• Mar 27th, 2024 6:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
codemonkey wrote: Is this still the best no-fx fee card to replace Chase visa? Or is there something better out there?
I went for Fido. Net 1.5% cash back and Mastercard's better exchange markup, instead of Home Trust's 1% and worse Visa rate. You can get your card in a couple of weeks compared to HT's several months.

Fido's net reward level for foreign purchases is dropping to 0.5% next month, but you can upgrade to the World Elite Rogers card to continue getting 1.5%.
Oct 21, 2004
543 posts
94 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I went for Fido. Net 1.5% cash back and Mastercard's better exchange markup, instead of Home Trust's 1% and worse Visa rate. You can get your card in a couple of weeks compared to HT's several months.

Fido's net reward level for foreign purchases is dropping to 0.5% next month, but you can upgrade to the World Elite Rogers card to continue getting 1.5%.
Thank you. Appreciate the response.
Oct 15, 2004
49 posts
14 upvotes
I called to cancel my application a few weeks ago since the process was taking too long. I applied March 28th and called to cancel the day after. I spoke to an agent quoting my reference number and date I applied. The agent said my application would not be processed since they were backed up with cancellations and applications. Asked whether or not I will be contacted to say my application is cancelled, the agent said I would receive an email.

Today I was surprised to receive an email saying my application has been approved and my pin and card will be mailed shortly.

For those who called to cancel, just be sure they are not going to process your application. I was waiting for Brim Financial but if I receive this one first then I will cancel my Brim application.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
1559 posts
1745 upvotes
Applied March 21
Received Approval Email April 19
Let's see how long it'll take for card to arrive... patience seems to be paying off.

Actually surprised at how much faster this is than expected. Meanwhile Brim still taking its sweet time...
RFD: Pick any two.
  • In stock
  • Low Price
  • Quality Product
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
I am wondering if most of these posts from people who can't wait for cards and are cancelling are from millennials or is everyone so used to "instant" everything that there is no longer any patience for an extended processing time? Personally, I don't see the rush in getting a card unless 1) you currently don't have a credit card or 2) you plan to leave on a trip soon and want to take advantage of the no FX benefit.

Once you get the card, you have the card for potentially a lifetime. Home Trust is not an American Express company providing instant approval and shipping your card within a week. If you wanted the card when you applied, have things really changed 6 weeks later?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
Applied around March 30/31st and received approval email today stating card and pin are on the way!

3 week timeline, now lets see how fast card shows up
Dec 21, 2008
560 posts
112 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I went for Fido. Net 1.5% cash back and Mastercard's better exchange markup, instead of Home Trust's 1% and worse Visa rate. You can get your card in a couple of weeks compared to HT's several months.

It's important to note though that Fido/Rogers MC has a ForEx charge that's just outweighed by the cashback. The Home Trust card is better for people who intend to withdraw foreign currency via ATM, since cash withdrawls don't get cash back. I need this card for my trip to Japan!

Also, people are being way too impatient for this card. People need to realize that they're being flooded with a huge number of Amazon Chase card holders that Amazon collected over many years. Even if a small fraction of Amazon cardholders apply for this card, they're still getting all these applications in one huge batch. It would be difficult for any company to handle that level of sudden increase.
Nov 21, 2015
416 posts
541 upvotes
-37.68611 176.16667
made $US dollar purchases on Amazon.com. good FX rates!

later called in to inquire about my statement cutoff date and the CSR mentioned they were getting over 10,000 applications a day. credit checks, then approvals are being done in batches so YMMV depending in which credit analyst has your application batch.

i'm gonna apply for Brim mastercard as a backup card. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6905 posts
5592 upvotes
Eldorado wrote: Applied around March 30/31st and received approval email today stating card and pin are on the way!

3 week timeline, now lets see how fast card shows up
You are extremely lucky. Some people that applied late Jan still haven't got a card yet...
Oct 25, 2014
291 posts
245 upvotes
Boswell, BC
Applied March 23 (late Friday)
Received approval email April 19
no other communication

edit: Received card May 1 (nice black design).
Last edited by emma30 on Apr 19th, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
NeoSlasher wrote: It's important to note though that Fido/Rogers MC has a ForEx charge that's just outweighed by the cash back.
Yes, but Fido still works out better, almost twice as good. Pay extra 2.75% now (2.5% forex + Mastercard's ~0.25% markup), get 4% later. HT = pay extra ~0.4% now (Visa's markup), get 1% later. You net about 1.25% with Fido vs about 0.6% with HT.

