Automotive

Locked: Honda CR-V 2017-2020 Oil Dilution? Should I buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 9:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 25, 2018
164 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto

Honda CR-V 2017-2020 Oil Dilution? Should I buy?

Hello there,
I am in the process of getting a new/used car. My wife and I really like the Honda CR-V ( It's spacious, drives nice, and has some nice features in the EX-L and Touring trim compared to other compact SUVs). I have been doing research and saw that many people are complaining about oil dilution with the 1.5 Turbo engine. Cold weather, idling, and driving short distances cause it from what I read. My Grocery store is right around the corner, if it's an issue with driving short distances I don't want to have to drive around 5-10 minutes before I can actually shop. I'm not sure if all the reviews and forums I am reading are just those "needles in a hay stack" as well. CRV and Civics are recalled in China and banned from being sold but Honda hasn't made a recall in North America yet and probably won't until people start dying or hurt. Any thoughts? Anyone else in Ontario or GTA specific have had this issue?
Last edited by davidr519 on Jul 20th, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
102 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19112 posts
18971 upvotes
Richmond Hill
There's a HUGE thread here. Yes oil dilution is real and you may or may not experience it, but there's a good chance. Honda has a defective design with their turbo engines and are trying bandaid solutions to the point where cabin heat is an issue in winter. Do you really want to take this chance? Are you a gambler? LOL

My suggestion. STAY AWAY from any turbo honda.
Last edited by EP32k2 on Jul 17th, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16625 posts
5185 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: There's a HUGE thread here. Yes oil dilution is real and you may or may not experience it, but there's a good chance. Honda has a defective design with their turbo engines and are trying bandaid solutions to the point where cabin heat is an issue in winter. Do you really want to take this chance? Are you a gambler? LOL

You didn't post the link. Yes, avoid these engines until they really fix the problem.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19112 posts
18971 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hightech wrote: You didn't post the link. Yes, avoid these engines until they really fix the problem.
Done.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36402 posts
10659 upvotes
Ottawa
Not all 1.5 turbos have the problem.
Cold weather operations are a problem, even after the recalls were done. The engine is so small that iit just does not produce enough heat, especially n cold weather. Not much heat coming out of the interior vents.
Oil dilution is also a problem especially if you are doing short drives a d not getting the engine up to temperature and keeping it there for a while. The gas "blow by" on start needs to evaporate and that only happens if the engine gets hot and stays hot for a while.
I had a 2017 and after a year and a half, 10K kms , had done 6 oil changes for dilution and had the recalls done and it was no better. I got rid of it and got a Subaru Crosstrek to replace it.
So, I would not recommend getting a 2016 to 2019 CR-V.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2967 upvotes
buying any vehicle is a gamble.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2018
164 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! I didn't realize there was already a post about that here. I think I'll take this advice and keep looking for something else. Really Appreciate it
Dec 1, 2014
263 posts
278 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Like Pete, I had a similar experience. Running the car an extra 10 mins didn't make a difference. What was worse is the winter... the engine could warm-up but the heating inside the car always struggled.

The 2017-2020 CR-V is just not worth it. Rav-4, used RX350, used RDX, Forester or Crosstek, etc.. could all be solid choices.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16625 posts
5185 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Not all 1.5 turbos have the problem.
Cold weather operations are a problem, even after the recalls were done. The engine is so small that iit just does not produce enough heat, especially n cold weather. Not much heat coming out of the interior vents.
Oil dilution is also a problem especially if you are doing short drives a d not getting the engine up to temperature and keeping it there for a while. The gas "blow by" on start needs to evaporate and that only happens if the engine gets hot and stays hot for a while.
I had a 2017 and after a year and a half, 10K kms , had done 6 oil changes for dilution and had the recalls done and it was no better. I got rid of it and got a Subaru Crosstrek to replace it.
So, I would not recommend getting a 2016 to 2019 CR-V.
When I compare the CR-V, I compare it to my 2012 Camry LE 4 Cyl engine with 170K which has no oil dilution issue, or problems with heating. During the winter, I just drive about 8 km and leave my car at the local Go Station. Sitting over 12 hours outside in super cold days, I don't have oil issues or heating problems and this is a good example of short trips and lack of heating that would be the cause in Honda. Frankly, Honda dropped the ball here and the fanboys and other customers who spent $40K+ on a vehicle with "Honda Reliability" are getting $crewed over. $40K might not be a big amount of money to many people, but it sure as heck is for me!

Sorry to hear that you had to trade a vehicle in after 3 years because of this problem. Honda used to make some decent vehicles 15 years ago. It is sad to see a decline in quality on one of Japan's top vehicle manufacturers.
Last edited by hightech on Jul 17th, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36402 posts
10659 upvotes
Ottawa
hightech wrote: When I compare the CR-V, I.......

