Automotive

Honda Maintenance Minder A19

  • Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2020 3:31 am
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 18, 2019
10 posts

Honda Maintenance Minder A19

Hi all,

My oil life is at 15% and the maintenance minder showed A 1 9.

Checking through the service website:
A (Replace engine oil) - $86.88
1 (Rotate tires) - $44.88
9 (Front/Rear brakes inspection and service) - $180.00

I always have to do A when I bring my car in to service and the occasional 1, but never 9.

What are your thoughts on going through with the sub-code 9 service? Is it worth it/necessary?
Thanks !
22 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34491 posts
20530 upvotes
Center of Universe
Skip 9...
Go to an independent garage and pay half the price.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3851 posts
3963 upvotes
GTA
Yes, if you want your brakes to work their best and last their longest.
Sr. Member
Oct 4, 2010
551 posts
201 upvotes
Surrey
they wont' charge for the tire rotation if you are doing the brake service since the tires will be off already. Make sure you call to confirm. I didn't have to pay when i did the similar service for my Acura
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2012
930 posts
501 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
derass wrote: Yes, if you want your brakes to work their best and last their longest.
A visual inspection by a qualified independent mechanic can ensure the brakes “work their best” for a more reasonable price; however only the driver can ensure the brakes “last their longest.”
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13256 posts
7377 upvotes
Toronto
100Pacer wrote: A visual inspection by a qualified independent mechanic can ensure the brakes “work their best” for a more reasonable price; however only the driver can ensure the brakes “last their longest.”
it isn't just a "visual inspection", the service portion is removing the pads and calipers, cleaning and lubricating slide pins and the caliper brackets to prevent sticking or seizing.
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2012
930 posts
501 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Swerny wrote: it isn't just a "visual inspection", the service portion is removing the pads and calipers, cleaning and lubricating slide pins and the caliper brackets to prevent sticking or seizing.

Visual inspection and service are different procedures obviously. If you’d like the brakes serviced indicate so and based on mileage a qualified independent mechanic would be happy to do so for less than $180 as required.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3851 posts
3963 upvotes
GTA
100Pacer wrote: A visual inspection by a qualified independent mechanic can ensure the brakes “work their best” for a more reasonable price; however only the driver can ensure the brakes “last their longest.”
I disagree. Brakes work their best when everything is clean, lubed, and moving freely. Which generally isn't the case when the brakes haven't been serviced in forever. Same goes for their life. If things aren't moving freely the pads drag, wearing them and the rotors down quickly. But I agree that driving style contributes too.

It takes me about 4 hours to service my brakes once a year. $180 is 1.5 hrs labour at the dealer, I doubt they do as good of a job in that much time, but it's better than nothing. I wonder what amount of work is done for "a more reasonable price".
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2012
930 posts
501 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
derass wrote: I disagree. Brakes work their best when everything is clean, lubed, and moving freely. Which generally isn't the case when the brakes haven't been serviced in forever. Same goes for their life. If things aren't moving freely the pads drag, wearing them and the rotors down quickly. But I agree that driving style contributes too.

It takes me about 4 hours to service my brakes once a year. $180 is 1.5 hrs labour at the dealer, I doubt they do as good of a job in that much time, but it's better than nothing. I wonder what amount of work is done for "a more reasonable price".
Without knowing mileage achieved and last time brakes were serviced it’s all speculative; however, first step should be an inspection prior to anything else.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3383 posts
686 upvotes
wtf they 9 (Front/Rear brakes inspection and service) - $180.00
$180 to look at the breaks?
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
846 upvotes
you will eat up rotor and pads more quickly if you do not do this once every 24 mths or so
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3851 posts
3963 upvotes
GTA
100Pacer wrote: Without knowing mileage achieved and last time brakes were serviced it’s all speculative; however, first step should be an inspection prior to anything else.
You're right. In typical RFD Auto fashion, OP hasn't provided any of the relevant information.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3826 upvotes
Haha 44$ for tire rotation. 88$ for oil change. All + taxes. Better keep that Honda reliability /sarcasm
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35584 posts
9618 upvotes
Ottawa
EEE2 wrote: wtf they 9 (Front/Rear brakes inspection and service) - $180.00
$180 to look at the breaks?
It all takes time.
Bring the car into the shop
remove wheels,
remove calipers,
Clean rotors and calipers
lubricate sliders
reinstall calipers
reinstall wheels
take car back out.
It all takes time and time is money. $180 is 1 1/2 hr labour. Fair price at a dealer.

Oh and, it is brakes...not breaks :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.

Top