[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
13633 posts
179042 upvotes
Montreal

Honda Element?

Hi there,

Well, before I was considering getting a small truck to haul things here and there, but I remember checking out a Honda Element years before, it might be more suited to what I will use it for. I know it's been discontinued and somehow, it is a cult or something for the box car. Is it worth it?

Ju Leon..
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
13633 posts
179042 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

I always watch Scotty everyday. :D But it doesn't help on what's the best year, trim, etc?

Ju Leon...
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18756 posts
18303 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Element is a great car with a solid engine. Really can't go wrong buying any year, but as you said they have quite the following and resale value is extremely good on these and you will pay for it.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2682 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga
Awesome car!! My cousin has a 2011 with ~220k on the clock with original engine transmission.

If you look for one, look for one that has been really maintained!!

Have you looked into the Scion xB?
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1186 upvotes
If I recall correctly it is based on the CRV . If they still made them one would be in the driveway beside the CRV . Great little CUV for outdoor type people .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2941 posts
2348 upvotes
Markham
I've driven the later models and the ones I had to move were really beat up by a security company, worst abuse any car will get in service. Amazingly even though they had to go through likely several abusive drivers, all of those Elements still worked properly even the one with 360K km. I too can say its a good car. Age however means a lot of them will be more worn.

I do second the Scion xB as a possible alternative. Not the nicest car, but its extremely practical, they're far easier to find in better condition and will be newer and they're largely forgotten so resale is actually bad for a Toyota product. Its literally a more practical FWD RAV4 for quite a lot less money.
Dec 9, 2013
743 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
Look into the Toyota FJ cruiser if you're using it for outdoors/off terrain
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18756 posts
18303 upvotes
Richmond Hill
miscbrah1 wrote: Look into the Toyota FJ cruiser if you're using it for outdoors/off terrain
FJ cruiser while awesome has a shitty frame. They are literally rotting.
Nov 1, 2015
614 posts
299 upvotes
BC
miscbrah1 wrote: Look into the Toyota FJ cruiser if you're using it for outdoors/off terrain
One with a manual transmission
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
Those engines are notorious for oil burning problems. If you decide to go look at one, make sure you check the dipstick. If it's really low, it probably burns a lot of oil.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18756 posts
18303 upvotes
Richmond Hill
derass wrote: Those engines are notorious for oil burning problems. If you decide to go look at one, make sure you check the dipstick. If it's really low, it probably burns a lot of oil.
Meh it's not that big of an issue. All the K-series engines burn some oil and really with any high mileage car they are all going to burn some oil. Just keep an eye on it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21002 posts
5507 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Maybe just get a Ford Transit Connect.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
13633 posts
179042 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

It's mostly for hauling things. I did consider a truck, but really can't use the back for groceries unless I slap a roof over. *lol*

Being a Honda, I guess it's easy to find parts. I'm reading that Honda is bring it back in 2021...

Ju Leon...
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4083 posts
2864 upvotes
Montreal
An old Caravan will probably be cheaper and more useful given your purpose.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18756 posts
18303 upvotes
Richmond Hill
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

It's mostly for hauling things. I did consider a truck, but really can't use the back for groceries unless I slap a roof over. *lol*

Being a Honda, I guess it's easy to find parts. I'm reading that Honda is bring it back in 2021...

Ju Leon...
As long as it isn't with a turbo, otherwise I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.
Jul 19, 2010
723 posts
364 upvotes
Calgary
Good car, but if you live in Alberta with one, expect to change the windshield Yearly!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2677 posts
2156 upvotes
Man I miss this model...wish Honda kept it around
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)