Expired Hot Deals

[Homedepot Price match Costco] Kidde 10-Year Hardwired Talking Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, 3-pack $90

[OP]
Dec 12, 2018
38 posts
63 upvotes

Kidde 10-Year Hardwired Talking Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, 3-pack $90

Deal Link:
Price:
$90
Savings:
30%
Expiry:
November 3, 2019
Retailer:
Homedepot Price match Costco
3 pack of Kidde combination CO/smoke (ionization) alarms with built in 10 year battery on sale for $99.99 (from $129.99) at costco. I found this also on homedepot.ca (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/kidde- ... 1000844151) and used their live chat to price match it down to $90.

$30/unit is pretty good, and I wanted to stick with Kidde because I’m replacing 3 expired ones and the install will be simple.
Images
  • 558C5F04-46B6-488E-8C4E-6872B85D2E64.jpeg
41 replies
Aug 12, 2010
545 posts
322 upvotes
Shows $190 at my store, if you can get even the costco price it's a deal
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
[OP]
Dec 12, 2018
38 posts
63 upvotes
geoffs wrote: Shows $190 at my store, if you can get even the costco price it's a deal
Yeah it’s $190 at HD, so they gave me $100 off to meet and beat. I figured I’d post the $129 Costco regular price rather than the $190 that a RFDer would never pay :)
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
4695 posts
3644 upvotes
What's the advantage of this over newer smart detectors, aside from the price?
Feb 24, 2012
136 posts
131 upvotes
Kamloops
Thanks OP, I used online chat to price match. It's a bit of a slow process but pretty easy overall. They price matched down to Costco no problem and then gave me 10% off the original price for a total of $81 plus tax.
Nov 23, 2017
142 posts
83 upvotes
These are ionization alarms not photoelectric if anyone cares.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2018
38 posts
63 upvotes
Yup good to have both, I have ionization ones that expired I’m replacing with these on all floors . My monitored alarm system has a photoelectric sensor.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2018
38 posts
63 upvotes
Costco price was 99.99, the 10% gave me $90. How did you get 10% off $90?
fattymccraigs wrote: Thanks OP, I used online chat to price match. It's a bit of a slow process but pretty easy overall. They price matched down to Costco no problem and then gave me 10% off the original price for a total of $81 plus tax.
Feb 24, 2012
136 posts
131 upvotes
Kamloops
Kmax1980 wrote: Costco price was 99.99, the 10% gave me $90. How did you get 10% off $90?
Not sure, I asked for the price match and without asking any questions he came back with $81. The only thing that makes sense is that he gave me 10% off the original price of $190 after price matching Costco.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2018
38 posts
63 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: What's the advantage of this over newer smart detectors, aside from the price?
No real advantage. They do the job and meet ontario building code requirements for inter connectivity which many smart ones (nest for example) don’t. In fact Kidde detectors probably aren’t as highly rated as first alert brand, but for anyone who already has Kidde units installed and expiring, it might make sense to grab these as a reasonable price replacement as installation is a bit simpler that having to rewire pigtails for a different brand

FWIW, I never had any issues in the 7 years I had my previous Kidde combo units which expire in 2019. The problems reported on Kidde seem to be around units made in 2014 or so that has given them some bad internet talk.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
4695 posts
3644 upvotes
Kmax1980 wrote: No real advantage. They do the job and meet ontario building code requirements for inter connectivity which many smart ones (nest for example) don’t. In fact Kidde detectors probably aren’t as highly rated as first alert brand, but for anyone who already has Kidde units installed and expiring, it might make sense to grab these as a reasonable price replacement as installation is a bit simpler that having to rewire pigtails for a different brand

FWIW, I never had any issues in the 7 years I had my previous Kidde combo units which expire in 2019. The problems reported on Kidde seem to be around units made in 2014 or so that has given them some bad internet talk.
I'm looking at it at the viewpoint that with the advancement of technology the ability to save lives is easier and faster now with a smart detector that it should become a standard in smoke detectors to have various "smart features".
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6116 posts
268 upvotes
Scarborough
I priced matched a set online also. It worked out to $90+tax
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4246 posts
4733 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kmax1980 wrote: No real advantage. They do the job and meet ontario building code requirements for inter connectivity which many smart ones (nest for example) don’t. In fact Kidde detectors probably aren’t as highly rated as first alert brand, but for anyone who already has Kidde units installed and expiring, it might make sense to grab these as a reasonable price replacement as installation is a bit simpler that having to rewire pigtails for a different brand

How hard is it to rewire the pigtails.. that's not at all a good reason to stick with a brand.

FWIW, I have had an issue with my First Alert's going off randomly.
Feb 22, 2013
681 posts
532 upvotes
I periodically hit the test buttons on my detectors. Has anyone experienced what happens when the button is pressed and the detector is "bad"?
May 30, 2015
231 posts
120 upvotes
I was reading the posts in this thread and that made me do a check on what I have.
- Looks that I have two detectors: one in basement and one on the main floor (I don't have a second floor).
- Both are Kidde brand.
- Looking at the outside of the detectors, noticed that one has a label saying "Replace by 2026" and the other says "Replace in 2024"
- They are hardwired, so I think that they are pretty similar with the units presented in this thread.
- But, I also noticed that the unit in the basement is just a "Ionization Smoke Alarm", while the one on the main floor it is a "Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm".

- Is it normal to have the "Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm" only on the main floor and, for the basement, only "Ionization Smoke Alarm"?

Thank you.