Sorry to hear that you had to trade a vehicle in after 3 years because of this problem. Honda used to make some decent vehicles 15 years ago. It is sad to see a decline in quality on one of Japan's top vehicle manufacturers.
I only had it for 1 1/2 years. Spent too much time n the shop. The Honda 1.5 L turbo engine in the CR-V was a huge problem (apparently it was a prob;em in other models too but the CR-V took the brunt of the complaints). They even shut down production of the CR-V in China and japan until they could resolve the issue. They re-opened production but the problem remained. The problem seemed to be in cold climate areas, Canada, China, northern US

I now have the, Subaru which was my # 2 choice when researching a crossover but the CR-V had more bells and whistles so, it won the competition LOL.

Crosstrek was a close second and now that I have one, I wished I would have gotten it instead of the CR-V.

Honda still makes great vehicles, they just pooched with this engine.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1157 posts
1152 upvotes
Toronto
I had a 2018 Accord Sport with the 1.5L turbo engine. The car was beautiful inside and out, but boy with the amount of times i was in the shop in the 15 months I had it it just wasn't worth it to keep it any longer.

I do a lot of short distance driving, specially now since now I'm unemployed, so I would be screwing more things up if I kept it. My mech already admitted he could smell the fuel in the oil, but looking back I'm not sure if that's conclusive of an oil dillution. You would have to send it to the lab. Eventually dillution becomes an issue with turbos anyway so I had to give it up.

I would stay away from Turbos specially if its going to be your daily driver. I would need at least 5 years of Honda data to trust their turbo engines.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16625 posts
5185 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: I only had it for 1 1/2 years. Spent too much time n the shop. The Honda 1.5 L turbo engine in the CR-V was a huge problem (apparently it was a prob;em in other models too but the CR-V took the brunt of the complaints). They even shut down production of the CR-V in China and japan until they could resolve the issue. They re-opened production but the problem remained. The problem seemed to be in cold climate areas, Canada, China, northern US

I now have the, Subaru which was my # 2 choice when researching a crossover but the CR-V had more bells and whistles so, it won the competition LOL.

Crosstrek was a close second and now that I have one, I wished I would have gotten it instead of the CR-V.

Honda still makes great vehicles, they just pooched with this engine.
After 1.5 years, you must have taken a big hit on depreciation :(
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2967 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: I had a 2018 Accord Sport with the 1.5L turbo engine. The car was beautiful inside and out, but boy with the amount of times i was in the shop in the 15 months I had it it just wasn't worth it to keep it any longer.

I do a lot of short distance driving, specially now since now I'm unemployed, so I would be screwing more things up if I kept it. My mech already admitted he could smell the fuel in the oil, but looking back I'm not sure if that's conclusive of an oil dillution. You would have to send it to the lab. Eventually dillution becomes an issue with turbos anyway so I had to give it up.

I would stay away from Turbos specially if its going to be your daily driver. I would need at least 5 years of Honda data to trust their turbo engines.
Other brands with turbos dont suffer from oil dilution. BMW is know for its N valves failing, blah blah blah.
Dec 28, 2007
791 posts
593 upvotes
Alberta
EP32k2 wrote: There's a HUGE thread here. Yes oil dilution is real and you may or may not experience it, but there's a good chance. Honda has a defective design with their turbo engines and are trying bandaid solutions to the point where cabin heat is an issue in winter. Do you really want to take this chance? Are you a gambler? LOL

x2. And stay away from any Honda that has a VCM engine.
May 4, 2012
243 posts
202 upvotes
avoid avoid avoid. 2 seperate class action lawsuits against Honda right now. stay away from honda engines on the CRV.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36402 posts
10659 upvotes
Ottawa
hightech wrote: After 1.5 years, you must have taken a big hit on depreciation :(
Actually, I was surprised how much I got. The Subaru dealer wanted it real bad and gave me way more than I expected so I made the deal right away even though I was only looking. LOL
Apr 18, 2010
107 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto-Central
jackrabbit000 wrote: x2. And stay away from any Honda that has a VCM engine.
Which Honda models have VCM engine? I was thinking of getting the Honda Civic sport/touring
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3868 upvotes

Fixed.

Hondas are now pure shit and north worth their weight in scrap metal
Dec 22, 2008
971 posts
412 upvotes
Vancouver
Had 2017 CRV ex. Traded it in few months ago for new SUV as I just didn't enjoy driving the vehicle at all.

Had recall fix for oil dilution. Also had shift knob recall done. I didn't notice any performance issues but being in warmer Vancouver climate vs harsh east winters likely made a big difference.