• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 11:36 am
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto

Home security after car break in..

I'm not sure if this is the right forum however I am looking for some info on affordable home security options , nothing was stolen from my car because I don't keep anything valuable in there but they did rummage through my items, spoke to neighbors apparently it's happened to them too. So far I went to Home Depot and bought a sensor security light to install outside, paid $134 is that a good price? Can you guys give me some good suggestions on home security cameras I really just need 1 or 2 , cameras and wifi so I can monitor on my phone , anything under 200 bucks would be ideal.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1241 posts
620 upvotes
The 6ix
Exact same thing happened to me, but they used my garage door opener to get into my garage while I was sleeping. Didn't know until the cops rang my doorbell. They took my bike and shoes (brand new high top air force 1) . We got the bike back but not the shoes :(

I no longer leave my garage door opener in the car. I got a key dongle opener. We installed motion sensor light and suvalliance camera. So far haven't heard from the punks. Hopefully this is enough to keep them away.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
vr_nguyen wrote: Exact same thing happened to me, but they used my garage door opener to get into my garage while I was sleeping. Didn't know until the cops rang my doorbell. They took my bike and shoes (brand new high top air force 1) . We got the bike back but not the shoes :(

I no longer leave my garage door opener in the car. I got a key dongle opener. We installed motion sensor light and suvalliance camera. So far haven't heard from the punks. Hopefully this is enough to keep them away.
What kind of camera did u get and how much was it ?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1671 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
Heavenleigh85 wrote: What kind of camera did u get and how much was it ?
This might not be in the <$200 price range, but what I've done is setup a ring video doorbell pro with motion sensing and night vision camera which pretty much sees my whole yard (160 degree view). I added my account to stringify and put a wemo switch for my front porch light, so now if the ring senses motion it'll turn on my wemo light then wait a couple minutes and turn it back off.

Probably more in the $250 range when both products are on sale, but having cloud recording is great, and 2-way audio if they're being stubborn is awesome as well.

Just something to consider.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
barqers wrote: This might not be in the <$200 price range, but what I've done is setup a ring video doorbell pro with motion sensing and night vision camera which pretty much sees my whole yard (160 degree view). I added my account to stringify and put a wemo switch for my front porch light, so now if the ring senses motion it'll turn on my wemo light then wait a couple minutes and turn it back off.

Probably more in the $250 range when both products are on sale, but having cloud recording is great, and 2-way audio if they're being stubborn is awesome as well.

Just something to consider.
Wemo light? Where can I buy this?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
barqers wrote: Wemo Light Switch (Wi-Fi)
Ring Video Doorbell Pro

The wemo has gone on sale for $35 in the past, and the Ring Doorbell on sale for about $200 previously. I got both on Kijiji paid $160 for the doorbell and $20 for the wemo. Definitely something to keep your eyes on in my opinion!
Thanks I found a a full camera system with 1 cam on Amazon for 129 will give it a try and see