• Sep 13th, 2022 3:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do only Visa cards ever offer a 0% foreign exchange surcharge?
skunkyjosh wrote: LOL. The card design however... :facepalm:
The Amazon card also looks "uncool",much worse than this one. Maybe it's an unwritten rule about 0% foreign exchange cards.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1085 posts
414 upvotes
Windsor, ON
My experience with pre approvals is they are soft pulling your equifax and or transunion and offering you this card based on your current situation and score....if you were to change your situation and drop your score examples would be applying for new credit or incuring new debt to increase utilization, when they do a hard pull last minute they could drop the ball and say no....my friend just got one actually from Scotia for the infinite visa...she has a high score but yet a 13,000 income...she applied and of course like Scotia usually does asked for income verification and then got denied........on a side note Home Trust is great, I have had my mortgage with them for 2 years and rebuit my credit using the secured card, do we know any details about this roadside assistance if it offers a tow for your car or battery boost in the event of that unfortunate circumstance
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1066 posts
805 upvotes
Mississauga
Sauerkraut wrote: Are you sure...do you have a mortgage with them? If it is, in fact, available to the general public, they're not doing a very good job of promoting it. The credit card application page doesn't even list it.
I have not had a mortgage with them.

I DID have a secured card with them for a year.

Anyway - they sent me one.
Last edited by hopetindall on Mar 11th, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 9, 2012
786 posts
388 upvotes
Moncton, NB
My understanding of pre-approval is they do hard credit check. if something bad shows on credit bureau: "fraud warning" or "collection item" or something else that's considered bad -- they may still end up declining you. Chances you get approved are probably 99.99% anyway if it's a pre-approved.
Current credit card set up:
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite: 4% groceries, 4% gas, 2% transit, 2% restaurants, 2% recurring bills
Tangerine MC World: 2% drugstore, 2% home improvement, 2% hotel-motel
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1066 posts
805 upvotes
Mississauga
mmikeman wrote: do we know any details about this roadside assistance if it offers a tow for your car or battery boost in the event of that unfortunate circumstance
From the materials that came with the card:

"Emergency roadside assistance

You're protected for up to four emergency roadside services per year. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in North America. Emergency towing service will take you to any garage within a 5km radius. If you run out of gas, have 5L delivered to you free of charge. Also included are tire service, winching, battery boost and lost key lockout assistance."
Mar 9, 2012
786 posts
388 upvotes
Moncton, NB
hopetindall wrote: From the materials that came with the card:

You're protected for up to four emergency roadside services per year. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in North America. Emergency towing service will take you to any garage within a 5km radius. If you run out of gas, have 5L delivered to you free of charge. Also included are tire service, winching, battery boost and lost key lockout assistance."
5K radius is pretty basic but better than nothing since it's a free card.
Current credit card set up:
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite: 4% groceries, 4% gas, 2% transit, 2% restaurants, 2% recurring bills
Tangerine MC World: 2% drugstore, 2% home improvement, 2% hotel-motel
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4081 posts
3952 upvotes
on the links!
hopetindall wrote: I have not had a mortgage with them.

I DID have a secured card with them for a year.

When I closed the secure card after 1 year; I sent an email to them thanking them for offering the secured card and noting how useful it was.

I received a phone call a couple of days later from someone in their underwriting department that told me about the Preferred Visa product and invited me to apply. They told me they'd give me the same CL on the Preferred Visa as I'd had on the secured card (my secured funds were returned of course) without doing a hard-pull (and would consider higher CL but it would require a hard pull). They wanted me to submit the application online (which I did); their was no bureau pull. There was no mention in the disclosure or the application to having a mortgage with them

I mentioned on the phone to them "I've never seen this card before - I've only seen the secured card and the HE linked card on your web page". Their reply was that the preferred visa was relatively new.

Anyway - they sent me one.
Good to know, thanks.

