• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2020 9:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 29, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote

honda odyssey's hidden flaw

I bought a honda odyssey in 2018. It always keeps popping up a message "Shutter Grille Problem" after around 1 hour highway drive.

I had it checked by the dealer but they could not find out the problem. Why? Because when the minivan was sent to the dealer, it had only been driven a short distance and it was cool. They could not recur the problem.

The 3 years warranty is closed to void. I am stucked... :rolleyes:
odysseyProblem.jpg
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6962 posts
3193 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Hence the partnership with GM to develop new, shared SUV/CUV platform is no loss.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17318 posts
19350 upvotes
Oakville
Sounds like the shutters in the grille aren't opening. Demand that the dealer cycles them to prove they work. They should be able to do that with their software.
Otherwise drive to the dealer the next time it happens and demand that they immediately test it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1297 posts
505 upvotes
Vancouver
Yea most dealerships don't want to waste time diagnosing things under warranty. Better for them to push the overpriced maintenance packages.

I would first check the grill shutter to see if there's anything stuck there causing it to not move. This post said it could be a fuse? Maybe check that too.

https://www.odyclub.com/threads/2019-ex ... ed.353931/
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3854 upvotes
The shit honda brand strikes again!

Seriously, when are people going to learn they are overpaying by so much for a product that is not what they think it is for the last 2 decades, and it's become worst and worst. Honda is a trash company, them being with GM is probably going to be an improvement.

I googled only "grille shutter problem" and a bunch of honda hits came back as a result. So add another problem on honda's never ending new problem list. Oil dilution and engine block cracking are my favorite besides the paint peeling and uneven tire wear.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1673 posts
1317 upvotes
Ottawa
Here we go again. Lazy Honda engineering and poor execution.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36030 posts
22171 upvotes
Center of Universe
Active grill shutters! I'm glad Ford dropped that shit.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17014 posts
15629 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vkizzle wrote: Active grill shutters! I'm glad Ford dropped that shit.
Completely pointless and just another thing to breakdown and throw annoying errors lol
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1673 posts
1317 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: Completely pointless and just another thing to breakdown and throw annoying errors lol
Honda's misplaced idea of a technology solution looking for a problem, like their variable cylinder management. Total idiocy.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1782 posts
1537 upvotes
Try a quick test yourself, try turning the a/c on and looking at the shutters, they should be partway or fully open. And on a cool engine should be closed.

I disagree with others, I think they are a good idea. Reduces aero drag and quickens warm up. And protects the coolers when they are closed.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36030 posts
22171 upvotes
Center of Universe
billford wrote: Try a quick test yourself, try turning the a/c on and looking at the shutters, they should be partway or fully open. And on a cool engine should be closed.

I disagree with others, I think they are a good idea. Reduces aero drag and quickens warm up. And protects the coolers when they are closed.
Good idea until they fail.
The small amount of efficiency it offers is not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8758 posts
1981 upvotes
Probably has more of an impact in the winter, truckers and school bus drivers use it by putting those covers on their grills in cold weather so probably worth it to some degree but that's a good old fashioned manual method compared to a fancy tech one that's much more likely to fail.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6962 posts
3193 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
sandav wrote: Honda's misplaced idea of a technology solution looking for a problem, like their variable cylinder management. Total idiocy.
GM tried that in the '70s or '80s. The 8-6-4 or whatever. Didn't know that idea had come back.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6962 posts
3193 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Winkle wrote: Probably has more of an impact in the winter, truckers and school bus drivers use it by putting those covers on their grills in cold weather so probably worth it to some degree but that's a good old fashioned manual method compared to a fancy tech one that's much more likely to fail.
Should have a manual push pull mechanism, like how chokes use to be controlled.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17014 posts
15629 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Winkle wrote: Probably has more of an impact in the winter, truckers and school bus drivers use it by putting those covers on their grills in cold weather so probably worth it to some degree but that's a good old fashioned manual method compared to a fancy tech one that's much more likely to fail.
The reason why you see trucks/buses with covers is because they are Diesel engines. Diesel engines run cooler than gas engines so during winter they never reach operating temp and use more fuel, which is why covers are used.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2045 posts
1044 upvotes
Ontario
Lots of companies still use active air shutters.

Ford even has some wacky ones on their pickups for 2021 the lower air dam (will be great for all those that park by touch!) to make it more aerodynamic...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1782 posts
1537 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Should have a manual push pull mechanism, like how chokes use to be controlled.
Stupid idea.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14693 posts
8994 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote: The shit honda brand strikes again!

Seriously, when are people going to learn they are overpaying by so much for a product that is not what they think it is for the last 2 decades, and it's become worst and worst. Honda is a trash company, them being with GM is probably going to be an improvement.
Every.single.thread
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3854 upvotes
Swerny wrote: Every.single.thread
Because it's true. People have the right to know honda is an absolute trash brand right now.

Everyone who wants to go deeper can check carcomplaints.com, read more there.

It says a LOT if Dodge now is higher in reliability than honda.

Everyone is still welcome to spend premium price for a mediocre at best quality.