Automotive

Honda Odyssey 2018

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 9:12 am
Oct 29, 2006
908 posts
632 upvotes
tim-x wrote: The difference in dimensions is pretty negligible. You won't notice am extra 5 or 6 inches in length. Put it this way, you're not squeezing a pilot into anywhere an Odyssey won't.

90% of the time sliding doors will be more useful. The fact is a pilot offers a more expensive alternative to someone that doesn't want to be seem driving a minivan. There really are no practical reasons.
So, technically the Ody is 8.7" longer :D. Someone with urban street parking would definitely feel that difference. And again, the Pilot and Odyssey are very similarly priced once you move up the trim ladder. Some of the additional expense is the AWD system that you don't get in the Ody. The higher ground clearance is also a plus for some.

I think you're generally right, the van in most cases is the smarter choice, but there are a few edge cases where the SUV is more suitable.
Oct 18, 2005
413 posts
156 upvotes
So I'd negotiated a deal for 2018 Odyssey EX for $42,500 OTR. This is the lowest I got, not sure if there are room for more discount.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1670 posts
1247 upvotes
Ottawa
otaknap wrote: My wife and I have also been deciding between minivan and SUV and we've concluded the minivan is the way to go. i have two young kids and have really tried to stay away from the minivan and considered a 7seater SUV. Looked at the pilot, highlander, cx9, and santa fe. then decided to take a look at the odyssey and sienna. it just makes so much more sense and we just had to get over the "idea" of it being "uncool" to drive a minivan.

Minivans just have much more cargo room that a normal 7-seater SUV can't replace. if you are getting a bigger car for utility, the minivan is just more practical. if you want more luxury and a "sportier" drive, then go for an SUV. Out of the SUVs, i liked the CX-9 the most but virtually all of them have no trunk space when you put the third row up. with respect to third row seating, i found the pilot the roomiest and the highlander the tightest. I actually didn't like the highlander at all and don't quite understand why there are so many on the road. personally, I would rather just buy a normal SUV instead of the highlander as the third row is virtually useless. We wanted more seating room because with the RDX that we currently have, we can only put the two kids in it. With the carseats buckled in, there's no room for anyone else like in-laws, cousins, etc.

we broke down the many advantages of the minivan (specifically odyssey) over a 7-seater SUV including: more cargo and more/roomier seating space, lower to the ground so kids can climb in themselves at a younger age, sliding doors make it easier for kids to go in and out and to buckle in without worrying about dinging the wall or another car, sliding magic seats make third row access super easy, vacuum cleaner can come super handy, easy to climb to the back to change diapers, haha.. The only disadvantage we could think of other than it being perceived as "uncool" is that family members and friends might call us to haul things around, haha..

I still have my eye on the 2018 odyssey. hoping there will be some rebates down the road especially when they release the 2019 model but I am a bit doubtful.
You won't regret your decision.

We've had 3 minivans while raising our family. It's the most versatile type of vehicle we've ever owned. It became part of our family - summer camping trips with a fully loaded van, rooftop carrier and 4 bikes, vacations to Florida and along the eastern seaboard, moving furniture and appliances for family and friends, transporting large building material for renos, countless trips moving our children to and from university out of town, etc. That, my friend, is "cool". The number of things we did and the memories we created were priceless. We're still driving one today but will replace it with an SUV within the next couple of years given where we are now in our lives. Looking back, I wouldn't trade the minivan for anything and it was the "coolest" thing we ever owned.
Dec 19, 2008
651 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
ctc027 wrote: So I'd negotiated a deal for 2018 Odyssey EX for $42,500 OTR. This is the lowest I got, not sure if there are room for more discount.
It looks like there is still some room left at that price. If you are in the GTA then send me a PM and I can point you to the right dealership
Feb 27, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
stubby123 wrote: It looks like there is still some room left at that price. If you are in the GTA then send me a PM and I can point you to the right dealership
we are also looking for Odyssey. would love to know the right dealership
Jan 19, 2010
6 posts
Toronto
I am looking for new Odyssey as well. If you can provide the detail of the right dealership. Thanks.
Aug 20, 2006
199 posts
10 upvotes
Anyone have experience buying a 2018 Odyssey recently?

Looking into possibly buying a 2018 Odyssey Touring, EX, or EX-L Res. What kind of All-In pricing should I aim for?
Banned
Apr 1, 2018
30 posts
8 upvotes
The new Odyssey is a great choice and it comes with a lot of new features and technology! It comes standard with a lot of premium features like Honda Sensing (an array of safety tech: breaking mitigation, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control), push button start w/ remote engine start, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, HondaLink (an app that allows you to micromanage your car from your cellphone), versatile seating with multiple different configurations and tons more! If you're interested, PM me and i'll help you out in terms of pricing!
Oct 4, 2011
2 posts
Burlington
stubby123 wrote: It looks like there is still some room left at that price. If you are in the GTA then send me a PM and I can point you to the right dealership
Looking into possibly buying a 2018 Odyssey Touring,or EX-L Res. What kind of All-In pricing should I aim for?
May 21, 2018
54 posts
9 upvotes
I too am looking to purchase a new odyssey EX trim level.
Jun 5, 2007
15 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
otaknap wrote: My wife and I have also been deciding between minivan and SUV and we've concluded the minivan is the way to go. i have two young kids and have really tried to stay away from the minivan and considered a 7seater SUV. Looked at the pilot, highlander, cx9, and santa fe. then decided to take a look at the odyssey and sienna. it just makes so much more sense and we just had to get over the "idea" of it being "uncool" to drive a minivan.

