• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 10:51 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 21, 2007
649 posts
96 upvotes

Home Wifi recommendations

Looking for a solid wifi system that consists of a powerful router and several strong APs.

The house is 3 stories + basement. It is all cat6 wired, which I also intend to use to power feed the APs hence need to be PoE.

APs need to be looking slick and mounted on wall or ceiling to blend in…

Any recommd would be appreciated.

Price should not be a deciding factor.

TIA
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13108 posts
4709 upvotes
Ontario
If you want something solid that works, grab one of the latest Asus Routers and for any room or area where you need a stronger signal use one of these hardwired - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MR9 ... EEQB&psc=1

This setup will work great,

now if you want it to look pretty and blend in like you mentioned then look into Ubiquiti - https://ca.store.ui.com/ You will pay more but they look good and are also solid units.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2544 posts
467 upvotes
North York
The ubiquiti access points are good and I've been running them for years. Currently have a pair of the UAP-AC lite's and they are never the problem - the company however has lost a bunch of it's shine, so I'm a little hesitant to recommend, but if you can look past the breach and response to it stuff the products themselves are solid.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2007
649 posts
96 upvotes
sickcars wrote: If you want something solid that works, grab one of the latest Asus Routers and for any room or area where you need a stronger signal use one of these hardwired - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MR9 ... EEQB&psc=1

This setup will work great,

now if you want it to look pretty and blend in like you mentioned then look into Ubiquiti - https://ca.store.ui.com/ You will pay more but they look good and are also solid units.
Thanks for your recommd.

I’m very familiar with the ASUS routers and used them in a single and mesh setup. The issue is that they are ugly and require AC vs poe.

I’ve read great things about Ubi but never used any of their products. Not a newbie but not a pro so not sure how difficult is the setup, maint.

For the Ubi, is there a maint PoE router/appliance or does each AP configured on its own? Maybe need to YouTube it…
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13108 posts
4709 upvotes
Ontario
I have also never used Ubiquiti but have heard great things. as for PoE no idea if they have that, im guessing most routers/switchs/AP will need AC Power, or at least I have not seen many that can run just over PoE but then again its not something I have really looked into much recently.
Navon01 wrote: Thanks for your recommd.

I’m very familiar with the ASUS routers and used them in a single and mesh setup. The issue is that they are ugly and require AC vs poe.

I’ve read great things about Ubi but never used any of their products. Not a newbie but not a pro so not sure how difficult is the setup, maint.

For the Ubi, is there a maint PoE router/appliance or does each AP configured on its own? Maybe need to YouTube it…
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1060 posts
405 upvotes
My Asus AIMesh setup works great with 120 devices online (smart lights/locks/tonnes of smart equipment at home)

Wifi @ 400mbit/400mbit no deadspots, Wired @ 930mbit/900mbit

AC5300/AC87U/Blue Cave - Solid over a year now (3700sqft)
Sep 30, 2015
360 posts
117 upvotes
York, ON
I don’t have one, but there is a thread here on Huawei 6G wifi modem for around $100. According to the users there, signal strength is very good for 3000 sq ft house. It is worth considering if you don’t mind the Chinese made. But most of everything is Chinese made these days.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12919 posts
7676 upvotes
Brampton
I run a whole Ubiquiti Unifi Setup.

Which consists of:

USG-Pro
AC Pro AP
AC Lite AP
USW 8P-60 Managed PoE Switch
USW-24 Managed switch

Some of the parts are considered old.

What I'd switch up is maybe to a a UXG Pro or a Dream Machine Pro V2 in place of the USG-Pro
U6 Lite for the 2 APs.
I'm waiting to see when Ubiquity will do a proper Wifi 6e AP with 2.5Gig Ethernet.

Like Cliff mentioned they have lost their shine with some of their recent releases and products they announced and never released.

It's not all bad tho. I've experienced no issues for the last 3 years and even Canada's Wonderland uses Unifi for their WiFi