Food & Drink

"homemade japanese restaurant" AYCE near warden & 16th ave

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2006 2:50 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 26, 2004
1923 posts
16 upvotes
I went to this place on Friday and I thought it was really good. They had a big selection, and even had some drinks other than pop. I thought it was an excellent selection of maki rolls, not too much rice, which is a great thing on rolls. The sashimi was fresh. I'd give this place easily an 8 out of 10. Recommended! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
I have been there twice, and the food was good to excellent each time.

Try the beef, it's amazingly well done. Fried oysters are quite nice too. Green tea icecream Mmmmm

$11.99 M-R, 11.99+3.00 F-SS, Holidays.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
1823 posts
169 upvotes
callous wrote:$11.99 M-R, 11.99+3.00 F-SS, Holidays.
seems to be reasonably priced, even for the wkend! too bad i wont be able to try it anytime soon....... :(
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 1, 2005
647 posts
19 upvotes
Leslieville
callous wrote:I have been there twice, and the food was good to excellent each time.

Try the beef, it's amazingly well done. Fried oysters are quite nice too. Green tea icecream Mmmmm

$11.99 M-R, 11.99+3.00 F-SS, Holidays.
11.99 even for dinner? thats cheappp! looks like i'll give it a visit on tuesday
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
silvermist99 wrote:11.99 even for dinner? thats cheappp! looks like i'll give it a visit on tuesday
18.99 for dinner. But that has sashimi. The lunch has no sashimi.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2002
1526 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
Ohh I went once a couple of weeks back. It was pretty good for me actually. The food was good and the service was good. I went at around 4-5 and it only costed me 12 bucks.. tax included. I'd definately go again.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 1, 2005
647 posts
19 upvotes
Leslieville
I went tonight! I like it but for dinner imo its overpriced at $18.99 for weekday, +2 for weekend. The enviorment is really nice, its big and the place is bright & new with new printed doublesided menus. The place fits 150 people & by 8 it was a little more than 1/4 filled. Which was ok I thought for a rainy tuesday night. I hope they make enough to survive.

for drinks they have slushs, the chinese red beans with ice cream drink, pop & milk tea with tapoica avaliable. The slushs kinda taste like the milk slush @ destiny's. Its like milky kinda milkshake ish.. I liked it a lot.

The rolls here are bigger than sake & they have a little bit more variety. The soft crab roll taste better here definately, (sake was a little cold & ikura was big but no taste to it). They got black & gold dragon rolls here which aren't avaliable in the other places. Sushi on 7 have a little bit more rolls I think but I liked the way it taste here better.

Got the usual sushimi, salmon, zapper, saba, white tuna, the clams & some egg thingnie I didn't try. Im not a big fish person, they all pretty much taste the same to me so not much comment on that.

they got the usual sushi & handroll which we didn't order any.

The cooked food section is a little smaller than sake I think, didn't try any of the rices since htey fill you up. The beef terryaki & the usuals are pretty good. They come out hot tasty & fresh without being too salty. They have a interesting thing called "chicken wings" but its looks like ribs (chicken) which was reallly good.

They have fried oyster which are really small oysters and i really liked it (my friend didn't though .. so it might not be for you) Have the fried stuff too, got alll kindas of tempura, they tasted pretty good to me.

Ice cream got the usual green tea, red bean, mango, vanilla. Green tea wasn't on the menu but when you ask them they bring it out.

Service was fine, they place was pretty big & they scattered people everywhere. I can always find a staff when I want to order & they didn't mess up anything.

I'd go again.. for lunch, not sure about dinner... I had a 20% off coupon so it came out to $15 a person before everything. Only thing you're loosing at lunch is the sashimi for $11.99

I'd take this place over ikura, but if you feel more like sashimi go to sake.

