• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2022 4:08 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
556 posts
515 upvotes

Honda Plus warranty and covered issues

Hi all.

When I bought my 2017 Honda Civic EX at a dealer, they tried to sell me the Honda Plus warranty and I said no. A couple of months later, I received paperwork showing that I inherited the original owner's extended warranty, covering me up until August 2022. I've never owned a car that still was under warranty so I don't quite know how to use it, and I've never taken my car to a dealer for any reason - I don't trust them.

I noticed a squealing/whistling noise coming from the left side of the car when turning left, only audible when driving with the driver's window rolled down. It's not the brakes.

I suspect it may be a wheel bearing going out, which would be covered under warranty. I'm about to take the car to my trusted independent mechanic for a wheel rotation and oil change and I'll ask him to look into the noise. If he finds out that it is a wheel bearing issue, or something else that is covered under warranty, what's the process for me to get it replaced under warranty? Do I need to take it to the dealer and hope they don't try to scam me?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1579 posts
306 upvotes
Are sure you it’s Honda Plus you inherited from the previous owner or just the standard 5 year drivetrain warranty? Unless it was a CPO car I don’t see a dealer selling additional Honda warranty when theres an existing one.

Wheel bearings would be covered under Honda Plus, but you’ll have to pay a diagnostic fee which would reimbursed when they do the work. If it’s just drivetrain warranty, wheel bearings aren’t covered.
Last edited by Kenneth on Apr 6th, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
556 posts
515 upvotes
Kenneth wrote: Are you it’s Honda Plus you inherited from the previous owner or just the standard 5 year drivetrain warranty? Unless it was a CPO car I don’t see a dealer selling additional Honda warranty when theres an existing one.

Wheel bearings would be covered under Honda Plus, but you’ll have to pay a diagnostic fee which would reimbursed when they do the work. If it’s just drivetrain warranty, wheel bearings aren’t covered.
It's definitely Honda Plus, it displays as "Honda Plus Extended Warranty" in the "MyGarage" platform, it has a contract number and everything. I don't know why the dealer didn't tell me about the existing one or tried to sell me a new one.

I've heard that independent mechanics may be able to perform the work in some cases (maybe it's a US thing?). Is that not a thing here? Does it absolutely have to be done at a dealership?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31603 posts
12903 upvotes
djzapz wrote: Hi all.

When I bought my 2017 Honda Civic EX at a dealer, they tried to sell me the Honda Plus warranty and I said no. A couple of months later, I received paperwork showing that I inherited the original owner's extended warranty, covering me up until August 2022. I've never owned a car that still was under warranty so I don't quite know how to use it, and I've never taken my car to a dealer for any reason - I don't trust them.
You sir have got it right there :) One of the first rules of car ownership, which far too many people do not know. So that's great that you're already a step ahead.
djzapz wrote: I suspect it may be a wheel bearing going out, which would be covered under warranty. I'm about to take the car to my trusted independent mechanic for a wheel rotation and oil change and I'll ask him to look into the noise. If he finds out that it is a wheel bearing issue, or something else that is covered under warranty, what's the process for me to get it replaced under warranty? Do I need to take it to the dealer and hope they don't try to scam me?
Unfortunately yes, the warranty coverage would be through Honda if it's a Honda extended warranty, and I don't believe any "1st party" extended warranty covers repairs done outside their respective dealer network. In this case you should weigh the cost of what it would cost to replace at your trusted place v. the risk of letting a stealer touch the car. I'd say if it's less than a couple hundred bucks, just pay for it out of pocket and forget the "warranty".
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
556 posts
515 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: You sir have got it right there :) One of the first rules of car ownership, which far too many people do not know. So that's great that you're already a step ahead.

Unfortunately yes, the warranty coverage would be through Honda if it's a Honda extended warranty, and I don't believe any "1st party" extended warranty covers repairs done outside their respective dealer network. In this case you should weigh the cost of what it would cost to replace at your trusted place v. the risk of letting a stealer touch the car. I'd say if it's less than a couple hundred bucks, just pay for it out of pocket and forget the "warranty".
Ok, that makes sense - just wanted to make sure. I'll definitely get a quote from my guy and I'll get him to do it if it's not too much, that seems like the way to go. Thanks!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31603 posts
12903 upvotes
djzapz wrote: Ok, that makes sense - just wanted to make sure. I'll definitely get a quote from my guy and I'll get him to do it if it's not too much, that seems like the way to go. Thanks!
Yeah it seems the actual terms/conditions of the warranty (the "fine print") is not easily found online for this. There's a brochure you can see on the website but any real terms & conditions would have to be seen on either the original booklet/paperwork the first owner was provided with at time of purchase; or, perhaps in that "My Honda" thingy you're talking about.

I guess if you wanted to be sure you could always check there or call them and see if they do any reimbursements for outside-the-dealer-network repairs. I'm assuming they only do this in extreme/rare cases like if you broke down somewhere and there wasn't a stealer for 200 mi or something; but doesn't hurt to check.