Honda Accord Hybrid 2019 vs Toyota Camry Hybrid SE 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2019 7:52 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
172 posts
93 upvotes

Honda Accord Hybrid 2019 vs Toyota Camry Hybrid SE 2019

Hello Peeps. Need some advice in deciding btw a Honda Accord Hybrid (not the Touring version) and a Toyota Camry Hybrid SE. It will be a 4 year lease with $0 down and 20k kms. Few questions for you all:

- The price difference btw the two is quite a bit. Accord hybrid is $480 taxes in whereas Camry Hybrid is $596. Do you feel the difference is justified enough?
- I have barely seen any Accord Hybrids on the roads in GTA despite Honda reliability and a much better price. Is there a reason for this?
- All said and done, which one will you pick?
29 replies
Mar 3, 2019
112 posts
85 upvotes
The Accord will feel more athletic and the interior is nicer fit and finish. Likely more room for passengers and cargo vs Camry
Nov 7, 2017
199 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto, ON
personally I like the how the Camry Hybrid looks comparing to the Accord Hybrid, or any new Accord for that matter
Mar 3, 2019
112 posts
85 upvotes
Right now Accords have better interest rate for 4 year lease - .09% +$750 lease bonus
Toyota has 4.49% for 4 years unless you are loyal Toyota customer they will cut you .5% off the current rate.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3645 posts
1390 upvotes
Wow, that's a big difference in price. Without knowing, I would have expected that the two hybrid cars would be exactly the same price (for reasons of matching the competition).

But are the features and equipment exactly the same?

If you are comparing apples to apples, and all said and done, the Honda is cheaper, go for the Honda BECAUSE IT IS A LEASE.

For financing / long term ownership, I would go for Toyota.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
Are you getting lease guard because from year four onward, warranty on some components will have expired.

A friend returned a Civic on a five year lease a few months ago and I don't she had to pay penalty even if all she did was oil changes at a Toyota dealership. Quite surprised to find out Honda 's leniency.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
172 posts
93 upvotes
Nathanisking wrote: Right now Accords have better interest rate for 4 year lease - .09% +$750 lease bonus
Toyota has 4.49% for 4 years unless you are loyal Toyota customer they will cut you .5% off the current rate.
yea Toyota Lease Rates are decided by their Head Office and mostly Toyota always has one of the highest interest rates in the market
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
172 posts
93 upvotes
Nev0513 wrote: personally I like the how the Camry Hybrid looks comparing to the Accord Hybrid, or any new Accord for that matter
Same. I have never owned a Toyota and absolutely love the way the new Camry looks - that's all that's holding me back from buying an Accord Hybrid. Although the latter is $120 per month cheaper
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
172 posts
93 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Are you getting lease guard because from year four onward, warranty on some components will have expired.

A friend returned a Civic on a five year lease a few months ago and I don't she had to pay penalty even if all she did was oil changes at a Toyota dealership. Quite surprised to find out Honda 's leniency.
Most likely not as I will buy out the vehicle at the end of 4 years. We did get the lease guard for our 4 year leased out Civic 2019
May 27, 2017
249 posts
385 upvotes
Honda hybrids suck, Toyota for reliability
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2797 posts
3657 upvotes
Edmonton
The new Accord Hybrid tech is fantastic and matches a lot of what is in the Clarity. It basically drives like an EV with only electric motor powering the wheels below highway speeds. No transmission.

For the price difference definitely get the Accord. They are comparable vehicles. I think the Accord is like 6.6 0-60 too which isn't shabby.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
ninjasmilez11 wrote: Most likely not as I will buy out the vehicle at the end of 4 years. We did get the lease guard for our 4 year leased out Civic 2019
I see. Then there's no point really to worry about wear and tear.

We have a 16 RAV4H and it's really rock solid reliable.

There were some issues with the 2nd and 3rd gen Priuses going into limp mode but I haven't read anything on RAV4World to suggest it has happened to any 4th gen Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive.

I'm not sure about Honda's hybrid technology but it seems the gasoline engine is responsible for charging the motor, which in turns propel the car until some certain highway speed.

The issue with the Honda hybrids is in winter, the MPG takes a much bigger toll as can be evidenced on reviews on edmunds and other sites, even DriveAccord MPG threads.

Does the Honda Hybrid trim you are leaning towards have the active grill shutter? I put makeshift grill blockers on our RAV4H and 11 Accord, as it seems to help block slush and dirt from coming in anyway.

I just watched Alex on Autos video on the regular 2.0T Accord and he says the new Camry has come a long way is almost class leading too but 4.9% interest for the Camry is way too much.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: The new Accord Hybrid tech is fantastic and matches a lot of what is in the Clarity. It basically drives like an EV with only electric motor powering the wheels below highway speeds. No transmission.

For the price difference definitely get the Accord. They are comparable vehicles. I think the Accord is like 6.6 0-60 too which isn't shabby.
Can't wait for Honda BEVs with longer ranges than the current Clarity. Not a Honda fanboy but Savagegeese seems to like Honda a whole lot.
Jan 12, 2013
576 posts
530 upvotes
Halifax
My opinion - don’t buy a Honda. Their quality standards have plummeted sharply in recent years.

We recently got rid of our ‘16 civic and my only regret is that we didn’t do it sooner.

We have a lease on a ‘17 pilot and I am already counting the days until we can return that as well.

This is coming from someone who has ONLY owned Honda’s in the past - a Fit, numerous civics, Pilot, family owned accords.
Mar 3, 2019
112 posts
85 upvotes
The Accord is the flagship vehicle in their line up. They consistently are reliable and hold their value.
Camry is much the same way, however you are paying more right now due to interest rates.

You can't go wrong with either, and both Toyota and Honda have their issues. So its really what you prefer in terms of performance/looks/interior.

Also the Honda Accord has been picked as Car & Driver's Top Ten Best for the last 22 years. The Camry hasn't been on the list since 1997.