Home & Garden

Home theatre Experts - Painting Red walls in a home theatre room

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2018 4:19 pm
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes

Home theatre Experts - Painting Red walls in a home theatre room

wanted to check how many of you have painted Red in home theatre walls...
I also hear that Red walls might be distracting the view. Please share your personal experience with Red walls.
Dark Grey also seems to be a good choice but unfortunately my other walls/areas (my Basement divided into 2 parts - home theatre one part & regular usage another part) are painted light pink so not sure if dark Grey can match with those if i paint my home theatre area.
But if your own experience with Red walls are good, I will go ahead.
BTW, cannot paint my ceiling as its drop/suspended ceiling and room is not much exposed to light anyway
14 replies
Dec 15, 2015
706 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
It's a colour, everyone will have a different opinion.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
TheMaterial wrote: It's a colour, everyone will have a different opinion.
This.

/thread
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
You generally want darker neutral colours with a matte style paint. Otherwise you run the risk of light reflection on the walls which is very distracting.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Mar 15, 2005
869 posts
819 upvotes
Red may not look bad, but all of the research I've done says from a functional perspective, for the best colour accuracy and least distraction for your display you want the walls painted a very neutral color like grey. The darker the better, and it will allow for the colours from your screen to really pop.

In the very least paint the wall housing the display that colour and the other walls the colour of your choice. Since grey is so neutral it matches well with almost every colour

Personally think grey will match pink alot better than red.
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
discoblues wrote: Red may not look bad, but all of the research I've done says from a functional perspective, for the best colour accuracy and least distraction for your display you want the walls painted a very neutral color like grey. The darker the better, and it will allow for the colours from your screen to really pop.

In the very least paint the wall housing the display that colour and the other walls the colour of your choice. Since grey is so neutral it matches well with almost every colour

Personally think grey will match pink alot better than red.
Thanks for a valuable info.
Yes, i am now also now convinced that I should go with some Dark Grey shade and let me do my best to settle in an uncompromising color ;)
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
Grey and pink go very well together. Just look at the necktie section in any menswear store.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10324 upvotes
Toronto
I keep my HT room very dark when watching movies so my wall colour has no impact on the picture.
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
Thought of attaching my Pics here so i can get most accurate opinions/ideas.
Imagine, whole basement is painted in this color called 'Secret Scent'
Now, I want to Re-paint ONLY the home theater section - Wall behind the screen, left/Right walls & wall opposite to screen which is 15 ft far.
My objective is to get the most perfect image quality (without compromising on factors such as human distortion, image quality/reflection, etc.)
-I personally liked dark/dead Red shade but someone raised a very good point that RED may not be suitable if there is not enough distance between Screen & adjacent wall. Any opinion?
-Do you think a Dark Grey shade or even Dark Burgundy is most suited for this?
FYI, i will leave the Secret Scent (light pink shade) paint as it is in other walls.

Also, in this basement, I just have 2 small glass windows on top which are covered with a blind so no issues with lighting factors. In fact, I can actually make the room super Dark if i want with all lights turned OFF.

Thanks in advance
Images
  • 20180930_120703.jpg
  • 20180930_120647.jpg
  • 20180930_120717.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
I think wall paint colour is the least of your concerns here.

Given that the base trim is white and likely has a semi-gloss finish for durability. Going even further with such a light carpeted floor, the fibres will scatter light off of the screen like crazy.

IIRC your ceiling tiles are also white. So you can expect your image to be rather washed out and lack contrast with all of these handicaps.

Its either you put the work in to address these influencers of PQ or you just accept the compromise of having a multi-purpose space with a projector setup. I wouldn't necessarily call this a theater.

Simply painting the walls grey, is one step of many here that needs to be taken here.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1691 posts
1029 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I wish I had a room I could dedicate to a HT. I have my screen in the living room. The walls are tan, the ceiling is white, and there a many windows. During summer days I can't even tell if the projector is on. Night viewing is sweet though.
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
Repooc wrote: I think wall paint colour is the least of your concerns here.

Given that the base trim is white and likely has a semi-gloss finish for durability. Going even further with such a light carpeted floor, the fibres will scatter light off of the screen like crazy.

IIRC your ceiling tiles are also white. So you can expect your image to be rather washed out and lack contrast with all of these handicaps.

Its either you put the work in to address these influencers of PQ or you just accept the compromise of having a multi-purpose space with a projector setup. I wouldn't necessarily call this a theater.

Simply painting the walls grey, is one step of many here that needs to be taken here.
You are correct, it's definitely not a full-fledged one as I am far away from that considering that I have a little influence in making it as one ;)
-Yes, Ceiling is a Suspended/Drop ceiling so I really cannot even paint it as they are all like boards.
-So ambition is to do whatever I can in my control to make the best picture. If painting walls Dark than leaving the walls to light/semi-glossy pink can make a difference, I am ready to do that.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1691 posts
1029 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
smartnew wrote: -So ambition is to do whatever I can in my control to make the best picture. If painting walls Dark than leaving the walls to light/semi-glossy pink can make a difference, I am ready to do that.
Even without the projector screen, you should paint the walls. How can you stand those pink walls?
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
yes, of course i intend to paint all walls - Wall behing the screen, left and right walls and wall facing screen.
Mar 15, 2005
869 posts
819 upvotes
Sievert wrote: I wish I had a room I could dedicate to a HT. I have my screen in the living room. The walls are tan, the ceiling is white, and there a many windows. During summer days I can't even tell if the projector is on. Night viewing is sweet though.
you should consider an ambient light rejecting screen. Our boardroom at work has floor to ceiling windows facing west with no buildings blocking, and colours would get washed out. this ambient light rejecting screen made a world of difference. basically it refects light that hits it dead on (like a projector) and rejects light that hits it off axis. Only downside is if you are viewing off axis colours arent as vivid.