• Sep 13th, 2022 3:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
4778 posts
1623 upvotes
Ontario
iamthebest wrote: So, you have this card, never use it ... and you still are covered with Roadside Assist ?
Maybe someone who has a copy of this Roadside Assist agreement can chime in. But I don't see why not. Isn't that how most Roadside Assists work? If you have coverage you're covered regardless of how often you use the credit card. I know the BMO WE Cashback MC also has Roadside Assist.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
4778 posts
1623 upvotes
Ontario
coolintheshade wrote: Anyone else who applied for this card have any data points to share?
When you applied, when/if you were called with your application status, when/if you received your card, and the limit you were granted?
Applied Apr. 24 online. No call or letter to date. Will wait about a week before calling in. (I have my reference number). Will update status here.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2047 posts
337 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
seaker wrote: Finally got approval today for the Visa Preferred card. I forgot to ask about the credit limit and wasn't to concerned about the PIN issue, so didn't ask about that either. For the record, I rent and only work part-time due to being a student, so it seems that they'll approve pretty much anyone. ;P
did they call you? and ask you questions to verify income or something? what was the process? also you started with "Finally" how long ago did you apply?
Nov 15, 2008
446 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
yatta wrote: did they call you? and ask you questions to verify income or something? what was the process? also you started with "Finally" how long ago did you apply?
They did call me... but not until after I called them twice to see what the hold up was. Apparently, they've been overwhelmed by applications, so it's taking a bit longer now. I found calling the toll-free number to be useless as they just answer general questions. The woman who called me back about my application was from the underwriters' office. She verified a few banking details and that was pretty much it. She did inform me that one of the financial institutions had put a notice on my account re: a missing card or something, but I have no recollection of having any gone missing, so not sure what that was about. Regardless, I'll be getting my card in the mail this week. I forgot to ask about the credit limit, though. I still have an Amazon.ca Visa, so not too concerned even if the limit is low on this one. I shop too much anyway. ;)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21005 posts
7351 upvotes
Toronto
At this point it seems like it may be an exercise in futility to get this card, that is if you believe the company will be dead in 6 months. That said, the roadside assist is nice, and it may be worth getting it in the interim.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
4778 posts
1623 upvotes
Ontario
EugW wrote: At this point it seems like it may be an exercise in futility to get this card, that is if you believe the company will be dead in 6 months. That said, the roadside assist is nice, and it may be worth getting it in the interim.
You might be right but what are our medium-long term options in terms of no FX fee cards? If Home Trust bites the dust and Chase leaves Canada I guess only Rogers will be left? In that case maybe Rogers will no longer offer a positive +1.5% cashback on foreign purchases due to lack of competition? Who knows but in my opinion it's not looking good for no FX fee cards in Canada...
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
4778 posts
1623 upvotes
Ontario
seaker wrote: They did call me... but not until after I called them twice to see what the hold up was. Apparently, they've been overwhelmed by applications, so it's taking a bit longer now. I found calling the toll-free number to be useless as they just answer general questions. The woman who called me back about my application was from the underwriters' office. She verified a few banking details and that was pretty much it. She did inform me that one of the financial institutions had put a notice on my account re: a missing card or something, but I have no recollection of having any gone missing, so not sure what that was about. Regardless, I'll be getting my card in the mail this week. I forgot to ask about the credit limit, though. I still have an Amazon.ca Visa, so not too concerned even if the limit is low on this one. I shop too much anyway. ;)
Thanks for the info. When did you apply?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25658 posts
22418 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
FWIW I applied on Apr 18th. I got an envelope with my PIN in today's mail. I expect the card itself in the next day or so and will post my limit when it arrives.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 15, 2008
446 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
minimalist wrote: Thanks for the info. When did you apply?
I applied around the same time bylo applied, which is why I started getting antsy since I hadn't heard anything and bylo had.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9152 posts
10328 upvotes
The Prairies
bylo wrote: FWIW I applied on Apr 18th. I got an envelope with my PIN in today's mail. I expect the card itself in the next day or so and will post my limit when it arrives.
They aren't the quickest are they? Their office appears to be in Toronto, and it took two weeks to send a PIN? :confused:
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4017 upvotes
BC
coolintheshade wrote: They aren't the quickest are they? Their office appears to be in Toronto, and it took two weeks to send a PIN? :confused:
Give them a break ... they are busy processing the withdrawals of 90% of their deposit base.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6254 posts
3004 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Got a PIN in the mail too, ~2 weeks after application.

