Automotive

Honda Civic Owners - Was this a fair price?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 11:24 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2019
8 posts

Honda Civic Owners - Was this a fair price?

I shopped around some Lower BC Honda dealers for a new 2019 Civic Hatchback LX CVT and haggled one down to $1400 off MSRP (About 1% over invoice according to CarCostCanada) and no document fee (which was $495).
Only 'freebie' was a free tank of gas, they wouldn't budge on anything else. Did I get a good deal? I feel like I could have dropped the price a bit if I waited longer or bounced some more offers around.

Invoice: $24 653 + $300 (White Paint) (Includes Freight & PDI and aircon tax)

MSRP+Freight & PDI: $26 237 + $300 (White Paint)
Fees: $100 (Air Con. Tax)
$25 Tire Tax
$30 Lien Registration Fee
Rebates: -$500 Finance Rebate
-$1400 Discount
Subtotal: $25 262

Total OTD: $27 823 (incl. 12% HST)

If you bought a civic hatchback recently, what was your OTD price?
Last edited by LyingLemur on Jul 18th, 2019 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
26 replies
Banned
Aug 3, 2005
1235 posts
1162 upvotes
Did you test drive it? Or have you driven a CVT before?

If not, I think you should. I tried the 2017 Accord and 2019 Civic CVT, and immediately they were both crossed off my list within minutes.

I'm not a car guy, so I dont know how to verbalize how it feels, but it just felt weird. Like when you punch it, the rpms just go and go....very strange and not pleasant. Also, both cars have a very high pitch winding sounds (but it did not sound like VTECH lol)

Ended up picking up a 2017 Acura TLX Tech with and 8 speed DCT and life is good again. Transmission is literally as smooth as butter.

EDIT: I'm an idiot...did not know OP bought the car already. Anyways, according to unhaggle you got a good price. enjoy.
Last edited by ekcivichb on Jul 18th, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32110 posts
17964 upvotes
Ottawa
Looks like a good deal to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1619 posts
332 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
ekcivichb wrote: Did you test drive it? Or have you driven a CVT before?

If not, I think you should. I tried the 2017 Accord and 2019 Civic CVT, and immediately they were both crossed off my list within minutes.

I'm not a car guy, so I dont know how to verbalize how it feels, but it just felt weird. Like when you punch it, the rpms just go and go....very strange and not pleasant. Also, both cars have a very high pitch winding sounds (but it did not sound like VTECH lol)

Ended up picking up a 2017 Acura TLX Tech with and 8 speed DCT and life is good again. Transmission is literally as smooth as butter.
Thanks for your input but that doesnt answer OPs question.

I think you got a good deal. Enjoy it.
Sr. Member
Sep 25, 2018
576 posts
1077 upvotes
ekcivichb wrote: Did you test drive it? Or have you driven a CVT before?

If not, I think you should. I tried the 2017 Accord and 2019 Civic CVT, and immediately they were both crossed off my list within minutes.

I'm not a car guy, so I dont know how to verbalize how it feels, but it just felt weird. Like when you punch it, the rpms just go and go....very strange and not pleasant. Also, both cars have a very high pitch winding sounds (but it did not sound like VTECH lol)

Ended up picking up a 2017 Acura TLX Tech with and 8 speed DCT and life is good again. Transmission is literally as smooth as butter.

Oh no, you got a DCT? Well, have fun maintaining it if you plan to keep it long term.
Member
Feb 10, 2018
203 posts
34 upvotes
It's a dumb question but why is there a price difference between Invoice & MSRP + PDI? Shouldn't it be Invoice + All the extra fees?
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2019
8 posts
I did test drive it before I bought. I agree that CVT does take some getting used to. There is a bit of lag if you accelerate too hard from a full stop and no noticeable gear shift, but that just comes with the territory.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2019
8 posts
Sorry, my price descriptions probably weren't very clear. "Invoice" cost is the cost the dealer paid/financed for the vehicle and includes freight+PDI and airconditioning tax, while the "MSRP+PDI" is the retail price+freight+PDI and no other fees.
Last edited by LyingLemur on Jul 18th, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2086 posts
1577 upvotes
Markham
LyingLemur wrote: I shopped around some Lower BC Honda dealers for a new 2019 Civic Hatchback LX CVT and haggled one down to $1400 off MSRP (About 1% over invoice according to CarCostCanada) and no document fee (which was $495).
Only 'freebie' was a free tank of gas, they wouldn't budge on anything else. Did I get a good deal? I feel like I could have dropped the price a bit if I waited longer or bounced some more offers around.

Invoice: $24 653 + $300 (White Paint)

MSRP+PDI: $26 237 + $300 (White Paint)
Fees: $100 (Air Con. Tax)
$25 Tire Tax
$30 Lien Registration Fee
Rebates: -$500 Finance Rebate
-$1400 Discount
Subtotal: $25 262

Total OTD: $27 823 (incl. 12% HST)

If you bought a civic hatchback recently, what was your OTD price?
I think you got a decent deal. We got different cars (I got a Sedan Touring with different options) and I got a similar deal in terms of discounts. My MSRP was $28,390, less 2,067.20 in discounts, My OTD was $31,773 incl HST and all the other fees.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2019
8 posts
HDawg wrote: I think you got a decent deal. We got different cars (I got a Sedan Touring with different options) and I got a similar deal in terms of discounts. My MSRP was $28,390, less 2,067.20 in discounts, My OTD was $31,773 incl HST and all the other fees.
Wow, that's pretty a good deal. Can I ask what year & province you bought in? The sport trim was $29k just for MSRP + F&PDI here.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 26, 2019
195 posts
270 upvotes
GVA
If you got 1% over invoice, it's a very fair deal. Let the dealer make a few bucks too, you can't expect to squeeze every penny outta them.

As for actually buying the car, given the gas prices in that area, have you considered a hybrid?
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2019
8 posts
TorontoTrashPanda wrote: If you got 1% over invoice, it's a very fair deal. Let the dealer make a few bucks too, you can't expect to squeeze every penny outta them.

As for actually buying the car, given the gas prices in that area, have you considered a hybrid?
Thanks for your opinion

I did consider hybrids, but I was really looking for a compact car with good cargo space under $30k. For sure a hybrid would have paid for the difference within 5 years though.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2086 posts
1577 upvotes
Markham
LyingLemur wrote: Wow, that's pretty a good deal. Can I ask what year & province you bought in? The sport trim was $29k just for MSRP + F&PDI here.
Ontario (GTA specifically) this past May. I got the Touring 2019.

I got a $300 incentive from the dealer (on top of other discounts) because I bought the white, which was a $300 upgrade. In other words, I got white for free.

So, my breakdown:
MSRP + White paint charge: 28,390
Discount: 2,067.20 (I forgot all the breakdown, but in there was an additional $300 off)
Sale: 26,322

AC Tax: 100
Tire Levy: 29.95
F+PDI: 1655
OMVIC: 10

Total: 28,117.75+HST

FWIW, no freebies here... except my full tank of gas.
Last edited by HDawg on Jul 18th, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Member
Feb 10, 2018
203 posts
34 upvotes
Just a quick question OP, what made you go for LX over the EX? :)
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2086 posts
1577 upvotes
Markham
binarynumber wrote: Just a quick question OP, what made you go for LX over the EX? :)
Gonna guess price? Also, no EX available I believe.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB

Top