Automotive

Locked: Honda CR-V 2017-2020 Oil Dilution? Should I buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 9:25 am
Tags:
Banned
Jan 2, 2010
19 posts
33 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Fixed.

Hondas are now pure shit and north worth their weight in scrap metal

Yet you still own one and drive one!
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
2577 posts
3317 upvotes
Toronto
Honda is world's largest manufacturer of internal combustion engines measured by volume, producing more than 14 million internal combustion engines each year.
You'd think they got their shit together after 50 years or so in the biz.

Nope.

Typical dialogue at Honda dealership.
C is poor sucker, a.k.a. customer.
D is douche bag sales person.

C - Excuse me, what are these?
Points at ugly pieces of plastic in the rear bumper.
D - These are imaginary brake cooling vents or some other BS.
C - But there's no holes. Its fake. Just like painted on headlights on cars in cartoon Cars.
D - Don't worry about it, just sign here, here and here.

Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3869 upvotes
VICTOR KWAN wrote: Yet you still own one and drive one!
I'm trying to sell this POS while taking advantage of people still thinking japanese brands are still the shits.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1729 posts
1558 upvotes
Ottawa
VICTOR KWAN wrote: Yet you still own one and drive one!
I've owned more than my share and was super loyal to the brand. Honda has been riding the goodwill of their brand for more years than they deserve. Their numerous and serious issues have been very well documented. I am a long time forum member and contributor of Odyclub, Piloteers and Passport. Yeah, yeah all manufacturers have issues but the consequences of Honda's cost savings, poor engineering decisions and implementation have been debilitating and very costly. My own personal experiences have born this out. So yeah, I am pissed.

Never, NEVER again.
Dec 1, 2014
265 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: x2. And stay away from any Honda that has a VCM engine.
We have an RDX with VCM. It doesn't bother us at all and if it did, we could get a VCM muzzler.

I think Hondas are just not what they use to be...The 90's era hondas were still good.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5545 posts
1397 upvotes
Montreal
cristianosham wrote: buying any vehicle is a gamble.
Have you driven the new Corolla? ;)
Sep 15, 2017
877 posts
1064 upvotes
Could be worse, could be driving a Hyundai. Talk about shit.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes
So not as many reported issues with the 2.0T in the Accord, RDX and the upcoming 2021 TLX?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19687 posts
20137 upvotes
Richmond Hill
oilerfan89 wrote: Could be worse, could be driving a Hyundai. Talk about shit.
Comparing shit to shit is still shit!
Sep 15, 2017
877 posts
1064 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Comparing shit to shit is still shit!
Some shits are better than other shits I guess. Moral of the story, there is always worse shit!Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19687 posts
20137 upvotes
Richmond Hill
oilerfan89 wrote: Some shits are better than other shits I guess. Moral of the story, there is always worse shit!Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
That’s true. Since you could have smelly shits such as the 1.5L turbo... literally LOl
Banned
Jan 2, 2010
19 posts
33 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: I'm trying to sell this POS while taking advantage of people still thinking japanese brands are still the shits.
You been saying that for awhile now, let it go its getting stale
Banned
Jan 2, 2010
19 posts
33 upvotes
Honda may not be what they use to but which manufacture is nowadays? NONE OF THEM! Even high end luxury brands are chit now. It's all about the bean counters now. Having said that i'll stick with Honda over other brands, I still trust them more. Our fleet of domestic trucks at the shop that are not even used hard are constantly in the repair bays and are slowly being replaced with Tundras and for light duty work Ridgelines. In our family we've owned all makes and Honda's have always treated us good.

This oil dilution BS has been blown wayyyyy out of proportion by the non Honda crowds, I know lots of people with the 1.5t that have had ZERO issues, it was corrected early on, but hey if it's on the internet then it must be true, the millions Honda has sold and currently on the road don't account for anything! As for the VCM, again that was an issue on the early engines, it has now been fixed. The one on our Passport is flawless, or do as I did and install the muzzler (i don't care about saving $2 of gas per tank) Oh then theres the ZF9 transmission, again an issue on the early units, problem fixed long time ago! I guess Hyundai/Kia always get it right on the first time and never have massive recalls?
Honda isn't going to hurt because of Redflagers, infact there sales keep increasing, number speak for themselves. And yes you will hear about more issues with Honda, because they sell more vehicles!

Then there's the famous line i've heard many times over and over "Hyundai and Kia came a long way but then the same people that said that sware on there kids they will never buy another one again! One in thing is right, garbage will always be garbage.

It is very evident this is a very pro Hyundai forum so I'm not surprised these threads keep coming up almost weekly that its getting very old now.
Last edited by VICTOR KWAN on Jul 18th, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
VICTOR KWAN wrote: Honda may not ......

This oil dilution BS has been blown wayyyyy out of proportion by the non Honda crowds, I know lots of people with the 1.5t that have had ZERO issues, it was corrected early on, but hey if it's on the internet then it must be true, the millions Honda has sold and currently on the road don't account for anything! .......I guess Hyundai/Kia always get it right on the first time and never have massive recalls?

Honda isn't going to hurt because of Redflagers, infact there sales keep increasing, number speak for themselves. And yes you will hear about more issues with Honda, because they sell more vehicles!

Then there's the famous line i've heard many times over and over "hyundai and Kia came along way but then the same people that said that sware on there kids they will never buy one again! Yup your right garbage will always be garbage.

It is very evident this is a very pro Hyundai forum so I'm not surprised these threads keep coming up almost weekly that its getting very old now.
Let me first say I onwed Hondas.
I can assure you that the oil dilution problem is not waaaay out of proportion. It is a very big problem in cold areas and where people do short trips and do not let the engine warm up sufficiently. It is still a complaint on the Honda forums.
It is also a problem that the interior heat is lacking, to the point they put dampers in front of the radiator to heat the engine up more.

