Credit Cards

Home Trust Preferred cashback VISA, no-AF, no-FTF

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2022 3:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6410 posts
681 upvotes
Calgary
i also had to call the 877 number to for adding to goggle pay..odd - think this is the first cc that made me do that?!?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
4557 posts
1927 upvotes
Durham Region
Just added mine to Google Pay. Verification method offered was email.

And with this, every credit card in my wallet is finally supported (my other hold out was the Capital One Costco MasterCard, but the sale to CIBC resolved that)
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2957 posts
2172 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Just call them on Monday. They can probably reset or unlock it.

Be sure to also advise them of travel.
A note to everyone visiting this thread in the future: HomeTrust can absolutely not reset the PIN or unlock the card. They can only send a PIN reminder via snail mail. Once PIN blocked, the chip on the card is blocked and a replacement card is required...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 10, 2008
6709 posts
6816 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: A note to everyone visiting this thread in the future: HomeTrust can absolutely not reset the PIN or unlock the card. They can only send a PIN reminder via snail mail. Once PIN blocked, the chip on the card is blocked and a replacement card is required...
Good to know, thanks. My wife changed her PIN online, but then bricked her card by not remembering to key in the OLD PIN first, before using the new PIN. She called on a Saturday and a replacement card with new Visa number was sent out and arrived exactly 7 business days later (to the GTA). Not sure if you'll get your new card in time before you travel at the end of next week, but good luck.

Edit: the number she called on a Saturday was the 1-877-727-6883 • HTV Customer Service. Press option 4 for all all other cardholder enquiries. Did not have to call back on Monday for this type of service.
Last edited by bizee-bee on Jun 14th, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. [email protected] 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2957 posts
2172 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: Good to know, thanks. My wife changed her PIN online, but then bricked her card by not remembering to key in the OLD PIN first, before using the new PIN. She called on a Saturday and a replacement card with new Visa number was sent out and arrived exactly 7 business days later (to the GTA). Not sure if you'll get your new card in time before you travel at the end of next week, but good luck.
VISA (not HomeTrust) is working on an emergency replacement, to be sent to my destination as my card is completely useless so hopefully it gets all sorted out beforehand. It'll be only good for the trip, they said it's only valid for 30 days and I'll have to contact HomeTrust to get an actual replacement once I return.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
21010 posts
5588 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
profile wrote: My Home Trust Visa card has been compromised again.
It happened about a year ago.
Many charges to three different websites.
Called and cancelled but was given another phone number to call on Monday to report fraudulent activity.
Really?? You would think that HT would want to know ASAP.
I think HT's main offices are only open M-F.

I also called their cancellation number* once, and was told you have to get them on a weekday to reach the main team.

* Well, I initially typed it slightly wrong, and reached 'America's Hottest Chat Line' Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25640 posts
22389 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote: I think HT's main offices are only open M-F.

I also called their cancellation number* once, and was told you have to get them on a weekday to reach the main team.
From the Thread Summary, "1-866-839-3485 • Stolen Cards (24/7)"
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
21010 posts
5588 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Jucius Maximus wrote: I think HT's main offices are only open M-F.
bylo wrote: From the Thread Summary, "1-866-839-3485 • Stolen Cards (24/7)"
That 24/7 number is not specific to Home Trust. If you google search it, you'll find that many other institutions also use it.
Hence my comment that 'HT's main offices are only open M-F'.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1701 posts
1419 upvotes
Ontario
bylo wrote: From the Thread Summary, "1-866-839-3485 • Stolen Cards (24/7)"
My card was not stolen. It was in my possession.

The first time I had fraudulent charges, I had never used the card once.
So I think it must have been an inside job.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25640 posts
22389 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote: That 24/7 number is not specific to Home Trust. If you google search it, you'll find that many other institutions also use it.
Hence my comment that 'HT's main offices are only open M-F'.
profile wrote: My card was not stolen. It was in my possession.