Hopefully HomeTrust will still be around by the time I get my card in the mail! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9152 posts
10328 upvotes
The Prairies
Mike15 wrote: Got a PIN in the mail too, ~2 weeks after application.

Hopefully HomeTrust will still be around by the time I get my card in the mail! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Better yet, hopefully they'll continue to offer no forex on the card, after they realize the reason for the mounds of applications they're probably getting right now haha.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6254 posts
3004 upvotes
Kingston, ON
coolintheshade wrote: Better yet, hopefully they'll continue to offer no forex on the card, after they realize the reason for the mounds of applications they're probably getting right now haha.
Hopefully they're too distracted with HISA and inevitable 'cost cutting' (layoffs) to notice.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2047 posts
337 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
best time to apply for the card is when the utilization is at the lowest right? I know I know you should pay your card down in full every month. But when capital 1 reports once a month i should have it close to 0$ so during the month it will show the balance at 0$ then apply for this card to get better odds? am i making any sense here?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4017 upvotes
BC
yatta wrote: best time to apply for the card is when the utilization is at the lowest right? I know I know you should pay your card down in full every month. But when capital 1 reports once a month i should have it close to 0$ so during the month it will show the balance at 0$ then apply for this card to get better odds? am i making any sense here?
If you want to manipulate your utilization one month then yes, pay off (most of) your bill amount BEFORE it actually becomes the bill amount.

e.g. Spent $3000 on a $5k card, statement date May 12th? Pay down $2950 on May 9th so it posts before May 12th and your statement will print as $50 instead of $3000.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25658 posts
22418 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bylo wrote: FWIW I applied on Apr 18th. I got an envelope with my PIN in today's mail [May 1st, 2017]. I expect the card itself in the next day or so and will post my limit when it arrives.
The card arrived in today's mail. My credit limit is $10,000.

(But then again I have more than $10,000 in GICs with Oaken/Home. They have the right of offset to grab funds from the GICs if for some reason I don't pay the credit card. So in effect they're offering to lend me money at 20% APR with absolutely zero risk.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6254 posts
3004 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Fascinated that in 2017 this card doesn't have tap-to-pay. There's a definite ease of use difference having to key in, though I suppose it fits in for using in the US at 0% forex fee.

The 'chip' is even smaller than other Canadian cards. It's similar to the smaller chip on many US-issued cards, offset more to the top rather than the middle.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25658 posts
22418 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Mike15 wrote: Fascinated that in 2017 this card doesn't have tap-to-pay. There's a definite ease of use difference having to key in, though I suppose it fits in for using in the US at 0% forex fee.
A few days after I got my HT Visa I got a renewed TD $US Visa. Even though it's a brand new card, it still doesn't even have a chip, let alone tap-and-pay. Yet when I use this card in the US many terminals now have chip readers and some even tap-and-pay.

Imagine. TD Bank. In 2017.
The 'chip' is even smaller than other Canadian cards. It's similar to the smaller chip on many US-issued cards, offset more to the top rather than the middle.
HT Visa's customer website is operated by ezcard. Google on ezcardinfo gets many results for US-based credit unions and smaller banks. I suspect ezcard is a US-based service provider for Visa credit cards that HT is also using, hence the US-sized chip.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6254 posts
3004 upvotes
Kingston, ON
A lot of US terminals are chip & sign instead of chip & pay. It's fascinating how there's some things Canada's at the forefront on as a smaller market!