Automotive

Locked: Honda CR-V 2017-2020 Oil Dilution? Should I buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 9:25 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4524 posts
3003 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Hey Victor, which Honda dealership are you from again?
Calling out the shills.
Banned
Jan 2, 2010
19 posts
33 upvotes
kleen wrote: Prior to your passport. So basically what you are saying is that the oil dilution is so bad, that you traded it in for a V6.

The 1.5T is a known oil dilution problem. I have relatives working at Honda, in the engine warranty department, tell me to stay the hell away from a 1.5T.

So who are you, and why should I take your trash opinion as gospel. GTFO.
Not traded in but lease ended, 72,000kms of trouble free driving, oh wait the rear wiper blade needed replacement, damm Honda never buying one again!
Would have got another one but it was a bit of a tight squeeze with 2 teens and a 110lb Rottie in the back. Nice try though. Do you always make it a habit of flapping your gums before you know the facts?
Now you can "GTFO"
Last edited by VICTOR KWAN on Jul 18th, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jan 2, 2010
19 posts
33 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Hey Victor, which Honda dealership are you from again?
Im part owner of a haulage company in Caledon, would you like to come by for a tour? I'll even make you an expresso.
Banned
Jan 2, 2010
19 posts
33 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Firstly, I am not your "bud" and will never be. If it is meant to belittle, it is a epic fail.
Damm I epic failed :(
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1769 posts
1256 upvotes
VICTOR KWAN wrote: Not traded in but lease ended, 72,000kms of trouble free driving, oh wait the rear wiper blade needed replacement, damm Honda never buying one again!
Would have got another one but it was a bit of a tight squeeze with 2 teens and a 110lb Rottie in the back. Nice try though. Do you always make it a habit of flapping your gums before you know the facts?
Now you can "GTFO"
That’s many rounds of 8min commute to rack up 72,000kms in 2 or 3 years.

Who do you think built the Honda engines in China? Just curious.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1950 posts
681 upvotes
ORLEANS
Am I lucky?
Have a 2017 civic touring and a 2018 CRV touring. Both 1.5T. But I have never noticed anything out of ordinary when driving them in summer and winter....
Nov 15, 2017
820 posts
621 upvotes
Palidino wrote: Am I lucky?
Have a 2017 civic touring and a 2018 CRV touring. Both 1.5T. But I have never noticed anything out of ordinary when driving them in summer and winter....
Still trouble-free with a 1.5T Civic, even with shorter commute these days Neutral Face
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
VICTOR KWAN wrote: Damm I epic failed :(
Yup, sad ain't it? LOL
VICTOR KWAN wrote: Not traded in but lease ended, 72,000kms of trouble free driving, .... Do you always make it a habit of flapping your gums before you know the facts?
Now you can "GTFO"
Wow Victor,you are taking it personally and telling people to "GTFO" is showing your true self.
We all understand your loyalty to Honda and that is fine but, you need to smell reality and Honda had (has?) serious issue with it's small 1.5L Turbo Earth Dream engine.
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
The amount of salt in this thread is astronomical.

Just change your oil more often if you buy a Honda with fuel dilution issues.

Problem solved.

My HRV with the reliable R18 has fuel dilution problems and it doesn’t even have a turbo. I drive it multiple times a day but the distances are too short for the oil to warm up. Oil testing showed fuel dilution to be @ 3%-4%.

Oil is cheap. Honda’s are generally cheap (cheaper than BMW).

It should be a recommended car here on RFD.

Its interesting that someone remarked BMW’s don’t have fuel dilution issues. My E60 just happens to have every other issue that actually costs big money to fix, compared to fuel dilution.

tldr: change your oil more often instead of whining. it’s a solution that works.
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote: Secondly, I do not believe everything I read online. I owned a CR-V and had to have 6 oil changes in 10K kms. While I was waiting for those oil changes to be completed, I was witness to many people at the service desk describing their oil dilution issues and heat problems.
Have you ever had your oil tested?

I haven’t heard of anyone on bobisthetheoilguy who had to change their oil that often.

Unless there’s proof that the oil wasn’t protective, I feel like this was excessive.

Smell of fuel is not proof. My HRV had this and it wasn’t an issue
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2128 posts
261 upvotes
I also have HRV 2017...
How can I tell if I have fuel dilution ??
Smell gas? I only know how to change glass water...Expressionless FaceExpressionless Face
Oil leak from the bottom??
Thanks Slightly Smiling Face
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
michael007 wrote: Have you ever had your oil tested?

I haven’t heard of anyone on bobisthetheoilguy who had to change their oil that often.

Unless there’s proof that the oil wasn’t protective, I feel like this was excessive.

Smell of fuel is not proof. My HRV had this and it wasn’t an issue
The smell of fuel in the oil is very much a problem, especially if you have been driving for a while and check it and it still smells. Yes, there will always be a bit of fuel "bow by" on a cold started engine but, driving and letting the engine heat up will normally evaporate the fuel but, if it is still there, then it i sa problem.
Also, the dilution was so that the oil level would go up on the dipstick. Engines do not make oil.
If you smell gas on your dipstick, it is a problem as the gas dilutes and affects the viscosity and lubricating properties of the oil. That is why Honda, after the recalls, increased the warranty on the engines.
chinese zzz wrote: I also have HRV 2017...
Smell gas? I only know how to change glass water...Expressionless FaceExpressionless Face
Check your oil level and make sure it is not above the full line.
Does the oil on your dipstick smell like fuel after you have driven the car? If so, you may have fuel in the oil.
I do not know what "I only know how to change glass water" means :)
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote: The smell of fuel in the oil is very much a problem, especially if you have been driving for a while and check it and it still smells. Yes, there will always be a bit of fuel "bow by" on a cold started engine but, driving and letting the engine heat up will normally evaporate the fuel but, if it is still there, then it i sa problem.
Also, the dilution was so that the oil level would go up on the dipstick. Engines do not make oil.
If you smell gas on your dipstick, it is a problem as the gas dilutes and affects the viscosity and lubricating properties of the oil. That is why Honda, after the recalls, increased the warranty on the engines.
Fuel dilution does not always change the viscosity or the lubricating properties of the oil

None is this is proof.

