• Sep 30th, 2018 6:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1947 posts
678 upvotes
ORLEANS

Home security alarm/systems

My home came with a standard dsc alarm system when we had the house built. Any benefits with 15 year old dsc system vs the new adt free systems? Is it possible to change the system because I already had all the wires integrated into the walls when we built the house? And adt system is free if I sign a 3 year term with monitoring?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36335 posts
9597 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
There is no such thing as free.

What is the monthly cost for that three year term?

There is nothing wrong with the DSC system, technology hasn't changed much.
Jun 2, 2009
114 posts
51 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
I wouldn't pay for a monitored alarm. Police don't show up for hours after an alarm is triggered. Home alarms are so low in priority. We had an alarm with Vivint and the police took 3 hours to show up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1947 posts
678 upvotes
ORLEANS
Gee wrote: There is no such thing as free.

Ok so I will leave my dsc system as is and add a few glass break sensors. I know the systems aren’t free because they will change us/finance using there 3 years monitor service. If I don’t buy the monitor service, just the system. You know what the average price range would be?
MarcP wrote: I wouldn't pay for a monitored alarm. Police don't show up for hours after an alarm is triggered. Home alarms are so low in priority. We had an alarm with Vivint and the police took 3 hours to show up.
The alarm is for commercial. So I think having monitored would be better. Even if the police come late. At least the thief will be scared off if the alarm goes off.

Adding a system to a commercial building and maybe changing my home system, if my home system is outdated compared to the new 2018 ones
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36335 posts
9597 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@Palidino

If you’re just looking for a keypad, they’re cheap. An android based DSC panel is $150 wholesale. The regular panel is half the cost.

You can get monitoring for $10 per month.

Montion sensors are also cheap
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1663 upvotes
Gee wrote: There is no such thing as free.

There is.

OP check out Eyezon. Absolutely free monthly. Many people I know have been using it for years. It's pretty sweet.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36335 posts
9597 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
aquariaguy wrote: There is.

OP check out Eyezon. Absolutely free monthly. Many people I know have been using it for years. It's pretty sweet.
Self monitoring? Not the same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9996 posts
1339 upvotes
Same boat here. Looking to replace an old ADT system already installed with something like Protection Plus. Anyone have any experience with this company?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1663 upvotes
Gee wrote: Self monitoring? Not the same thing.
Ya but monitoring centres are useless. I had it for many years and all they would do is call me to let me know. Ok. Don't even have a "securty guard" to check otu the house. So whats the point of calling me to let me know when the only other option they would do is send a police over, who will take 5 hrs to get there, and I'll get a bill in the mail for $200.

Eyezon is better. I get a text, and my relatives who are close by who I chose to ad to the list will get a text/email too. I just phone someone to see whos close by and I get them to check on my house. I also turn on a webcam that I have in my house so I can see if there truly is anyone in my house. If there is, than I would just call the police ASAP.

99% of people never call the police to their house when the alarm goes off since its 99% false alarm.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36335 posts
9597 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
aquariaguy wrote: Ya but monitoring centres are useless. I had it for many years and all they would do is call me to let me know. Ok. Don't even have a "securty guard" to check otu the house. So whats the point of calling me to let me know when the only other option they would do is send a police over, who will take 5 hrs to get there, and I'll get a bill in the mail for $200.

Eyezon is better. I get a text, and my relatives who are close by who I chose to ad to the list will get a text/email too. I just phone someone to see whos close by and I get them to check on my house. I also turn on a webcam that I have in my house so I can see if there truly is anyone in my house. If there is, than I would just call the police ASAP.

99% of people never call the police to their house when the alarm goes off since its 99% false alarm.
I actually own the Envisalink 4 and have it connected with my home automation. I agree with you. I pay $15 a month for monitoring and they do absolutely nothing.

But some people want to have it monitored. If you pay a company like ADT, they will send out someone to look around, they may arrive a few hours after the alarm is tripped, but they do arrive. That is why they charge a premium
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19670 posts
23048 upvotes
GTA
Gee wrote: Self monitoring? Not the same thing.
Self monitoring is better, as you can actually do something about it, vs the alarm going off and no cops showing up for a while. That is if you don't mind being on call.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12991 posts
7772 upvotes
Brampton
engineered wrote: Self monitoring is better, as you can actually do something about it, vs the alarm going off and no cops showing up for a while. That is if you don't mind being on call.
That's the nice part of envisalink you can have a discounted ip based monitoring by a UL listed monitoring company and do self monitoring.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1663 upvotes
rngun wrote: Envisalink also provides an optional monitoring service for $5/month, but paid annually.
http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=436
I wouldn't bother with that serivce, since it's out-sourced anyways next to useless.

There's absolutely no savings in home insurance for self-monitered vs. centrally monitored (centre) with my insurance company TD.
Aug 24, 2011
105 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
I have an older DSC system and added the Envisalink board. I have everything integrated into smartthings and can even use google home to get status etc. I can trigger actions based on sensor status just like any of the newer systems. We subscribe to their service and have to say, any time the alarm has been triggered, the response from the monitoring service has been instantaneous.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12991 posts
7772 upvotes
Brampton
ascguy wrote: I have an older DSC system and added the Envisalink board. I have everything integrated into smartthings and can even use google home to get status etc. I can trigger actions based on sensor status just like any of the newer systems. We subscribe to their service and have to say, any time the alarm has been triggered, the response from the monitoring service has been instantaneous.
That's pretty much my experience as well but using OpenHAB
And agreed their monitoring centre is surprisingly good.
Aug 1, 2007
752 posts
80 upvotes
Thought I would hop on this thread.

I too have an older DSC system and I’m looking to upgrade to an IP based self monitoring system where I can use my existing system hardware /wiring and control from our phones and tablets.

Any thoughts on the Safe by Hub 6 hardware solution? How does this compare to Invisalink solution and others? Would love to get your feedback as I’m looking to upgrade soon.

Cheers!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11171 posts
4436 upvotes
anyone have a good source to get the Envisalink?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
May 27, 2007
16047 posts
4506 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: anyone have a good source to get the Envisalink?
I purchased mine last year from Aartech. https://www.aartech.ca/
They have a physical store in Oshawa, great customer service. The first one I got was defective and they replaced it with a brand new one free of charge.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!