Computers & Electronics

home theater receiver front panel info on audio format?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2017 11:45 am
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
897 posts
290 upvotes

home theater receiver front panel info on audio format?

hey guys, question - I used to have an old receiver that runs audio via spdif (ps3, usb audio card then computer etc).

every time the signal is true surround sound (or that successful pass through is established), the receiver would show the signal on the front panel (ie, DTS etc). So I know I for sure have 5.1

my current receiver has HDMI, so I run everything (computer, xbox etc) via HDMI to the reciever (Yamaha RX-467). But it doesn't seem to show anything (stereo vs 5.1). does anyone know how to identify the audio source? thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2249 posts
1303 upvotes
Calgary
More than likely you are running things through PCM mode. That's perfectly fine, and if you are getting sound from all speakers it's probably doing what it's supposed to. Basically, the decoding is happening on the source device (PC, XBox).

Getting the receiver to decode the information instead would require you to enable Bitsreaming on the XBox or whatever media player you are using on your PC.

You aren't likely to notice a difference, and I know I've seen that Plex, for instance recommends not using Bitsreaming, though I'd have to search again to see why.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17271 posts
3509 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't the receiver indicate which speakers are in use via the front panel?
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
897 posts
290 upvotes
Exactly, Thays what my old receiver showed. But new one would show five speakers even though I only connected to 3
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17271 posts
3509 upvotes
Toronto
I guess the receiver is showing the signal that is being received from the playback device.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1408 posts
849 upvotes
Barrie ON
According to page 44 of the owners manual (from the Yamaha.com support area)......

Use the remote to select the input that you require the information about
Push the "option" button on the remote control
Use the cursor buttons on the remote until the display (on the face of the receiver) says "signal info"
Press the info button on the remote

Note that the "Audio In" menu option might also provide some other "Audio Information" that you might find interesting.