I can assure you this is not a Hyundai/Kia forum. Those companies have taken real shit kickin from posters on RFD (oh and, i also owned Hyudai Accent and Optima)

It is clear you are a Hondaite and it gets under your skin to hear complaints about them but, the 1.5 turbo engine was a disaster early on in all countries. Stopping production in China for 4 or 5 months by order of the government does not occur just because a few people had issues LOL. I admit, it is better now, but it stared out poor.
Banned
Jan 2, 2010
19 posts
33 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Let me first say I onwed Hondas.
I can assure you that the oil dilution problem is not waaaay out of proportion. It is a very big problem in cold areas and where people do short trips and do not let the engine warm up sufficiently. It is still a complaint on the Honda forums.
It is also a problem that the interior heat is lacking, to the point they put dampers in front of the radiator to heat the engine up more.

I can assure you this is not a Hyundai/Kia forum. Those companies have taken real shit kickin from posters on RFD (oh and, i also owned Hyudai Accent and Optima)

It is clear you are a Hondaite and it gets under your skin to hear complaints about them but, the 1.5 turbo engine was a disaster early on in all countries. Stopping production in China for 4 or 5 months by order of the government does not occur just because a few people had issues LOL. I admit, it is better now, but it stared out poor.
You right I am a "hondalite" (whatever the hell that means) but chit on this forum doesn't get under my skin trust me! What I did notice however is when the "Hondalites" defend there loyalty to Honda the non Honda crowd are the one's the get bent out of shape! Yes i'll keep proping Honda up because again they've never let me down where as other makes i've owned were total let downs. Im still calling BS on the 1.5, i've personally owned 2 vehicles with that motor and know several people with them, again ZERO issues.
Stop believing everything your read online bud! Prior to our Passport we had an 18 CRV and my wife's commute is 8 minutes, lots of heat, no smell of gas and no dilution ever! So will I take a sour person on the internet's opinion or real life experience? Sorry you had issue on your EARLY production model but don't paint them all with the same brush.
BTW the china motors where NOT build by Honda, we all know how the Chinese don't lie about anything now do we?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8872 posts
5130 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
VICTOR KWAN wrote: You right I am a "hondalite" (whatever the hell that means) but chit on this forum doesn't get under my skin trust me! What I did notice however is when the "Hondalites" defend there loyalty to Honda the non Honda crowd are the one's the get bent out of shape! Yes i'll keep proping Honda up because again they've never let me down where as other makes i've owned were total let downs. Im still calling BS on the 1.5, i've personally owned 2 vehicles with that motor and know several people with them, again ZERO issues.
Stop believing everything your read online bud! Prior to our Passport we had an 18 CRV and my wife's commute is 8 minutes, lots of heat, no smell of gas and no dilution ever! So will I take a sour person on the internet's opinion or real life experience? Sorry you had issue on your EARLY production model but don't paint them all with the same brush.
BTW the china motors where NOT build by Honda, we all know how the Chinese don't lie about anything now do we?
That is pure garbage... those were Honda engines... so called fix was same/similar in Asia and North America.

Don't own any Hyundai or Kia vehicles however they have improved in quality... just like Honda and Toyota [else they were also considered garbage at one time but improved].

BUT now Honda and Toyota living off yester years' rep whereas other brands are moving up their rep with actual quality.
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
VICTOR KWAN wrote: You right I am a "hondalite" (whatever the hell that means) but chit on this forum doesn't get under my skin trust me! What I did notice however is when the "Hondalites" defend there loyalty to Honda the non Honda crowd are the one's the get bent out of shape! Yes i'll keep proping Honda up because again they've never let me down where as other makes i've owned were total let downs. Im still calling BS on the 1.5, i've personally owned 2 vehicles with that motor and know several people with them, again ZERO issues.
Firstly, I am not your "bud" and will never be. If it is meant to belittle, it is a epic fail.

Secondly, I do not believe everything I read online. I owned a CR-V and had to have 6 oil changes in 10K kms. While I was waiting for those oil changes to be completed, I was witness to many people at the service desk describing their oil dilution issues and heat problems. Honda had numerous tech bulletins and service notes before they made the recalls. I did them all.

Thirdly, while I do no believe all online chatter, I am quite sure the ones on the Honda fanboy sites are quite valid. There are many people like you that drank the Honda koolaid and were still complaining. As I said before and will say again, the issue seems to be related to cold weather operations and short tips. This is known and talked about and written about issue enough to make Honda do recalls to correct them. They even extended the warranty on those engines. So no, it is not BS, it is a fact admitted to by Honda itself.

BTW: "Honda produces small engines at 5 production facilities worldwide. Our production capacity is well over 7 million units. Engines for the U.S. market are primarily sourced from the U.S., Japan, and Thailand." and "Honda have plants in China,the engines are up to company specs,material quality and go through manufacturer QC." Honda builds all their own engines.

I am not going to try and convince or argue with a Honda fanboy of the problems Honda has but if you are so blind to it, well, you are exactly the kind of customer Honda wants...one with blind loyalty.

Mellow out Victor, don't take it personally. Honda will still be building cars LOL

Happy Motoring :)
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Jul 18th, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19687 posts
20137 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hey Victor, which Honda dealership are you from again?
Dec 5, 2009
31 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Prior to your passport. So basically what you are saying is that the oil dilution is so bad, that you traded it in for a V6.

The 1.5T is a known oil dilution problem. I have relatives working at Honda, in the engine warranty department, tell me to stay the hell away from a 1.5T.

So who are you, and why should I take your trash opinion as gospel. GTFO.