Automotive

Honda Odyssey Brand New Car Chipped Paint and refused delivery

  • Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2019 11:21 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2019
13 posts
35 upvotes

Honda Odyssey Brand New Car Chipped Paint and refused delivery

Hi,
I purchased a brand new 2019 Honda Odyssey and went to take delivery of the vehicle after completing the payment and financing documentation. During the pre-delivery inspection, my wife and I right away noticed chipped paint and visible rust at the both ends of the Hood towards the windshield. Sales person said, it looks like the vehicle is exposed to winter in outside. Sales person brought manager and he acted surprise that paint chipped at both ends. He said, it does not look like rust and just a discolored metal. I refused to take the delivery and told Sales person that I am not buying a brand new vehicle with chipped paint and visible rust. Sales person is going to talk to General manager and will come back with options in a day. Please share your thoughts on how I should deal with this situation.
Thanks
R
New Honda Odyssy Touring 1.JPG
98 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13664 posts
7795 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you have already dealt with the situation by refusing delivery.

Wait and see what options the General Manager gives you
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4719 posts
5727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Discolored metal, is that the optional paint color that Mazda has been offering for many years?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13123 posts
1945 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like the paint was defective and came right off. That is 100% rust. They lied straight to your face Haha.p
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2226 posts
632 upvotes
Maple
it will be fixed, they will repaint it.

They wont rebuild your van if that is what your expecting.

**EDIT

Keep your expectations in order. Remember your probably going to be dealing with this dealership for quite a while during the lifetime of the van. Dont be that customer that causes everyone to scatter when you arrive. Im sure they will fix it 100% and offer some compensation for the trouble, all weather matts ? oil changes? some other accessories you want within reason?

you will get chips like this the moment you go on the highway. It sucks I know, and of course it should be fixed be firm, friendly and reasonable and things will go on your favor.
Last edited by corcoran_chris on May 17th, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35230 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
Do not accept it repainted.
Demand they find you a brand new one or you walk!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15655 posts
16814 upvotes
Oakville
ramana369 wrote: Hi,
I purchased a brand new 2019 Honda Odyssey and went to take delivery of the vehicle after completing the payment and financing documentation. During the pre-delivery inspection, my wife and I right away noticed chipped paint and visible rust at the both ends of the Hood towards the windshield. Sales person said, it looks like the vehicle is exposed to winter in outside. Sales person brought manager and he acted surprise that paint chipped at both ends. He said, it does not look like rust and just a discolored metal. I refused to take the delivery and told Sales person that I am not buying a brand new vehicle with chipped paint and visible rust. Sales person is going to talk to General manager and will come back with options in a day. Please share your thoughts on how I should deal with this situation.
Thanks
RNew Honda Odyssy Touring 1.JPG
If you must accept it fixed, ideally it should have an all new painted hood from the factory.
If it's repaired, insist on an extended paint/rust warranty.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 6, 2017
983 posts
517 upvotes
Manitoba
That the new trend distressed look! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1028 posts
633 upvotes
TDot
That's weird, doesn't look like a rock chip. And if not, how on Earth does paint come off on a new vehicle like that? Almost like it's not adhering to the metal well.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1028 posts
633 upvotes
TDot
corcoran_chris wrote: it will be fixed, they will repaint it.

They wont rebuild your van if that is what your expecting.

**EDIT

Keep your expectations in order. Remember your probably going to be dealing with this dealership for quite a while during the lifetime of the van. Dont be that customer that causes everyone to scatter when you arrive. Im sure they will fix it 100% and offer some compensation for the trouble, all weather matts ? oil changes? some other accessories you want within reason?

you will get chips like this the moment you go on the highway. It sucks I know, and of course it should be fixed be firm, friendly and reasonable and things will go on your favor.
OP, found your dealership's sales staff ^^
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6476 posts
1070 upvotes
Never accept a repaint. That's absolutely rust. At the minimum, get a new hood (but not sure if they will just lie to you and give you the repainted hood.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
11688 posts
8158 upvotes
GTA, ON
engineered wrote: If you must accept it fixed, ideally it should have an all new painted hood from the factory.
If it's repaired, insist on an extended paint/rust warranty.
I agree with this. I'd ask for a new factory hood.

You are buying a new vehicle, not a slightly used vehicle. A little damage that can be repaired like a nick or small dent is one thing, rusted parts is another. Is it surface rust or does it penetrate deeper?

If they fix it I imagine they'll have to remove the hood, sand it all down, prime and paint.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1028 posts
633 upvotes
TDot
chimaican wrote: I agree with this. I'd ask for a new factory hood.

You are buying a new vehicle, not a slightly used vehicle. A little damage that can be repaired like a nick or small dent is one thing, rusted parts is another. Is it surface rust or does it penetrate deeper?

If they fix it I imagine they'll have to remove the hood, sand it all down, prime and paint.
That doesn't even look like the hood though. It looks like the top of the front quarter panel.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
28570 posts
13965 upvotes
Toronto
that looks like side fender panel
Sr. Member
Sep 25, 2018
659 posts
1204 upvotes
Wow, can't believe Honda won't even use galvanized steel in front panels... In contrary my VW's front penal chips didn't "discolor" even after 1 winter without treatment.
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2019
13 posts
35 upvotes
@IndusVally Yes, initially I thought it is on hood. My friend told me it is on quarter panel. And it is one of the hardest part to fix sometimes.
Newbie
May 6, 2019
60 posts
91 upvotes
pick another colour or trim. that way they cannot repaint and give you the same car.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35230 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
ramana369 wrote: @IndusVally Yes, initially I thought it is on hood. My friend told me it is on quarter panel. And it is one of the hardest part to fix sometimes.
They can spot paint that area without removing the entire panel.
But the real question is what caused it.
If it's anything like my Ford Explorer, where the defect was due to bad prep from the factory, a repaint will result in the paint flaking off eventually.
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2019
13 posts
35 upvotes
BTW, the paint chip showed on both sides of the quarter panels. Just not on one side. Is there any possibility of overall paint issue on that vehicle?
Is there a possibility that there is invisible rust which we cannot see but affected the other areas of the vehicle? or Rust only happens on chipped surfaces?
Last edited by ramana369 on May 17th, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4719 posts
5727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ramana369 wrote: BTW, the paint chip showed on both sides of the quarter panels. Just not on one side. Is there any possibility of overall paint issue on that vehicle?
Is there a possibility that there is invisible rust which we cannot see but affected the vehicle. or Rust only happens on chipped paint surfaces. It seems like the car was not
It's a manufacturing defect, the hood was probably misaligned somehow and knicked both corners of the quarter panels.

Top