Minivans just have much more cargo room that a normal 7-seater SUV can't replace. if you are getting a bigger car for utility, the minivan is just more practical. if you want more luxury and a "sportier" drive, then go for an SUV. Out of the SUVs, i liked the CX-9 the most but virtually all of them have no trunk space when you put the third row up. with respect to third row seating, i found the pilot the roomiest and the highlander the tightest. I actually didn't like the highlander at all and don't quite understand why there are so many on the road. personally, I would rather just buy a normal SUV instead of the highlander as the third row is virtually useless. We wanted more seating room because with the RDX that we currently have, we can only put the two kids in it. With the carseats buckled in, there's no room for anyone else like in-laws, cousins, etc.

we broke down the many advantages of the minivan (specifically odyssey) over a 7-seater SUV including: more cargo and more/roomier seating space, lower to the ground so kids can climb in themselves at a younger age, sliding doors make it easier for kids to go in and out and to buckle in without worrying about dinging the wall or another car, sliding magic seats make third row access super easy, vacuum cleaner can come super handy, easy to climb to the back to change diapers, haha.. The only disadvantage we could think of other than it being perceived as "uncool" is that family members and friends might call us to haul things around, haha..

I still have my eye on the 2018 odyssey. hoping there will be some rebates down the road especially when they release the 2019 model but I am a bit doubtful.
My wife and I went through a similar thought-process this week and arrived at the same conclusion. We're now in the market for an Odyssey. Did you buy one?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1269 posts
348 upvotes
Vaughan
djp55 wrote: My wife and I went through a similar thought-process this week and arrived at the same conclusion. We're now in the market for an Odyssey. Did you buy one?
I did buy one. I actually just picked it up last weekend. I picked up the 2019 model for a great price. pm me if you want details for he contact.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14638 posts
8805 upvotes
Southern Ontario
We had an EX-L. Leather is great for spills over fabric, and grey leather wears well. We have 2 kids. Bring along the grandparents? Check. Bring along a couple of the kids' friends? Check. Kids small enough to get in but can't close doors? Auto-sliding doors, check. More space than an SUV for luggage/camping? Check. Take out the middle seats and treat it like a pickup bed? Check.

Cool factor? What's not cool about being a loving parent?

The only thing is I had to change snow tires every winter.

The kids are older now and we switched it out for a pickup, they can climb into by themselves, and mostly because we pull a travel trailer. No tire changes as it has hybrids, although if you live in a northern snow belt, nothing beats dedicated snow tires.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1116 posts
514 upvotes
Torontario
AncasterRFD wrote: Cool factor? What's not cool about being a loving parent?
Smiling Face With Sunglasses Well for starters: it looks like a beached humpback whale

Then we can go functional - no rear-heated seats (2nd row or 3rd) option, so the little ones butts can freeze in winder
This 10-speed automatic as well great in the city and gradual acceleration - on a highway if you try to take over, you probably you need to manhandle with kick-downs.
May 24, 2008
283 posts
218 upvotes
Mississauga
ohnabatko wrote: Smiling Face With Sunglasses Well for starters: it looks like a beached humpback whale

Then we can go functional - no rear-heated seats (2nd row or 3rd) option, so the little ones butts can freeze in winder
This 10-speed automatic as well great in the city and gradual acceleration - on a highway if you try to take over, you probably you need to manhandle with kick-downs.
Agree, rear heated seat is good to have but I will take the space and utilization of Minivan over SUV with heated seat any day
Look: Maybe just me but I never find most SUV really good looking anyways to begin with, that is what sport car is for, and I have no shame to be seen driving in Minivan.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I have the 9 speed, can take over any instances with ease highway or local. Not to mention the Odyssey is VERY good handling for the size/weight.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14638 posts
8805 upvotes
Southern Ontario
A whale that carries furniture, drywall, whatever and is decent on gas.

The Ody RES feature has the kids on headphones watching a movie on long rides while playing our own music in the front.

It's cool because we're dads, we care about our families and that's sexy to the wife. We don't give a damn how we look, lol @ 2:00

Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16709 posts
15135 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dicemax wrote: Go for the Odyssey as it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto Apps that the Sienna does not have.
Wow so you would base your buying decision based on a silly infotainment?
Mar 15, 2017
29 posts
11 upvotes
I have a 2017 pilot and will say the only reason why I bought it over the odyssey is because I tow a travel trailer in the summer. If Toyota or Honda made a minivan that could tow 5000lbs I’d be all over it. Hands down minivans are the most practical solution for families.
Oct 2, 2013
755 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
EP32k2 wrote: Wow so you would base your buying decision based on a silly infotainment?
Silly Infotainment is a BIG reason these days. I would take apple car Play or Android Auto over shitty Automaker Infotainment any day which will never get upgraded or gets updated.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16709 posts
15135 upvotes
Richmond Hill
asgr815 wrote: Silly Infotainment is a BIG reason these days. I would take apple car Play or Android Auto over shitty Automaker Infotainment any day which will never get upgraded or gets updated.
You go do that. I’m more concerned about the actual vehicle and not the silly infotainment.