EDMONTON

Home Squat Rack

Looking for any suggestions or reviews on Squat racks and weight sets

I'm looking at the lifting package from hyperfitness and stumbled upon this set
- comes with bench and weights all for a decent price of $1155 to get you going
https://www.hyperfitness.ca/products/we ... ng-package

Other option was looking at Fit505 rack for $499
https://www.treadmillfactory.ca/fit505-ultra-power-rack

If anyone has any suggestions or first hand experience with these items. It would be great to hear it. Couldn't find much online.

Thanks in advance.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6434 posts
1223 upvotes
Check the Fitness subforum...there is a recent thread there where someone asked a similar question. Some good suggestions in there :)

As for the ones you linked...can you see them in person? I'd want to test out the rack a bit, see how I like adjusting the J hooks, safeties, how sturdy the bench feels, etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2010
1681 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
SauceLife wrote: Here's a blog post I wrote on how I built my home gym for around $1500:

How I Built my Home Gym for $1500
Is the rack sturdy enough at 110lbs?
Also, did you get the chinup bar separately? I see the 92" (127lb) comes with it, but the 72" doesn't.
Thanks.
Jun 12, 2017
123 posts
47 upvotes
reyoasian wrote: Is the rack sturdy enough at 110lbs?
Also, did you get the chinup bar separately? I see the 92" (127lb) comes with it, but the 72" doesn't.
Thanks.
If you have the ceiling height, I'd get the 92". And yes, it's actually surprisingly sturdy. I'm a big fan of the whole Northern Lights Crossbox lineup. Quality equipment.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2010
1681 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
SauceLife wrote: If you have the ceiling height, I'd get the 92". And yes, it's actually surprisingly sturdy. I'm a big fan of the whole Northern Lights Crossbox lineup. Quality equipment.
Thanks - I measured and my unfinished basement is exactly 92" so I guess I'm going with the 72" if anything, and buy the chinup bar attachment.
Nov 22, 2009
788 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
I will always vouch for Power Body Fitness. They are based out of Mississauga - ask them if they can remake the XTC Fitness 2x2 econ rack for you. One of the best and only Rogue clones that was made in Canada. 8g steel, Westside spacing and the cost was around $500 when XTC still sold it.

As for weight, unless you need bumper plate, grab a CAP "The Beast" OB86 from Amazon for $165 and buy used weight off kijiji for 50c/lb.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1875 upvotes
Ontario
For the rack, look at Northern Lights crossbox at Fitness Depot. It’s Canadian steel, 11 gauge and a near copy of Rogue’s Infinity line (2x3). All of Rogue’s accessories and attachments from the same also fit the rack. You can build any configuration you need just like the Rogue line. A lot of people don’t know about this product but it’s very high quality and the price is anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of Rogue’s rack and accessories.

Northern Lights also has decent attachments as well. I just saw they came out with pulley stacks that attach to their racks as well. They have a monolift attachment. Their jcups are dirt cheap compared to Rogue and same build, etc.
Jun 12, 2017
123 posts
47 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: For the rack, look at Northern Lights crossbox at Fitness Depot. It’s Canadian steel, 11 gauge and a near copy of Rogue’s Infinity line (2x3). All of Rogue’s accessories and attachments from the same also fit the rack. You can build any configuration you need just like the Rogue line. A lot of people don’t know about this product but it’s very high quality and the price is anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of Rogue’s rack and accessories.

Northern Lights also has decent attachments as well. I just saw they came out with pulley stacks that attach to their racks as well. They have a monolift attachment. Their jcups are dirt cheap compared to Rogue and same build, etc.
I've been telling everyone I can about the Crossbox lineup. Such great value. I have the Northern Lights bumper plates as well and they're so sleek
[OP]
Dec 4, 2013
70 posts
207 upvotes
EDMONTON
ending up buying a Bells of Steel Power Rack 5.0 for 490 + Taxes at a local store as they were trying to clear old stock
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
48 upvotes
Even the cheapest of the cheap is going to be "good enough." Yes, even those garbage Chinese made tinfoil sets, but saying that, get a cheap cage instead of just a squat rack.

And if you ever get into serious weights down the road, then buy a serious cage, NOT a squat rack. The cage will allow you to do a lot more than squat: heavy bench, variations of deadlifts, weighted pullups, etc.

Also, we don't know how serious or committed you are and there is no point dropping big $$$ on something that will be collecting dust in a few months time. It's smart to buy cheap now, and upgrade later. Unless you are seriously committed, then spend the $$$ now. I did just that many moons ago and never looked back.
Fortune favours the bold...
Jun 12, 2017
123 posts
47 upvotes
TheKiwiCornelius wrote: That FID bench looks super narrow, do you know the specs off hand?
I don't. This is the Xtreme Monkey FID Bench. Very solid BUT I recently learned about the REP bench and it is WAY more narrow