Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
2972 posts
648 upvotes

HomePlug networking question

Anyone know if I can connect a HomePlug (powerline) adapter directly to the internet connection coming into my home?
Or does the first device have to be a router?
I have Novus internet service in Vancouver and the only connection is coming into the bedroom.
That is not where I want to keep my wireless router. So I want to use homeplug to extend the connection to another room where the router will be situated.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2683 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, that's allowed. Powerline adapters are essentially invisible to the ethernet network, and it's ethernet between your modem and your router. You will introduce additional lag though, so you might want to do some ping time measurements to see how much with and without.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3737 posts
3260 upvotes
Markham
One heads up for those interested.

Your HomePlug may be interfered by your neighbour's HomePlug, if you live in a condo or townhouse.

I had this experience when I could see my neighbour's router set-up webpage. Presumably she can see mine as well.

The solution is to program a special HomePlug network name (e.g. "MyHPName") for all your HomePlugs. Once done, all your HomePlugs will only talk to each other with the same name i.e. MyHPName. They will not talk to your neighbour's HomePlugs which most likely use a default name common to all brands of HomePlugs.

You need to download a HomePlug set up utility software from the manufacturer's webpage. I however have successfully used such a utility software to program two brands of HomePlugs I am currently using at home.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33861 posts
7500 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
drdtyc wrote: One heads up for those interested.

Your HomePlug may be interfered by your neighbour's HomePlug, if you live in a condo or townhouse.

I had this experience when I could see my neighbour's router set-up webpage. Presumably she can see mine as well.

The solution is to program a special HomePlug network name (e.g. "MyHPName") for all your HomePlugs. Once done, all your HomePlugs will only talk to each other with the same name i.e. MyHPName. They will not talk to your neighbour's HomePlugs which most likely use a default name common to all brands of HomePlugs.

You need to download a HomePlug set up utility software from the manufacturer's webpage. I however have successfully used such a utility software to program two brands of HomePlugs I am currently using at home.
Unless you share the same electrical panel, I doubt this is possible.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3737 posts
3260 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote: Unless you share the same electrical panel, I doubt this is possible.
I have no idea. The two brands of my Homeplugs are Trendnet (4 units) and Belkin (2 units).

Perhaps 'programming' the HomePlug network name is not correct. Instead it could be 'setting up' the HomePlug network name.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2683 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, your powerline ethernet signal can leak outside your home, but you can set up encryption on the adapters.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33861 posts
7500 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
JamesA1 wrote: Yes, your powerline ethernet signal can leak outside your home, but you can set up encryption on the adapters.
Powerline is already slow, encryption will just make it worse.

After giving it some thought, I guess it is possible for it to leak outside your home since your panel is connected to the street just like your neighbours.