazy high high.

In my opinion, its higher end, but probably not totally crazy.

You can shop around for better prices, but I wouldn't expect to pay less than $120K total. Maybe you could do it for $100K, but you will need to opt for some cheap finishes.

Also: many posters say you can save lots of money by picking cheaper finishes... that has not been my experience in large renos (I've done a couple). Picking cheap finishes is harder than it sounds, because when you are paying so much for the construction work (regardless of finish quality), it is hard to stick a $1000 fridge and $100 faucet in that fancy new kitchen. About 75% of your project cost is the labour and the base construction materials - this doesn't change when you choose a cheap range hood or cheaper countertop. So that means even if you buy cheap stuff to put in it, you are only reducing the cost of the remaining 25%... it just wont have the impact that you wish it would.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1960 posts
1695 upvotes
GTA
dottawat wrote: Many postsers here think that $150K total to renovate a 900 sqft main floor including brand new kitchen is crazy high high.

In my opinion, its higher end, but probably not totally crazy.

You can shop around for better prices, but I wouldn't expect to pay less than $120K total. Maybe you could do it for $100K, but you will need to opt for some cheap finishes.
First off, I'll start off by saying that I 100% agree with you on going cheap with finishes. It doesn't save all that much money in the grand scheme of things. Don't need to go crazy high end, but should at least get decent stuff.

I think this $112k for just the kitchen WITHOUT appliances is insanely high. Based on an assumption that its a 200sqft kitchen with maybe 30 linear feet of cabinets.

Tiling at $20/sqft + backsplash might run you like $6k, cabinets at $1000/ft might run you $30k, throw in a few thousand for each trade/demo for an extra $10k, $7.5k for counter tops assuming 30 linear ft. So we're at $53.5k, throw in a few fixtures and a GC fee, and lets say we're at $65k.

Disclaimer that I just made these numbers up, but they are pretty high end numbers I would say. As I said before, sure, if you spend $50k on appliances, the $112k number could make sense.... but without appliances, or major changes, doesn't really pass the sniff test.

A scope of work and itemized quote would help, but right now to me and most of the people who have replied, the price makes no sense.

All in all, I think your price for $100-120k for the main floor all in sounds reasonable. Flooring choices, appliances and cabinets are probably the big ticket items that will cause the most variability in your budgets.
Feb 26, 2019
584 posts
626 upvotes
Ottawa
SubjectivelyObjective wrote:
I think this $112k for just the kitchen WITHOUT appliances is insanely high. Based on an assumption that its a 200sqft kitchen with maybe 30 linear feet of cabinets.

A scope of work and itemized quote would help, but right now to me and most of the people who have replied, the price makes no sense.
Yeah, fair enough. The $115K seems a little high. But I also the think the $35K for the remainder is quite low. So perhaps the breakdown of cost is funny (maybe flooring and all electrical is lumped into the kitchen or something, thereby skewing the distribution).

OP: where are you located (specifically). This can move the cost one way or the other (crowded urban area vs. large rural estate lot). Higher end neighbourhoods often pay a premium compared with "average" neighbourhoods.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5072 posts
1036 upvotes
Burlington
Not too sure if higher end neighbourhoods command a premium but I've had 2 contractors tell me now that they price high any job that involves condos or lack/tight parking, chances of tickets etc. They don't want the headache and only take jobs where they have plenty of space to park.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1960 posts
1695 upvotes
GTA
Tha_Doggg wrote: Not too sure if higher end neighbourhoods command a premium but I've had 2 contractors tell me now that they price high any job that involves condos or lack/tight parking, chances of tickets etc. They don't want the headache and only take jobs where they have plenty of space to park.
Condos cost a considerable more to renovate, just because of access, rules, etc.

I assume if your site was a pain to access as well, the contractor would price that in as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5072 posts
1036 upvotes
Burlington
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Condos cost a considerable more to renovate, just because of access, rules, etc.

I assume if your site was a pain to access as well, the contractor would price that in as well.
Yes, I was also told he prices condos higher because he doesn't want the job. And providing a quote is better than ignoring.