My level was also over the line on the dipstick @ 4% dilution.

Oil testing showed all is well and the oil was in there for close to 16,000km.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t ... -8l.299119

None of this is a problem if you change the oil more frequently. Honda extended their warranty for those who won’t change it more frequently and that’s great.

Good for Honda.
Last edited by michael007 on Jul 19th, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
chinese zzz wrote: I also have HRV 2017...
Don’t worry at all if you have the HRV. It’s only in extreme cases and even in extreme cases, the oil is still within its specifications so your engine will be protected.

Just make sure to change the oil when the car says to do it.

If you have the CRV, maybe do it at 50% if you’re not bothering with oil analysis. Your engine won’t have any issues and your mental health will be in a better place.

Easy peasy
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
michael007 wrote:
Fuel dilution does not always change the viscosity or the lubricating properties of the oil

None is this is proof.

My level was also over the line on the dipstick @ 4% dilution.

Oil testing showed all is well and the oil was in there for close to 16,000km.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t ... -8l.299119

None of this is a problem if you change the oil more frequently. Honda extended their warranty for those who won’t change it more frequently and that’s great.

Good for Honda.
I changed my oil because the warning lights came on,it smelled of fuel and the level was high.
michael007 wrote: Don’t worry at all if you have the HRV. It’s only in extreme cases and even in extreme cases, t.....

If you have the CRV, maybe do it at 50% if you’re not bothering with oil analysis. Your engine won’t have any issues and your mental health will be in a better place.

Easy peasy
http://www.hondaproblems.com/oil-dilution/

https://www.lubricants.total.com/news-p ... nd-effects

Not trying to convince you of anything but, it is not quite as "easy peasy" as you claim. When an OEM increases warranty, it is to appease customers for a significant problem.
There is a long thread about this and it explains and discuses the issue very well.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Jul 19th, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote: I changed my oil because the warning lights came on,it smelled of fuel and the level was high.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/oil-dilution/
So the warning lights came on all the times that you changed the oil 6 times in 10,000km?
Dec 5, 2009
31 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
VICTOR KWAN wrote: Not traded in but lease ended, 72,000kms of trouble free driving, oh wait the rear wiper blade needed replacement, damm Honda never buying one again!
Now you can "GTFO"
Congratulations, you got lucky! Let's ask the rest of the people who unwittingly leased/financed/purchased a 1.5T now have a dud. I guess the salesperson told you that oil dilution was 'normal' and that 'every car suffers from it.' You brought it hook, line and sinker.

Actions speak louder than words. Honda had to extend the warranty on these turd 1.5T's. Perhaps basic research, if you had the time, would prevent you from looking like a Honda shill on RFD.

Also, this is RFD. We really don't care about your offspring and dog. Don't even know why this is relevant? Because it isn't. Pathetic. The source of my understanding of the problem is from the source itself, Honda, with a sample size of all cars with a 1.5T in Canada. The source of your understanding is from a sample size of 1.
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote: Not trying to convince you of anything but, it is not quite as "easy peasy" as you claim. When an OEM increases warranty, it is to appease customers for a significant problem.
There is a long thread about this and it explains and discuses the issue very well.
From what I understand from those who do test their oil on bobistheoilguy, the consensus was just change your oil more frequently and you’ll never notice an issue.

That sounds like a stupidly easy solution to this problem y’all are making out to be like it’s the end of Honda.

I’ve got 101 problems with my Honda but it’s still the best bang for your buck out there - compared to the bmw that was previously mentioned.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2018
170 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
michael007 wrote: The amount of salt in this thread is astronomical.

Just change your oil more often if you buy a Honda with fuel dilution issues.

Problem solved.

My HRV with the reliable R18 has fuel dilution problems and it doesn’t even have a turbo. I drive it multiple times a day but the distances are too short for the oil to warm up. Oil testing showed fuel dilution to be @ 3%-4%.

Oil is cheap. Honda’s are generally cheap (cheaper than BMW).

It should be a recommended car here on RFD.

Its interesting that someone remarked BMW’s don’t have fuel dilution issues. My E60 just happens to have every other issue that actually costs big money to fix, compared to fuel dilution.

tldr: change your oil more often instead of whining. it’s a solution that works.
We aren't talking about the HRV.... The topic is on the CRV. HRV Doesn't have the 1.5 turbo engine
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
davidr519 wrote: We aren't talking about the HRV.... The topic is on the CRV. HRV Doesn't have the 1.5 turbo engine
??? Fuel dilution in oil doesn’t care what engine it’s in.

If the percentage of fuel in the oil is the same, it’s comparable and so it’s on topic

My post proves that with 4% dilution, the oil is still within spec and so the engine is protected (no matter if it’s a R18 or 1.5T)