Honda Odyssey 2018

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 9:12 am
[OP]
May 14, 2009
161 posts
22 upvotes

Honda Odyssey 2018

I'm in a market for 7 seater, have two small kids.
Sales person told Highlander or Pilot is little high for kids to get in, asked me to consider mini van.

Sienna LE 2017 offer - 35000$, 41500$ OTR
Odyssey EX 2018 offer - 40000$, 44xxx$OTR

these are just the quote, without any negotiation.

im considering Odyssey because of the features available in 2018 model.
anyone got Odysssey would mind share the price?
61 replies
Oct 7, 2017
232 posts
393 upvotes
Oh wow, 44k without negotiations? I thought I scorred a good deal when got my EX for $46525 thats buyback+ taxes + 48month lease. Basically 535$ per month payments. I guess I got ripped off. I also got free white colour( wife wanted) and 2 oil changes. Damn should have gotted free floor mats, cz they r expensive to buy on its own. I am supposed to pick the mini van up next week.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2475 posts
1180 upvotes
Pupsik27 wrote: Oh wow, 44k without negotiations? I thought I scorred a good deal when got my EX for $46525 thats buyback+ taxes + 48month lease. Basically 535$ per month payments. I guess I got ripped off. I also got free white colour( wife wanted) and 2 oil changes. Damn should have gotted free floor mats, cz they r expensive to buy on its own. I am supposed to pick the mini van up next week.
Don't feel badly. Just because someone is paying less than you doesn't mean you got ripped off. A good deal is you getting something you really like for a price you are comfortable paying. Enjoy your vehicle and don't give it another thought!
Oct 7, 2017
232 posts
393 upvotes
You are right! Thank you for comforting:)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6421 posts
3440 upvotes
Mississauga
tim-x wrote: Don't feel badly. Just because someone is paying less than you doesn't mean you got ripped off. A good deal is you getting something you really like for a price you are comfortable paying. Enjoy your vehicle and don't give it another thought!
Except this is RFD where if you haven’t beat down the new car sales manager then you didn’t get a good deal.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11744 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
philharmonic wrote: Minivan for two kids? Seems like a bit of an overkill. Are you planning on more?
Some also consider pickup on their parents, etc...
I'm not a big van of Mini Vans, but A lot of friends around are getting the Mini Vans with 2 kids.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Feb 27, 2004
38 posts
22 upvotes
I would go for the minivan.
For the past 18 years I have leased both minivans and SUVs and always ended up with the minivan. With two small kids don't forget you have to add car seats, strollers, diaper bags and the occasional relatives. You just can't beat the extra space that the same size suv lacks.
Jan 27, 2008
420 posts
133 upvotes
GTA
dicemax wrote: I would go for the minivan.
For the past 18 years I have leased both minivans and SUVs and always ended up with the minivan. With two small kids don't forget you have to add car seats, strollers, diaper bags and the occasional relatives. You just can't beat the extra space that the same size suv lacks.
For the same reason I'm looking at minivans for my two little boys. When is the best time to shop for cars? Last week of the month? Any particular timing for Honda?
Oct 4, 2012
83 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Def Odyssey, no questions asked! Test drive it and you will feel the difference. Discounts were around 2k last year, not sure if you are financing or cash though. PM if you want more details about it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7446 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a 2015 Odyssey EX and the lease is up next month. My buy back is $16,500

If you have kids, definitely get a Mini Van. I prefer the Honda because it has better driving dynamics compared to the Sienna.

Trying to decide if I should buy out or lease another one.
[OP]
May 14, 2009
161 posts
22 upvotes
philharmonic wrote: Minivan for two kids? Seems like a bit of an overkill. Are you planning on more?
thats what i initially thought minivan is big and option was highlander, pilot.

i dont need 7 seats all the time, occasional use only
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2475 posts
1180 upvotes
xterra wrote:
thats what i initially thought minivan is big and option was highlander, pilot.

Highlander and Pilot have less cargo space, less passenger space, use the same amount of gas, and cost a lot more. You can get a Sienna in AWD if that's what you really want. We seriously considered both a highlander and a pilot before getting a Sienna. We have two small kids and we're thankful that we got a van.

The sliding doors are worth it alone with kids, but the extra cargo space is also much much better. It also means we don't have to pack strategically. Just look up the cargo specs between a highlander and a sienna. Why would you pay more and get less interior space and utility?
Last edited by tim-x on Feb 6th, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 27, 2004
38 posts
22 upvotes
Go for the Odyssey as it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto Apps that the Sienna does not have.
Oct 29, 2006
907 posts
630 upvotes
tim-x wrote: Highlander and Pilot have less cargo space, less passenger space, use the same amount of gas, and cost a lot more. You can get a Sienna in AWD if that's what you really want. We seriously considered both a highlander and a pilot before getting a Sienna. We have two small kids and we're thankful that we got a van.

The sliding doors are worth it alone with kids, but the extra cargo space is also much much better. It also means we don't have to pack strategically. Just look up the cargo specs between a highlander and a sienna. Why would you pay for more and get less interior space and utility?
Don’t know about Toyota, but Odyssey is as expensive as a Pilot.

