Automotive

Honda Accord Hybrid 2019 vs Toyota Camry Hybrid SE 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2019 7:52 pm
Jan 12, 2013
679 posts
671 upvotes
Halifax
alanbrenton wrote: Our 16 RAV4H (first year hybrid model in North America at least) has been bulletproof lol. Only recall was a tailgate ECU which never affected us but got replaced. I am regretting paying $3k for extended warranty though it covered the first six service visits so more around $2,500.
We have been throwing around the idea of the Highlander Hybrid when the lease expires on our pilot. Also be interesting to see what happens with the Model X and Model Y in terms of pricing/availability/quality as well in a year to 1.5 years time. But for now, we are watching the highlander hybrid.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
TBBA29 wrote: We have been throwing around the idea of the Highlander Hybrid when the lease expires on our pilot. Also be interesting to see what happens with the Model X and Model Y in terms of pricing/availability/quality as well in a year to 1.5 years time. But for now, we are watching the highlander hybrid.
The next gen Highlander will have an I4 engine so close to 35 MPG (or maybe better) so around 15 km per liter.

Those cars are too big for my household so I will stick with compact SUV.

I told my wife no more SUVs as the RAV4 is usually big enough (cargo volume-wise) when picking up family and friends at the airport and future BEV SUVs will be smaller (Audi Q4) or expensive (Model Y at $75k for the AWD version)

I am also observing the Model 3 quality too and if no new AWD BEVs are compelling enough, I may settle for a used LR TM3. Hopefully people are right and Tesla will succeed. It will be good for us, consumers, for Tesla to stay alive and make profits down the road. The more innovation and competition, the better.
Jun 23, 2017
533 posts
284 upvotes
TBBA29 wrote: My opinion - don’t buy a Honda. Their quality standards have plummeted sharply in recent years.

We recently got rid of our ‘16 civic and my only regret is that we didn’t do it sooner.

We have a lease on a ‘17 pilot and I am already counting the days until we can return that as well.

This is coming from someone who has ONLY owned Honda’s in the past - a Fit, numerous civics, Pilot, family owned accords.
We have never bought a Toyota and have heard nothing but amazing stuff about reliability. Know someone who is currently running a '99 corolla at 800k kms. Reliability, looks, and peace of mind is the main reason we want to go the Toyota route.

Whereas, we have had a few bad moments with an '06 Civic. Ours is 300k kms and counting but the paint totally rusted off. Our '19 leased out Civic is doing fine so far with everyone but yeah not happy with the materials.
Nov 15, 2017
846 posts
643 upvotes
Accord Hybrid. I'd get it over other petrol midsized too.
Jun 23, 2017
533 posts
284 upvotes
CanKon wrote: Which dealership quoted you 480 taxes in for an Accord?
$480 is the quoted price taxes in on their site. Checj it out. And I am sure you can easily bring it down to $440 with negotiation
Jan 12, 2013
679 posts
671 upvotes
Halifax
ninjasmilez11 wrote: $480 is the quoted price taxes in on their site. Checj it out. And I am sure you can easily bring it down to $440 with negotiation
Have you test driven either the Accord or Camry hybrids? I would test drive both without considering price, decide which you would buy, then factor price in and see if it alters your decision.

Historically I think Accord Hybrids have been a relatively rare beast to come across at dealerships on their lots - May limit your negotiating power on price. However, Toyota tends to stock more hybrids on their lots - which may enhance your negotiating power. You may be able to narrow the price gap a little more in this way?
Jun 23, 2017
533 posts
284 upvotes
TBBA29 wrote: Have you test driven either the Accord or Camry hybrids? I would test drive both without considering price, decide which you would buy, then factor price in and see if it alters your decision.

Historically I think Accord Hybrids have been a relatively rare beast to come across at dealerships on their lots - May limit your negotiating power on price. However, Toyota tends to stock more hybrids on their lots - which may enhance your negotiating power. You may be able to narrow the price gap a little more in this way?

I test drove the Camry Hybrid SE and loved it. That vehicle is soooo quiet! And although it is lower on tech and safety features (doesn't have TSS 2.0) compared to Accord, I really liked it's fancy interior and exterior.

Also, drove the Accord (gas version) and liked it. The Accord definitely felt more peppy. Yet to drive the Accord Hybrid but heard it's quicker than the gas 1.5
Jun 23, 2017
533 posts
284 upvotes
For anyone looking for an Accord Hybrid (non-Touring) in the GTA, let me know. Found a rep who is offering it for $450 taxes in for 4 year lease and 20k km/year.

Deciding to hold for 1-2 months and see if the Camry Hybrid interest rates drop...
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
That swoop back design of the Accord lowers headroom at the back.

I may have a slightly longer torso for someone 168 cm tall but I think my head is only two inches from the roof.

Another thing to consider if there will be adult passengers sitting at the back.

Don't really know why car makers are designing cars like that.

Didn't know the Camry doesn't have TSS 2.0. First gen ACC is already pretty good but cuts off at 40.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)