I'm trying to find more info on the Roadside Assist membership. If it's half-decent, it could replace my TD Gold card, which in turn may sway my decision to cancel my TD AI account.

edit: whoops, just saw your most recent post.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1085 posts
414 upvotes
Windsor, ON
mmikeman wrote: My experience with pre approvals is they are soft pulling your equifax and or transunion and offering you this card based on your current situation and score....if you were to change your situation and drop your score examples would be applying for new credit or incuring new debt to increase utilization, when they do a hard pull last minute they could drop the ball and say no....my friend just got one actually from Scotia for the infinite visa...she has a high score but yet a 13,000 income...she applied and of course like Scotia usually does asked for income verification and then got denied........on a side note Home Trust is great, I have had my mortgage with them for 2 years and rebuit my credit using the secured card, do we know any details about this roadside assistance if it offers a tow for your car or battery boost in the event of that unfortunate circumstance
This is a very good perk for no annual fee, I am pretty sure most of the ones you pay yearly for are 20km but cost 60 to 80 bucks
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49375 posts
12920 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
hopetindall wrote: From the materials that came with the card:

5km is pretty skimpy. But its A great feature for a no fee card.
I think i'll apply for one just to have that benefit...
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1066 posts
805 upvotes
Mississauga
It also includes this:

22. Health and Legal Assistance Services:

Provided by: Sigma Assistel Inc.
- Bilingual Assistance Coordinators are on call 24 hours a day at
1-866-358-4140.

- Unlimited toll-free calls are included in the services.
- Sigma Assistance Coordinators are supported by registered
nurses and accredited lawyers across Canada.
- Assistance services are available to me as the cardholder and my
immediate family living at home.

Health Assistance: Health Assistance is a phone service designed
to provide answers to questions of a health or medical nature. It is
not intended to replace the care of the appropriate, qualified health
care professional. If I have a medical emergency, I will contact 911.
Occasionally a nurse may not be available at the time of my call.
Sigma Assistance Coordinators will then obtain the necessary
information for the first available nurse to call me back within 24
hours of my call.

Legal Assistance: Legal Assistance is a phone service designed to
provide answers to questions of a legal nature. Sigma lawyers will
not provide legal advice, express opinions, analyze legal documents
or represent the caller in any way. Questions that pertain to criminal
law are excluded from the topics covered by this service. Legal
Assistance services can be accessed 24 hours a day. However,
Sigma lawyers will only be available Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM
to 8:00 PM EST and Saturday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Legal
Assistance is not an emergency service. Occasionally a lawyer may
not be available at the time of my call. Sigma Assistance
Coordinators will then obtain the information necessary for the
first available lawyer to call me back within the next business day
following my call.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1085 posts
414 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Seems to be open to anyone as per that link posted, wondering how hard it is to get approved for though, mortgage wise they were pretty good to me my scores are in the 650s though because I have to many trades open....may need to wait until I churn 2 crumby cards for this one unless they see the mortgage I have for 2 years with them and take that into account (they dont seem to report my mortgage to either bureau)
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2877 posts
1415 upvotes
What company actually provides the roadside services?

IE. TD uses AXA (utter garbage, Sykes was the best)
BMO uses DAA (not CAA)
Loose lips sink ships. | Her Majesty's Naval Service
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1066 posts
805 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm going to call them and find out more on Monday.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1066 posts
805 upvotes
Mississauga
vtography wrote: I also got an offer for this in the mail and am thinking about dumping my Chase/Amazon Visa for HomeTrust. My Chase Visa doesn’t support Apple Pay, they have a web interface circa 1998, and don’t support paperless billing (I get a dead tree bill in the mail every month). Anyone know how HomeTrust compares on these issues? Apple Pay isn’t a necessity, but I’d kill for electronic billing and a usable, modern website (or mobile app/mobile web).
While HomeTrust has electronic (pdf) billing - they can't inhibit the paper mail-out. I just shred it as soon as I open it.
Jan 11, 2017
90 posts
26 upvotes
It is NOT available for Quebec residents.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1085 posts
414 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I am assuming this point no apple pay no nfc payments and no app to access bill, Home Trust as far as i know still has an older system this lets you login to check basic info online, I decided to apply w/645 TU and 644 EQ interesting part is only soft pull on EQ and its been 3 days since (Ive been monitoring TU and EQ), I do have a mortgage with them and had the secured card with them so well see how this goes, I called about the roadside assist, after the 5km its $2 to $3 km paid to tow truck driver directly, still not that bad canadian tire has one that is $45 on sale you get 10km...and I guess that one even is usually $69, will update thread on approval the next 10 days

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)