• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 9:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1653 posts
101 upvotes

Home Security System

Any recommendations for doing your own home security system? I'm not looking for anything monitored, but I do want to be able to view things remotely, etc.

Thinking outdoor cameras, door sensors, window, motion, etc.

This would be for a new build, so I can work with stuff that requires hardwiring if need be
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2808 posts
1458 upvotes
Markham
So confused...
You are saying you are not looking for anything monitored and only want to be able to view things remotely.
And then you want outdoor cameras, door sensors, window sensors, motion detection, etc...
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11807 posts
3466 upvotes
Ontario
I think you want multiple things.

Sounds like Security Cameras and also a Home alarm that does not have home monitoring that you pay monthly for, so just something that would make noise if a window is opened when nobody is home.

As for the cameras you can start here - hikvision-security-camera-equipment-2187725/
lots of info and where you can get a good deal on quality cameras.

As for the home alarm I think you can buy the equipment thats needed but I never looked into it so I cant help much
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1653 posts
101 upvotes
OK, I'll rephrase it...

Security Cameras for outside and inside

Home alarm that is not necessarily monitored by outside firm, but I would want to be able to get notifications, etc on my cell phone (think about the house empty when on a trip)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2808 posts
1458 upvotes
Markham
BobW wrote: OK, I'll rephrase it...

Home alarm that is not necessarily monitored by outside firm, but I would want to be able to get notifications, etc on my cell phone (think about the house empty when on a trip)
Ok, so you want a self monitoring security system.
Common brands...Arlo, Nest, Blink, etc...
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1739 posts
829 upvotes
GTA
Or go "cheap" and use Wyze cameras.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1653 posts
101 upvotes
sickcars wrote: I think you want multiple things.

Sounds like Security Cameras and also a Home alarm that does not have home monitoring that you pay monthly for, so just something that would make noise if a window is opened when nobody is home.

As for the cameras you can start here - hikvision-security-camera-equipment-2187725/
lots of info and where you can get a good deal on quality cameras.

As for the home alarm I think you can buy the equipment thats needed but I never looked into it so I cant help much
That hikvision thread is gold. I feel like I learned a ton on security cameras and can actually make some intelligent choices.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11807 posts
3466 upvotes
Ontario
Yup great camera's, I got mine from the same seller, 4k Dome and they have been very good.
BobW wrote: That hikvision thread is gold. I feel like I learned a ton on security cameras and can actually make some intelligent choices.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3001 posts
1750 upvotes
Mississauga
BobW wrote: OK, I'll rephrase it...

You basically need to pick some sort of platform like Smartthings or HomeAssistant for security alerts. And you can use a off the self NVR or Blue Iris for cctv recording. Blue Iris have a mobile app, plus an inbuilt webserver which can be used to view the feeds remotely. Blue Iris can also integrate well with Home Assistant, so you can do things like sending a push notification when camers detect motion etc.