The first time I had fraudulent charges, I had never used the card once.
So I think it must have been an inside job.
The 1-800 number I posted takes you to EZCard, the company that administers HTV and many other cards. That's the number I would call if the card was lost, stolen or incurring fraudulent charges. Presumably they can shut the card down immediately.

Perhaps they can't send a replacement card and you have to wait for M-F 9-5 to get HTV to do that. I've never had to test that out.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
21010 posts
5588 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
bylo wrote: The 1-800 number I posted takes you to EZCard, the company that administers HTV and many other cards. That's the number I would call if the card was lost, stolen or incurring fraudulent charges. Presumably they can shut the card down immediately.
OK. I called the fraud line before on a weekend, out of desperation, because I was traveling on a Sunday.
The fraud people told me they could put a note, but I'd have to call the main Home Trust team on Monday to get it done properly.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2957 posts
2172 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: VISA (not HomeTrust) is working on an emergency replacement, to be sent to my destination as my card is completely useless so hopefully it gets all sorted out beforehand. It'll be only good for the trip, they said it's only valid for 30 days and I'll have to contact HomeTrust to get an actual replacement once I return.
Following up on this: Do NOT ever rely on HomeTrust!!! HomeTrust is not responding to VISA’s request to authorize my emergency card. I highly doubt I will have my card by the end of the week at my destination.

I have alternative cards and have a plan but so much for an “emergency” replacement…. Imagine already traveling and not having the card…
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2017
6441 posts
5090 upvotes
Has anyone ever used the card with Apple Pay in Costco US? I tapped my CIBC VISA but it failed and I had to insert the physical card in the machine. I don’t want to bring one more card just for Costco.
💳 Amex Cobalt - MBNA RWE - Brim WE
😊 Amex Platinum - Bonvoy Brilliant Amex - CIBC Aeroplan VIP
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2617 posts
1205 upvotes
Curious to know what are people's use case for keeping this card?

I'm struggling to not cancel it after they took away free roadside, and no FTF.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25640 posts
22389 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TheDgoat wrote: Curious to know what are people's use case for keeping this card?

I'm struggling to not cancel it after they took away free roadside, and no FTF.
Makes a good backup for Brim MC in that it's a Visa. I've had situations in the past where one card didn't work but the other one did. The 0% FX on both cards trumps the 2.5% FX on most other cards.

HTV is also useful at Costco US where only Visa cards are accepted.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2017
114 posts
118 upvotes
TheDgoat wrote: Curious to know what are people's use case for keeping this card?

I'm struggling to not cancel it after they took away free roadside, and no FTF.
I throw $0.15 on it from Amazon, or pay $1.00 for VOIP service each month to keep it active, been doing it for years. Was disappointed they got rid of the cashback offering on foreign exchange as it was the only benefit, now I use Brim WE getting the no fx fee and 2% Cashback.

Was hoping they would offer something better, but when a prepaid card like Wealthsimple is paying 1% with no fx markup, surprisingly a prepaid card is doing better than HomeTrust, that in itself is interesting....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 25, 2009
2135 posts
2188 upvotes
Got a reminder email today to add my card to my virtual wallet.

Fails every time I try to do so Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Just perfectly consistent
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
9144 posts
10317 upvotes
The Prairies
ticat79 wrote:
when a prepaid card like Wealthsimple is paying 1% with no fx markup, surprisingly a prepaid card is doing better than HomeTrust, that in itself is interesting....
Right, so why do you keep it?
You clearly have an alternative.
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2017
114 posts
118 upvotes
Good point, It's a backup card at best when I'm away, but the short answer is I don't need it. However, it's a free card.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2017
1082 posts
1447 upvotes
Ontario
How is this card overall, good customer service? credit limit increase aren't stingy etc? Looking for a no fee Visa with cash back or points that can be redeem easily.
No forex fees are the same as the Brim MC one right?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)