• Jul 29th, 2020 12:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1110 posts
512 upvotes
Corunna, ON

Home Security Cameras

So I'm thinking of buying a few cameras for the outside of my house.

I'm looking for cheap, super low maintenance ( like no replacing batteries) and would want motion detection then recording. Cloud isn't a must but would be nice. Would prefer to avoid a monthly cost.

Prefer a name that lots of people have used and had lots of success with.

Any ideas?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2430 posts
1609 upvotes
North Vancouver
Wyzecam V2 but wait until they go on sale for anywhere from $32 to $37 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Wyze-Wireless-Cam ... B076H3SRXG We have these both inside and outside and they're great. They use Wifi, 1080p, there's no monitoring fees and we can access them via the app anywhere we go. Low cost, reliable and works well.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
Another vote for Wyze camera. I also have a V2 outside and no problems with it, got a housing for it and it worked fine in the winter.
c'mon get happy!
Sep 23, 2013
618 posts
731 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Can you guys advise if it integrates with Google Home? I've read in some places that it was enabled last year, but in the USA only. I've also read that there is a significant delay (~15s) when accessing through Google. I'm looking to add more cameras and don't wanna shell out unnecessary $$$ on Nest cams.

TIA
No fanboyism here. I only pledge allegiance to the hotness. - Flossy Carter
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
hartzfizzo wrote: Can you guys advise if it integrates with Google Home? I've read in some places that it was enabled last year, but in the USA only. I've also read that there is a significant delay (~15s) when accessing through Google. I'm looking to add more cameras and don't wanna shell out unnecessary $$$ on Nest cams.

TIA
Wyze integrates into Google Home app, and the feed works fine on my Android phone using the app. I don't use it on my Google Home Hub as much because there was a delay as you mention and getting the feed to work properly was spotty at best.
c'mon get happy!
Sep 23, 2013
618 posts
731 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BernardRyder wrote: Wyze integrates into Google Home app, and the feed works fine on my Android phone using the app. I don't use it on my Google Home Hub as much because there was a delay as you mention and getting the feed to work properly was spotty at best.
Thanks very much. Worth a shot then. I will keep an eye out for sales. Have a good one!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1117 posts
1984 upvotes
Ontario
I'll play devils advocate on the Wyze stuff just for another viewpoint. They aren't outdoor cameras, and I know two different people who have lost several of them trying to use them as such. Even keeping them sheltered from the elements, we suspect it was just the hot/cold temperatures going outside the range of what they're designed for, and likely condensation build-up seeping inside too. It's a "try at your own risk" thing. Both users got somewhere around 4-6 months from them before they slowly started dying off and they were having to buy new cameras.

Check out Reolink on Amazon. I think you'd be very happy with what they offer - it ticks all your boxes, and they're often on sale for not a whole lot more than the wyze. They're designed for outdoor use, have much better IR night vision range, significantly higher resolution/quality/framerate, and even support POE on most models if you eventually want to move away from running power cables and want to hard wire ethernet/power to them in one cable. Amcrest is another good option, but lately I'm digging Reolink's firmware and app just a bit more than Amcrest - I'm seeing Amcrest pull a lot of models on Amazon, not sure if redesigning or discontinuing?

Reolink/Amcrest also offer RTSP stream support natively, so if you want to scale up your system more in the future and perhaps add a centralized NVR or anything, your cameras will be good to go.

Or if you want the next quality tier up (entering the over-$120 per camera mark), Hikvision and Dahua are a couple of the bigger names that come up time and time again.

I have a mix-and-match system of cameras from a variety of manufacturers, so I've tried a bunch of brands over the years and just connect them all back to a Blue Iris NVR mini-PC so I'm not stuck with a million different apps on my phone to run them all.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
I can definitely see the Wyze cam going bad outside after a while since they aren't rated for outdoor use. At the price it cost I decided to try it outside anyway, and no problems thus far. It's been about 9 months of outside use now.
Also Wyze does make a camera rated for outdoor use now. No idea on features, price, or how it performs, but if my outdoor one died I would look into it just to stay within the Wyze ecosystem rather than introduce more apps to check my video feed.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1307 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
Reolink ftw. I have one facing the stairs to our front door. over a year and no issues, also use reolink indoor cam for a baby monitor.
Graphic Designer
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8682 posts
4921 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Wyze does have outside cams now but sold out on early access.

There is pre order now. Think this is for USA so need Amerifriend.

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36194 posts
9452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@proplayer44

If you’re serious about video security, don’t cheap out.

Get a proper setup. If you want to do it on a budget, get a TVI system. A proper NVR

Expect to pay 60$ for a turret camera, 100$ for a bullet camera and 250$ for an DVR, then add your hard drives. If setup properly, you will get access to the DVR to view all your cameras. You can set it to record based on motion.

No one offers a totally free cloud recording service. If it is free, it will be limited to 24 hours or worse, a few hours. Plus, do you really want someone else to have access to your coming and going?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8565 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee is right. If you are really care about security, get the proper set up. This based on my experience. Our house across street was broken in, the police first noticed that we have the driveway camera, I downloaded the video per requested. I also put up a sign to earn people the house is monitoring 24/7.
Nov 5, 2011
225 posts
194 upvotes
Menace wrote: Gee is right. If you are really care about security, get the proper set up. This based on my experience. Our house across street was broken in, the police first noticed that we have the driveway camera, I downloaded the video per requested. I also put up a sign to earn people the house is monitoring 24/7.
In my opinion, the cameras themselves are just useful « after the fact », once the break-in as occurred, and even then, might not be that effective to help catch the culprit. I think the most important thing is to let people know your house is monitored in the first place, so your 2$ sticker is probably more effective than the cameras themselves to prevent a break-in. The quality of the cameras doesn’t really matter that much.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8565 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
Agree. There were so many bad things happened in our neighborhood. Our front screen door was busted a few years ago (probably mistaken by bad people).
reptile wrote: so your 2$ sticker is probably more effective than the cameras themselves to prevent a break-in.