• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2016 6:42 pm
[OP]
Jun 20, 2009
671 posts
169 upvotes
GTA

[Home Hardware] Flexogen 50'Garden Hose - $19.97

Got this in Email from Home Hardware. I have one for my backyard, thinking of buying this for front yard.(Too much pain moving the hose front and back :facepalm :)
Images
42 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3962 posts
5496 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
thanks Priya!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1964 posts
389 upvotes
Is t drinking water safe? A lot of these sub $20 hoses tend not to be.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
sixteen12 wrote: Is t drinking water safe? A lot of these sub $20 hoses tend not to be.
what is wrong with people? drinking water from a hose?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1964 posts
389 upvotes
konsensei wrote: what is wrong with people? drinking water from a hose?
Nope I'd just rather water my plants through a hose deemed safe for human consumption.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
sixteen12 wrote: Nope I'd just rather water my plants through a hose deemed safe for human consumption.
Where did you get this drinking water? Filtered tap water, then hose it from inside to outside?

FYI, these garden hoses touch the ground and everything in their way. And when you are not using the hose, dust and small crawling insect get into the hoses. I don't think it's safe for your plants to be drinking such water.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1679 posts
694 upvotes
Thanks OP!

Recommend you edit the subject line to include the store and price.
Feb 20, 2012
527 posts
355 upvotes
KITCHENER
konsensei wrote: When you are not using the hose, dust and small crawling insect get into the hoses. I don't think it's safe for your plants to be drinking such water.
The satire is strong in this one.

Your troll game is on point, I approve.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2743 posts
365 upvotes
Newmarket
konsensei wrote: Where did you get this drinking water? Filtered tap water, then hose it from inside to outside?

FYI, these garden hoses touch the ground and everything in their way. And when you are not using the hose, dust and small crawling insect get into the hoses. I don't think it's safe for your plants to be drinking such water.

what's wrong with drinking water from the garden hose?

growing up in Canada, we all drank water from the water fountain in the school and at the parks. let the water run in the hose for a few minutes to flush any critters and you're good... wtf people that's why you all get sick when a fly lands on your toe nail. no immunity to anything and everyone takes a pain killer for a booboo.

i drink water straight out my kitchen faucet too. i must be some sort of barbarian.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
jimmy-j wrote: what's wrong with drinking water from the garden hose?

growing up in Canada, we all drank water from the water fountain in the school and at the parks. let the water run in the hose for a few minutes to flush any critters and you're good... wtf people that's why you all get sick when a fly lands on your toe nail. no immunity to anything and everyone takes a pain killer for a booboo.

i drink water straight out my kitchen faucet too. i must be some sort of barbarian.
You realized I am mocking the other dude, ya?
We all drank water from hoses and faucets growing up.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2011
2585 posts
1026 upvotes
Winnipeg
Can see the next "health" scam now. "Romaine Lettuce, grown from 100% triple filtered bottled water! On sale for $15"
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2743 posts
365 upvotes
Newmarket
konsensei wrote: You realized I am mocking the other dude, ya?
We all drank water from hoses and faucets growing up.
my bad...

sarcasm WOOSH right over my head.

enjoy the long weekend
Aug 15, 2007
579 posts
239 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Actually some hoses probably use BPA or something similar which can cause cancer and child defects.

I recently purchased a 50' hose with a quick connector from CarQuest, on the back it explicitly states that in California the health hazards I wrote above are required.

It was a $15.99 hose WITH quick connectors, and I will be using it for power washing and watering plants, so I didn't see an issue, but those with kids or plan to drink from your hose you might want to do a little more research.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
biggaroupa wrote: Actually some hoses probably use BPA or something similar which can cause cancer and child defects.

I recently purchased a 50' hose with a quick connector from CarQuest, on the back it explicitly states that in California the health hazards I wrote above are required.

It was a $15.99 hose WITH quick connectors, and I will be using it for power washing and watering plants, so I didn't see an issue, but those with kids or plan to drink from your hose you might want to do a little more research.
Ya, everything is "state of California"... It's a whole acting thing, you know
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2743 posts
365 upvotes
Newmarket
biggaroupa wrote: Actually some hoses probably use BPA or something similar which can cause cancer and child defects.

everything has a california health hazards label.
Nov 26, 2003
569 posts
436 upvotes
GTA
This is the same as Lee Valley’s “Lifetime Hose” http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10399 , which sells for $49.50

From LV:

“This is the last hose you will ever need to buy. Virtually indestructible, it is made of eight-layer construction (many hoses have only one layer) and has a burst strength of 500 psi, well above that of a regular hose. Still, it is only 2/3 the weight of a rubber hose.”

“The outer layer is glossy and abrasion resistant. The 5/8" and 3/4" inside diameters permit greater water flow than the more common 1/2" diameter. At 60 psi and using 50' of hose, the approximate flow rate in gallons per minute is 10.5 for a 1/2", 18 for a 5/8" and 31 for a 3/4" dia. hose. This means much less waiting for watering cans to fill up.”

“The hoses have heavy-duty brass couplings. The 5/8" size has a spring collar at the faucet end to prevent kinks. Each is guaranteed by the manufacturer for as long as you own it. A super buy. Comes in 25', 50', 75' or 100' lengths, and in 5/8" or 3/4" diameters.”

“Made in USA.”
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
stang wrote: This is the same as Lee Valley’s “Lifetime Hose” http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10399 , which sells for $49.50

From LV:

“This is the last hose you will ever need to buy. Virtually indestructible, it is made of eight-layer construction (many hoses have only one layer) and has a burst strength of 500 psi, well above that of a regular hose. Still, it is only 2/3 the weight of a rubber hose.”

“The outer layer is glossy and abrasion resistant. The 5/8" and 3/4" inside diameters permit greater water flow than the more common 1/2" diameter. At 60 psi and using 50' of hose, the approximate flow rate in gallons per minute is 10.5 for a 1/2", 18 for a 5/8" and 31 for a 3/4" dia. hose. This means much less waiting for watering cans to fill up.”

“The hoses have heavy-duty brass couplings. The 5/8" size has a spring collar at the faucet end to prevent kinks. Each is guaranteed by the manufacturer for as long as you own it. A super buy. Comes in 25', 50', 75' or 100' lengths, and in 5/8" or 3/4" diameters.”

“Made in USA.”
"Lifetime hose", your lifetime or the plants' lifetimes?

Also, the question remains "IS IT SAFE TO DRINK THE WATER THAT RUN THROUGH THIS HOSE?". Plants in certain garden/yard will only take drinkable water (for human).
Nov 26, 2003
569 posts
436 upvotes
GTA
Lowe's has it on sale at this week for the same price also--just saw the flyer
Nov 26, 2003
569 posts
436 upvotes
GTA
konsensei wrote: "Lifetime hose", your lifetime or the plants' lifetimes?

Also, the question remains "IS IT SAFE TO DRINK THE WATER THAT RUN THROUGH THIS HOSE?". Plants in certain garden/yard will only take drinkable water (for human).
Don’t drink water from your hose unless it’s certified NSF/ANSI 372