None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9675 posts
1749 upvotes
Vancouver

Home wifi issue on my phone

I'm sure the solution to this will probably be obvious to most but here goes. My home wifi is about 30 Mbps and every device in the house, new and old, (there are many) gets that speed just fine, except for my phone. In fact, one of the devices with proper speed is the identical model phone to mine (OPX). My phone gets expected speeds on 3G/HSPA and every wifi signal I encounter outside of the house. So it's clearly something unique between my router and my phone.

My experience on my home wifi:

First turn on or come back from airplane mode: 30 Mbps
About 15 seconds later: <100 Kbps
And then it stays like that.

Tried DNSet

Activate DNSet: instantly 30 Mbps

Turn off DNSet: instantly 30 Mbps

So toggling my DNS settings fixes things but then a few seconds later it dies. I never seem to lose my connection completely, it just slows down to dialup speeds.

What settings on my router can I try to play with to fix this? TIA
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
1226 wrote: I'm sure the solution to this will probably be obvious to most but here goes. My home wifi is about 30 Mbps and every device in the house, new and old, (there are many) gets that speed just fine, except for my phone. In fact, one of the devices with proper speed is the identical model phone to mine (OPX). My phone gets expected speeds on 3G/HSPA and every wifi signal I encounter outside of the house. So it's clearly something unique between my router and my phone.

My experience on my home wifi:

First turn on or come back from airplane mode: 30 Mbps
And then it stays like that.

Tried DNSet

Activate DNSet: instantly 30 Mbps

Turn off DNSet: instantly 30 Mbps

So toggling my DNS settings fixes things but then a few seconds later it dies. I never seem to lose my connection completely, it just slows down to dialup speeds.

What settings on my router can I try to play with to fix this? TIA
What speed do you get with speedtest? If you get 30MBPs, then maybe your wifi radio is just going into a power save mode and maintaining the connection at minimum speed to save power when it doesn't need it?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9675 posts
1749 upvotes
Vancouver
ChubChub wrote: What speed do you get with speedtest? If you get 30MBPs, then maybe your wifi radio is just going into a power save mode and maintaining the connection at minimum speed to save power when it doesn't need it?
Like 50 Kbps or something ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
1226 wrote: Like 50 Kbps or something ridiculous.
Both of the phones you have, that are apparently identical, are both fully updated? Maybe check the "About" screen, wherever that is, and see if the radio/firmware/etc are all the same.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9675 posts
1749 upvotes
Vancouver
ChubChub wrote: Both of the phones you have, that are apparently identical, are both fully updated? Maybe check the "About" screen, wherever that is, and see if the radio/firmware/etc are all the same.
Yes they definitely both are. This has been going on for months and we've both installed the same OTA updates in the meantime.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4772 posts
2804 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
If it's only in your house It might be coming from your router.

I'm sure you tried to factory reset the router?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9675 posts
1749 upvotes
Vancouver
vonblock wrote: If it's only in your house It might be coming from your router.

I'm sure you tried to factory reset the router?
Yes tried that. I agree it has to be something not agreeing between my phone and my router.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4772 posts
2804 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
1226 wrote: Yes tried that. I agree it has to be something not agreeing between my phone and my router.
Did you tried changing the router, using another one on the same modem ?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16085 posts
4582 upvotes
Markham
have you tested the speed of your phone on other wifi ? like friends house or work wifi
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9675 posts
1749 upvotes
Vancouver
vonblock wrote: Did you tried changing the router, using another one on the same modem ?
It's one of those Wireless router/modem combo deals. Actiontec V1000H. No I haven't tried another router or modem.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9675 posts
1749 upvotes
Vancouver
Keigotw wrote: have you tested the speed of your phone on other wifi ? like friends house or work wifi
Yeah my phone is fine on any other wifi connection.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9675 posts
1749 upvotes
Vancouver
Did another factory reset of my router and it actually lasted for a couple minutes this time (got my hopes up) but I'm back down to 0.15 Mbps. Ping is still pretty fast at 15ms. Upload is actually way faster (1.57 Mbps) if that means anything.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4772 posts
2804 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
1226 wrote: Did another factory reset of my router and it actually lasted for a couple minutes this time (got my hopes up) but I'm back down to 0.15 Mbps. Ping is still pretty fast at 15ms. Upload is actually way faster (1.57 Mbps) if that means anything.
The problem is related to the combo modern router, that we know for sure.

You should disable the wifi feature of the modem and plug an independent router in your box.

Buy a cheap router and return it if you encounter the same problem. Go for Walmart for easy return.

Router can sometimes do some crazy stuff like you mentioned. Usually a hard reset fix the stuff but sometimes not.