Automotive

Honda deals - Passport or Pilot?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 10:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5083 posts
8427 upvotes
Canada

Honda deals - Passport or Pilot?

I can get a 2019 Touring 7p Pilot with 30,000kms and 7 year / 160,000 powertrain warranty for $40k all in including taxes.

Or I can get a 2019 Passport Touring with similar kms, warranty, for $37k all in including taxes.

Which would you pick and why? No kids yet, two dogs, trying for a kid and hope to have 2. I do prefer the bench seat...

I had been planning at looking at hybrids or PHEVs like the upcoming Sienna hybrid, but for a secondary vehicle after my PHEV it's not as important (except road trips will be driven only by the person - or in brutal snow storms) and this would save something like $20k or more up front. I have my source for special Honda deals which is also very much influential to looking at them.
11 replies
Jr. Member
Mar 3, 2019
185 posts
171 upvotes
+1 for Passport especially /w two dogs and no kids.

Passport has a more rugged look, while the Pilot is more for multiple small children realistically. %95 of the time the 3rd row will be folded down so why pay extra for it?

3rd row is only good for children up to a certain age - impractical minivan to say the least.

Passport is shorter than the Pilot but it fits better in your situation in my opinion.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2009
2217 posts
1266 upvotes
Montreal
Go with Pilot, for $3k you get a lot more.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15506 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
The pilot is a wanna be van in the shape of a suv, get the passport.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Member
Jul 24, 2014
210 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario
I would go for the Passport. The captains chairs in the Pilot are nice but it’s a pain when you need to carry 5 passengers plus cargo. You will need to flip up at least 1 side of the 3rd row to accommodate the 5th passenger thus reducing cargo room significantly.

If you have no kids and two dogs, the Passport should be a good fit. Not like your dogs will take advantage of the rear entertainment system in the Pilot right? Lol.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5083 posts
8427 upvotes
Canada
seeparks wrote: I would go for the Passport. The captains chairs in the Pilot are nice but it’s a pain when you need to carry 5 passengers plus cargo. You will need to flip up at least 1 side of the 3rd row to accommodate the 5th passenger thus reducing cargo room significantly.

If you have no kids and two dogs, the Passport should be a good fit. Not like your dogs will take advantage of the rear entertainment system in the Pilot right? Lol.
I do like the bench rather than seat. I could always wait for a deal on an 8p Pilot Touring I guess... They have those now.

Rear entertainment seems useless! I'd probably get iPad mounts if I ever wanted to have rear entertainment
Last edited by Blubbs on Feb 14th, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5083 posts
8427 upvotes
Canada
williamsauga wrote: Go with Pilot, for $3k you get a lot more.
A third row and 6 inches, but less ground clearance and worse off road angles. Don't really off-road now but my wife wants to camp and do more mountain stuff.

Is there something else of value in the Pilot that you think I am missing? Cheers
Jr. Member
Mar 3, 2019
185 posts
171 upvotes
I feel as though if you absolutely need 3 row seating, the Pilot is the one to get.

If you prefer the bench seat and have no need for 3 rows, the Passport is the better choice.

Mechanically they are both the same, Passport has better ground clearance.

I believe on lower trims the Passport is better equipped than the Pilot - I could be wrong but I feel that's the case
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5083 posts
8427 upvotes
Canada
koffey wrote: The pilot is a wanna be van in the shape of a suv, get the passport.
Lol, they did do some work to make it more rugged looking for sure, but the two are pretty similar! Definitely improved things with the Passport a bit.

I was impressed by the Pilot's ability off road, with more sidewall it would likely be much better too.

Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5314 posts
5435 upvotes
Ottawa
Neither. That 9 sp ZF transmission is still causing problems.
Last edited by skeet50 on Feb 14th, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2009
2217 posts
1266 upvotes
Montreal
Blubbs wrote: A third row and 6 inches, but less ground clearance and worse off road angles. Don't really off-road now but my wife wants to camp and do more mountain stuff.

Is there something else of value in the Pilot that you think I am missing? Cheers
Bigger vehicle, more cargo room, better mpg.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1289 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
2019 Passport was the first model year. I would avoid those.

2019 Pilot - 4th year of the current model. Should be bulletproof by now.

Drive them both, get a feel for em and see what you think

Top