Yes, the minivan is actually a lot more practical in some situations. But you’re buying a car for 90% of use cases, not 10%. I suppose if you don’t mind having a larger vehicle all the time, get a van. Personally, the size would get in my way a lot more often than the extra space would come in handy, if that makes sense.

Now with three kids, absolute no brainer - van.

Kia Sorento is a fantastic option if you only need an emergency 3rd row.
Jan 27, 2008
420 posts
133 upvotes
GTA
moalsamman wrote: Def Odyssey, no questions asked! Test drive it and you will feel the difference. Discounts were around 2k last year, not sure if you are financing or cash though. PM if you want more details about it.
Were these from their website or a specific dealership?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1469 posts
511 upvotes
Ottawa
xterra wrote: thats what i initially thought minivan is big and option was highlander, pilot.

We rarely need the 7 seats (actually 8 for Odyssey), but it isn't always about the number of seats.

Likes other said, the sliding doors are very useful.

Odyssey is also one of the few vehicles that can fit 3 car seats across easily. You may ask why you care if you only have 2 kids. It's because often it's great to have the option to be able to take your kid's friends, or your friend's kids with you. If my kid's friends come for a play date I can take them all to ice-cream or hiking or biking. Otherwise you have a bunch of kids stuck in the house with too much energy. If they have any after school activities. You can take turn with other parents picking them up from school to the activities. Same thing for March/Xmas/summer camps, especially when your kids and their friends sign up for the same camp at a place far from your home.

Another main reason I went for the Odyssey is that it is the only van you can remove the console and be able to walk to and from the front seats to the 2nd row. This means in bad weather we just all go in the van thru the sliding door and close it, then you can buckle them when you are inside the car. For school drop off it means that you dont have to get out of the car, just get up and step over to the 2nd row, unbuckle them, wait for them to get off and hand them the backpacks, close the door and drive away.

For long trips the kids love the room in the van. With the 2nd row all the way back there are lots of room for them to stretch out. And my wife can go sit with them without making a stop if they need any help.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3400 posts
1308 upvotes
Brampton
csi123 wrote: Likes other said, the sliding doors are very useful.

...Another main reason I went for the Odyssey is that it is the only van you can remove the console and be able to walk to and from the front seats to the 2nd row.
sliding doors +1, especially in non costco parking lots Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

the 2018 Odys don't have the removable centre console anymore as far as I know
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2475 posts
1180 upvotes
philharmonic wrote: Don’t know about Toyota, but Odyssey is as expensive as a Pilot.

Yes, the minivan is actually a lot more practical in some situations. But you’re buying a car for 90% of use cases, not 10%. I suppose if you don’t mind having a larger vehicle all the time, get a van. Personally, the size would get in my way a lot more often than the extra space would come in handy, if that makes sense.

Now with three kids, absolute no brainer - van.

Kia Sorento is a fantastic option if you only need an emergency 3rd row.
The difference in dimensions is pretty negligible. You won't notice am extra 5 or 6 inches in length. Put it this way, you're not squeezing a pilot into anywhere an Odyssey won't.

90% of the time sliding doors will be more useful. The fact is a pilot offers a more expensive alternative to someone that doesn't want to be seem driving a minivan. There really are no practical reasons.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1242 posts
332 upvotes
Vaughan
My wife and I have also been deciding between minivan and SUV and we've concluded the minivan is the way to go. i have two young kids and have really tried to stay away from the minivan and considered a 7seater SUV. Looked at the pilot, highlander, cx9, and santa fe. then decided to take a look at the odyssey and sienna. it just makes so much more sense and we just had to get over the "idea" of it being "uncool" to drive a minivan.

Minivans just have much more cargo room that a normal 7-seater SUV can't replace. if you are getting a bigger car for utility, the minivan is just more practical. if you want more luxury and a "sportier" drive, then go for an SUV. Out of the SUVs, i liked the CX-9 the most but virtually all of them have no trunk space when you put the third row up. with respect to third row seating, i found the pilot the roomiest and the highlander the tightest. I actually didn't like the highlander at all and don't quite understand why there are so many on the road. personally, I would rather just buy a normal SUV instead of the highlander as the third row is virtually useless. We wanted more seating room because with the RDX that we currently have, we can only put the two kids in it. With the carseats buckled in, there's no room for anyone else like in-laws, cousins, etc.

we broke down the many advantages of the minivan (specifically odyssey) over a 7-seater SUV including: more cargo and more/roomier seating space, lower to the ground so kids can climb in themselves at a younger age, sliding doors make it easier for kids to go in and out and to buckle in without worrying about dinging the wall or another car, sliding magic seats make third row access super easy, vacuum cleaner can come super handy, easy to climb to the back to change diapers, haha.. The only disadvantage we could think of other than it being perceived as "uncool" is that family members and friends might call us to haul things around, haha..

I still have my eye on the 2018 odyssey. hoping there will be some rebates down the road especially when they release the 2019 model but I am a bit doubtful.