But I guess there are plenty of people who would rather have the lower price now, than wait for up to a year to get more.

HT does work out better if you need to return something, though. You lose the 2.5% forex markup with Fido if you return an item, vs losing nothing with HT. I've never returned anything I have bought in a foreign currency, so this is not an issue for me.

As for withdrawing cash through an ATM, I don't think HT is all that great. 1.5% fee (minimum $5.50, max $15). Home Trust's Mogo prepaid Visa is better than that, with only a $3 flat foreign ATM fee regardless of the amount.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Darkman wrote: Applied: February 14, 2018
Approval email: April 9, 2018 ( today! ) :)
PIN received: April 13, 2018 ( today! ) :)
Card received: ?? ( Not yet applicable )
Applied: February 14, 2018
Card received: April 19, 2018 ( today! ) :)

I am in Winnipeg. ;-)
Oct 6, 2004
300 posts
81 upvotes
See, now I'm wondering about that email demanding the extra verification....I sent it in but I also later sent an (as yet unanswered) email asking why they asked for it, as I've never been asked for that before after 40 years of using all brands of credit cards, being a mortgage-free home owner who has lived at the same address for 20 years who has no debt.
I applied March 2nd and heard nothing at all until the email yesterday.
Maybe there was a hack on their system or something around that time? It seems there was a spate of people being asked for extra ID proof around then?? It can't just be them being cautious (as someone said) because clearly some people are being fast tracked from the end of Mach with no follow-up at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote: You are extremely lucky. Some people that applied late Jan still haven't got a card yet...
Well lets wait and see when the card actually shows up
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
Darkman wrote: Applied: February 14, 2018
Card received: April 19, 2018 ( today! ) :)

I am in Winnipeg. ;-)
Are you a being from the fifth dimension and able to traverse time freely?
Loose lips sink ships. | His Majesty's Naval Service
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1230 posts
582 upvotes
Vancouver
Credit hit in Mar 29 but no more email further...

will they tell u if u are not approve?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
a16107 wrote: Credit hit in Mar 29 but no more email further...

will they tell u if u are not approve?
they will tell approved if you are not
Loose lips sink ships. | His Majesty's Naval Service
Dec 21, 2008
560 posts
112 upvotes
joolsca wrote: See, now I'm wondering about that email demanding the extra verification....I sent it in but I also later sent an (as yet unanswered) email asking why they asked for it, as I've never been asked for that before after 40 years of using all brands of credit cards, being a mortgage-free home owner who has lived at the same address for 20 years who has no debt.
I applied March 2nd and heard nothing at all until the email yesterday.
Maybe there was a hack on their system or something around that time? It seems there was a spate of people being asked for extra ID proof around then?? It can't just be them being cautious (as someone said) because clearly some people are being fast tracked from the end of Mach with no follow-up at all.
In my experience, credit card applications usually ask for more information if there's a discrepancy between your application and your credit report, and they need to verify something. For example, your credit report might be reporting an old address, or a different phone number or something along those lines.
Oct 6, 2004
300 posts
81 upvotes
NeoSlasher wrote: In my experience, credit card applications usually ask for more information if there's a discrepancy between your application and your credit report, and they need to verify something. For example, your credit report might be reporting an old address, or a different phone number or something along those lines.
Yes, that's why I'm concerned, as I said, I have been at the same home, which I own (mortgage-free), for 20 years. My phone numbers have not changed in all that time either. All the other credit cards I have used the same info at the same addresses/phone numbers when I applied and have continued to use...
Apr 18, 2018
4 posts
4 upvotes
London, Ont
Applied Feb 7/18. Credit check done Mar 27/18.
It's been radio silence until yesterday when I received the request for more info email that has been discussed here for the past day or so. I responded with the requested info right away.
I get that they have been swamped with thousands of Amazon and Marriott cardholder refugees, and therefore patience from the applicants would be expected in this situation. However the fact that we are seeing some applicants who applied in March are using their cards already while some applicants who applied in January are still waiting for any signs of life from this company clearly indicates that their application processing system is completely out of control. They should have at least been able to maintain some sort of "first in/first out" procedure as opposed to this crap shoot that's been going on. I hope that if/when I ever get this card I see better performance from them than we have experienced so far...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)