[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8549 upvotes
GTHA

Honda Civic 2016+ turbo with tune from Hondata will have more power than the Si

from https://ca.motor1.com/news/144327/honda ... sts-power/

- manual, turbocharged Civic boost increased by 9 PSI, and adds a total 35 peak hp and 60 peak pound-feet of torque
- CVT-equipped, an extra three to six PSI, the latter making it good for 214 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque.
- tune adds no-lift shifting capabilities, and pending CARB approval, it will even be able to pass emissions testing in California
- whichever option will surpasses the Civic Si’s meager 205 hp and 192 lb-ft of torque
- cost $700 (approx. $950 CAD), Hondata dealer $350 (approx $480 CAD)

Hondata link: https://www.hondata.com/flashpro-2016-civic

Anyone consider tuning their vehicle?
21 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34413 posts
20445 upvotes
Center of Universe
Why even make the comparison?
When you add a mod (in this case a tune), it is no longer an even playing field.
Dec 24, 2009
785 posts
432 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Why even make the comparison?
When you add a mod (in this case a tune), it is no longer an even playing field.
So that people can make an informed purchasing decision?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4580 posts
3124 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
That's not bad. Too easy to make cheap power with turbos and tune. I wonder how much hondata can make out of the Si. Probably not too much more since same engine.

Real question would be how much they can make out of Type R. Hope they push 400hp lol
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9603 posts
3021 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
bomber17 wrote: That's not bad. Too easy to make cheap power with turbos and tune. I wonder how much hondata can make out of the Si. Probably not too much more since same engine.

Real question would be how much they can make out of Type R. Hope they push 400hp lol
Considering type R is fwd I see no reason to increase hp/tq numbers, imo its already plenty for that platform.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34413 posts
20445 upvotes
Center of Universe
Stock R wrote: My question is how is the reliability with the tune? What good is extra HP if the reliability of the engine goes down the drain?
With most factory FI vehicles, the factory tune is on the conservative side, but should be for long term reliability.
At least factory tunes are backed by warranty.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4580 posts
3124 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Andro wrote: Considering type R is fwd I see no reason to increase hp/tq numbers, imo its already plenty for that platform.
Yah but you want bragging rights.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2030 posts
1436 upvotes
I wish there was actually some way to do this with more cars. It's such a neat thing.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Apr 20, 2011
84 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal
Just trying to understand how this works... It's there anything that would prevent a couple of friends with Civics 1.5 turbo to buy one flash tool and flash all their respective cars?
Also, what's the impact on the factory warranty? Can one easily "unflash" before going for dealer service?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19902 posts
5274 upvotes
Off the 404
alexvtr wrote: Just trying to understand how this works... It's there anything that would prevent a couple of friends with Civics 1.5 turbo to buy one flash tool and flash all their respective cars?
Also, what's the impact on the factory warranty? Can one easily "unflash" before going for dealer service?

If its anything like my AccessPort for my Ford (also avaliable for Subaru and Mitsubishi I believe), the device is locked to a car once its flashed. Once you unflash it from the original car, then you can flash a second car, and the device will be locked to the 2nd car.

As for factory warranty, well, its a gray area. Once you unflash your car, most dealer usually has no way to detect it, but the manufacturer does have ways to look at the data, but that usually requires the car to be at HQ/factory.

I used to unflash my car before servicing, but I've been lazy and haven't done so in years haha.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34413 posts
20445 upvotes
Center of Universe
alexvtr wrote: Just trying to understand how this works... It's there anything that would prevent a couple of friends with Civics 1.5 turbo to buy one flash tool and flash all their respective cars?
You can purchase a module that plugs into the OBD port and select the different programs based on fuel type.
When you bring it in for service, you load the stock tune, unplug and you're good to go.
While a tech can't see what the actual tune was, the ECU does have a counter and will record it.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21997 posts
2605 upvotes
Andro wrote: Considering type R is fwd I see no reason to increase hp/tq numbers, imo its already plenty for that platform.
+1

Also have fun trying to get warranty for the car... I imagine the CVT wasn't designed for the extra power
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1165 posts
488 upvotes
Can't speak for Honda, but VW/Audi are very good at catching ECU tunes and the computer will automatically flag your car. It used to be that dealerships/service techs could opt to ignore it and not report the tune, but now it's not possible. Flashes/ECU tunes won't automatically void your entire warranty, but if you have any powertrain related issue they'll likely make the case that the increased power was the culprit and deny your claim. They can't however, refuse to fix your interior trim issue because it's completely unrelated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6147 posts
2903 upvotes
Kingston, ON
LoANeal wrote: I wish there was actually some way to do this with more cars. It's such a neat thing.
It's commonly available for turbocharged cars, which are becoming more common (the new normal, really). Some are designed to plug into OBD-II port and get removed before servicing.

In other shocking news, an Si with a tune will end up quicker than a non-Si with a tune. It'll also have the helical Limited Slip Differential to put that power down.