Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1552 posts
276 upvotes

Home Theater in Basement - need advise/ suggestions

Seeking advise/ opinion (or things you wished you had done) on building a home theater in my basement. Currently the basement is unfinished. I thought to plan it out really well so that when it comes to getting it done, it is easier to explain the contractor exactly what goes where.

The basement is approx 46x19 and the HT will be roughly 19x10 ft. Building HT mainly for watching movies and some gaming.

Below is the layout of my basement.

Questions I have

1) There is a small (mini)window on one side of the wall and one on the adjacent side. Would projector work or should I go with big screen TV? Or can I control the light with good quality curtain/blind and go with projector (i prefer this over TV -as mostly watching in evening)
2)If I go with projector, should it better to put the screen on window wall or opposite wall? The approximate room area is 19 feet x 8 feet (before the column) or over 10 feet including the column and space after column
2)Right now, when the next door neighbor (semi-detached) plays music, is clearly heard in my basement, as if I am playing that music in my basement! What kind of insulation do you suggest for that common wall?
3)It is going to be more open room concept as I dont think with this layout I can put a door.. any ideas?
4) With this layout should I have 7.1ss or should I stick with 5.1ss?
5)I am going through the other HT forum posts for a decent budget setup (selection of speakers, sub, receiver, projector and screen) but please recommend if you are happy with yours
6)I have read in couple forums to go with drop ceiling vs. Drywall. Do you agree?
7) carpet or laminate for flooring in the room theater?
8)Any tips on wiring?
9)Thinking of building a rack to put all the devices such as media player, receiver etc inside that squre space. Good idea?
10) Do you recommend speakers in the wall or floor/stand?

Thank you all for reading and commenting. Here's a rough sketch

6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
474 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Shades should be fine to controlling the light. Just make sure you get ones that go edge to edge. Perhaps a small curtain as well to assist with the edge bleed.

You can place a motorized screen over the window wall and raise/lower it.

Drop ceiling is nice if you ever need access to something above you.. like things for the main floor. However it will not dampen sound as much as a double layer of drywall.

7.1 needs length because the rear speakers are actually behind you with the surrounds on either side. Figure out where you want to sit and see if you can still place speakers behind.

Berber carpet is great for a theatre room. Get a thick underpad. We have something similar in our demo theatre room. You will love it.

Floor standing speakers always sound best but not compatible with small children.
Then on wall.
Then in wall.
Then in ceiling.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26685 posts
3573 upvotes
Montreal
Run Ethernet wires. Wifi is crap for streaming.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1552 posts
276 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote: Shades should be fine to controlling the light. Just make sure you get ones that go edge to edge. Perhaps a small curtain as well to assist with the edge bleed.

You can place a motorized screen over the window wall and raise/lower it.

Drop ceiling is nice if you ever need access to something above you.. like things for the main floor. However it will not dampen sound as much as a double layer of drywall.

7.1 needs length because the rear speakers are actually behind you with the surrounds on either side. Figure out where you want to sit and see if you can still place speakers behind.

Berber carpet is great for a theatre room. Get a thick underpad. We have something similar in our demo theatre room. You will love it.

Floor standing speakers always sound best but not compatible with small children.
Then on wall.
Then in wall.
Then in ceiling.
Thank you for this great advise.
7.1 needs length because the rear speakers are actually behind you with the surrounds on either side. Would a 18-19feet lengthwise be ok for 7.1. If nothing, I can have the rear speakers mount on the wall to save space? or 5.1 be sufficient for this size of room?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10326 upvotes
Ottawa
Insulate the ceiling very well in the theater area.
Do not forget to wrap the heating ducts and get a sound dampening device for the duct exit.
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/blog/ ... -products/
My buddy got a theater built and did not do it and you can hear the theater sounds all over the house, through the duct work. He blanks off the duct in the theater when he watches movies or whatever now. Too costly to fix it after the ceiling was up.
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/sou ... dead-vent/
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5079 posts
940 upvotes
Peterborough
Get a good sub. Huge difference in overall experience having hard hitting bass.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1552 posts
276 upvotes
Great input! Thank a lot dutchca and Pete_Coach

For the sub I have seen few RFD's recommend this product
https://www.amazon.ca/BIC-America-F12-4 ... B0015A8Y5M
Pete_Coach wrote: Insulate the ceiling very well in the theater area.
Do not forget to wrap the heating ducts and get a sound dampening device for the duct exit.
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/blog/ ... -products/
My buddy got a theater built and did not do it and you can hear the theater sounds all over the house, through the duct work. He blanks off the duct in the theater when he watches movies or whatever now. Too costly to fix it after the ceiling was up.
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/sou ... dead-vent/
dutchca wrote: Get a good sub. Huge difference in overall experience having hard hitting bass.