& no pics cause my phone camera sucks so I didn't bother taking any =p
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 9, 2005
194 posts
7 upvotes
just went here tonight for dinner. First off negatives.. The sashimi was just not on par with akiyama ( the one that closed down)..which i consider to be the best ayce. The fish for sashimi just didn't seem fresh enough. For sushi though, good experience, they had lots of different rolls to try outside of the usual spider/dragon..etc. and they were well made (good amounts of rice) . Theyre cooked food i thought was great, lots of unique items, ie asparagus wrapped with bacon, eggplant with pork was awesome. Also this place had the beef sashimi (beef tataki) that was well made, better than the one at akiyama. Although not that important to people, the unlimited bubbletea, red bean ice cream slush, ice capuccino and other speciatly drinks were a plus...
Overall it was a good experience, as the service was awesome! fast and no missed orders at all. Place was packed by 8 when i left, but very comfortable seating unlike sushi on 7. On my way out i saw a family waiting for a table and they were given drinks during their wait ( very good to see)

From my experience i would advise you guys to check this place out for lunch, as the only thign missing is the sashimi and thats not something that your missing out on too much.

They also gave me 20% off automatically right on the bill, which was really good, you could call to see how much longer that applies.

i'll probably go back for lunch sometime
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
The Shrimp with Special Sauce (mayo) is probably their best shrimp dish.

Great little place!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
1120 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
aznsupafro wrote:just went here tonight for dinner. First off negatives.. The sashimi was just not on par with akiyama ( the one that closed down)..which i consider to be the best ayce. The fish for sashimi just didn't seem fresh enough. For sushi though, good experience, they had lots of different rolls to try outside of the usual spider/dragon..etc. and they were well made (good amounts of rice) . Theyre cooked food i thought was great, lots of unique items, ie asparagus wrapped with bacon, eggplant with pork was awesome. Also this place had the beef sashimi (beef tataki) that was well made, better than the one at akiyama. Although not that important to people, the unlimited bubbletea, red bean ice cream slush, ice capuccino and other speciatly drinks were a plus...
Overall it was a good experience, as the service was awesome! fast and no missed orders at all. Place was packed by 8 when i left, but very comfortable seating unlike sushi on 7. On my way out i saw a family waiting for a table and they were given drinks during their wait ( very good to see)

From my experience i would advise you guys to check this place out for lunch, as the only thign missing is the sashimi and thats not something that your missing out on too much.

They also gave me 20% off automatically right on the bill, which was really good, you could call to see how much longer that applies.

i'll probably go back for lunch sometime

Ok I'm ready to take a chance on this place tonight.

I'm still pissed that AKIYAMA closed down, it was the best AYCE hands down.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
1120 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Checked the place out last night. You were right, the sashimi is lacking taste. White Tuna was ok, salmon and surf clam were edible. Ordered on round of sashimi and that was it. Ordered the scallop hand cone and they used the cheap fried scallops in the cone! That was it for the cones as well.

Now the good stuff. They had a good selection of cooked foods and different rolls. The beef tataki was the best dish. We had 3 orders of them. The place was semi-full at 8pm. The service was very friendly and generally fast till the place started filling up. No hot waitresses though, sorry fellas.

Another cash discounted AYCE. Our total came to $37.xx with the 20% discount and a 10% service charge.

Not sure if I'd go back, the general experience was good, but the bar has been raised so high by AKIYAMA it's hard not wanting to find the next worthy successor. The search goes on...
Newbie
Feb 23, 2004
85 posts
I want to try this place out. Where/how can I get the 20% discount??
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
You get the discount automatically. The discount only applies for cash-payments.

They seem to have taken down the cash-only sign beside the door recently for some reason.

Hi team_eater... *shivers in fear*
Newbie
Jun 30, 2005
17 posts
Hey,

I think that this has the best quality in non-raw food items. Their pork wrapped enoki mushrooms/asparagus, grilled whole octopus, fried oysters, chicken wings, etc. etc. are of excellent quality. I personally don't think their sushi is the best I've had from the AYCE joints, but it's not bad.

Besides the cooked food, this places stands out above the rest, with the drinks (ie. bubble tea, slushy coffee, slushee fruit drinks (that in my opinion arent that good), chinese plum drink and pops, and redbean ice cream drinks). A friend of mine used to have a business serving mainly red bean ice cream drinks and she said that the beans they use here are truly of an excellent quality.

I never thought that an all you can eat japanese buffet could make me crave the cooked stuff! I LOVE sushi and sashimi but what keeps me coming back here is the grilled food.

Also, I find the service to be nice, though it's frustrating because not all of the waiters/waitresses take orders down. They'll tell you who can though.

Enjoy
Hope you have as good of an experience as I do. I go regularly

Top