• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2019 10:20 am
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
2 posts

Home training business

Hello ,

I have some questions regarding starting a muay Thai personal training based out of a rented basement apartment in ottawa.

I will be renting a one or two bedroom apartment in ottawa. The living room will be bare without furniture and will be used to train client one on one.

So just like personal trainer but only train in Muay Thai.

Is this a feasible idea ? Is there anything illegal or problems you fellows could think of ?

Thank you
3 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12443 posts
8959 upvotes
Edmonton
Killerknee wrote: Hello ,

I have some questions regarding starting a muay Thai personal training based out of a rented basement apartment in ottawa.

I will be renting a one or two bedroom apartment in ottawa. The living room will be bare without furniture and will be used to train client one on one.

So just like personal trainer but only train in Muay Thai.

Is this a feasible idea ? Is there anything illegal or problems you fellows could think of ?

Thank you
Besides the fact that your landlord probably won't want you running a business out of there, and you will likely have problems getting a business license? The other problem will be the neighbors complaining about the wild sex noises all the time... Oh, and the fact that your apartment will smell like sweaty ass all the time...

You'd be better off renting a house with a heated garage. IMHO

C
[OP]
Aug 13, 2019
2 posts
OK , thanks for the suggestion.
Aside from smelly apartment, are there any bylaws in Ottawa saying to cannot run a home business?

Any personal trainer here that run there home gym as a business ?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12443 posts
8959 upvotes
Edmonton
Killerknee wrote: OK , thanks for the suggestion.
Aside from smelly apartment, are there any bylaws in Ottawa saying to cannot run a home business?

Any personal trainer here that run there home gym as a business ?
Section 127(5) of Ottawa’s Business Bylaw says that...
https://ottawa.ca/en/part-5-residential ... ns-120-143
No client or customer may be attended or served on-site in the case of any home-based business located within a secondary dwelling unit, rooming unit, or dwelling unit within an apartment dwelling, low rise or an apartment dwelling, mid rise or an apartment dwelling, high rise.(By-law 2012-334) (By-law 2014-292)
C