Automotive

Honda Plus warranty voided by Canadian Tire Tire/Rim change?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2016 8:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto

Honda Plus warranty voided by Canadian Tire Tire/Rim change?

I purchased a 2016 Honda Fit from Parkway Honda brand new in Nov 2015 and also purchased the Honda Plus Comprehensive Warranty. At the time, I had Winter tires installed on delivery, and they gave me the all-seasons to store. Long story short, I had a fire in April, and the tires were lost. I purchased new all-season tires (identical to lost ones) and rims in late April, however Honda was booked solid for the install. I did not want to increase wear on my winter tires, and I asked if my warranty would be affected if I went elsewhere to have the tires installed, and they said no of course not.

Same day, went to Canadian Tire and they did the install. As the weather warmed, I started leaving my windows open. For at least two-three weeks now I have noticed a 'clicking' sound coming from my right passenger tire, but only when someone is seated in the passenger seat. I tried to look for rocks and such on the tire, but cannot locate any. I spoke with Canadian tire, who said they would have a look. I also contacted the dealer, in the event that the issue is unrelated to the tire change. They are telling me that if the issue has anything related to the tire change, then I am not covered under warranty. They are also telling me I have to pay an inspection fee of $125 just to have them look at it.

Does this seem normal? Excuse my ignorance, I am a newish driver, and this is my first vehicle. My understanding was that services done at other providers (such as CT) do NOT void warranty and to keep receipts (which I have). As well, the tires and rims are stock, purchased from the dealer, and the dealer themselves at the time of tire purchase said warranty is unaffected.

I am hoping CT can correct the issue when I see them on Friday, but in the event they cannot, and I have to go to the dealer; does this seem accurate? I feel that I am getting screwed over here (or I am misunderstanding the warranty which I can admit is a possibility).

I thought my Honda Plus covered most of this stuff (including inspection fee). CT also advertises that their work is approved by car manufactures and does not affect warranty status with them.

Google research indicates that my issue could be related to the CV joints, which according to Honda documentation, is covered both by default warranty as well as my extended warranty.

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
20 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
dnavia wrote: I purchased a 2016 Honda Fit from Parkway Honda brand new in Nov 2015 and also purchased the Honda Plus Comprehensive Warranty. At the time, I had Winter tires installed on delivery, and they gave me the all-seasons to store. Long story short, I had a fire in April, and the tires were lost. I purchased new all-season tires (identical to lost ones) and rims in late April, however Honda was booked solid for the install. I did not want to increase wear on my winter tires, and I asked if my warranty would be affected if I went elsewhere to have the tires installed, and they said no of course not.

Same day, went to Canadian Tire and they did the install. As the weather warmed, I started leaving my windows open. For at least two-three weeks now I have noticed a 'clicking' sound coming from my right passenger tire, but only when someone is seated in the passenger seat. I tried to look for rocks and such on the tire, but cannot locate any. I spoke with Canadian tire, who said they would have a look. I also contacted the dealer, in the event that the issue is unrelated to the tire change. They are telling me that if the issue has anything related to the tire change, then I am not covered under warranty. They are also telling me I have to pay an inspection fee of $125 just to have them look at it.

Does this seem normal? Excuse my ignorance, I am a newish driver, and this is my first vehicle. My understanding was that services done at other providers (such as CT) do NOT void warranty and to keep receipts (which I have). As well, the tires and rims are stock, purchased from the dealer, and the dealer themselves at the time of tire purchase said warranty is unaffected.

I am hoping CT can correct the issue when I see them on Friday, but in the event they cannot, and I have to go to the dealer; does this seem accurate? I feel that I am getting screwed over here (or I am misunderstanding the warranty which I can admit is a possibility).

I thought my Honda Plus covered most of this stuff (including inspection fee). CT also advertises that their work is approved by car manufactures and does not affect warranty status with them.

Google research indicates that my issue could be related to the CV joints, which according to Honda documentation, is covered both by default warranty as well as my extended warranty.

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
You replaced the tires so they are no longer covered by the warranty- makes sense. The inspection fee is always questionable, talk to another dealer and ask. I've never paid an inspection fee within the 3 year warranty period, provided I ask for service while paying for something else, like an oil change.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12223 posts
8631 upvotes
Edmonton
If CT damaged something in the tire change (and I've seen them put a screwdriver through a radiator before while working on a bumper, so I'm not putting it past them), then yes, you would be liable for the $125 inspection fee and whatever repairs are required. You could try to get that money back from CT as part of their warranty.

If the issue ISN'T related to the tire change, then you would not be liable for the $125 inspection fee (from what you said), and you wouldn't be liable for any repair costs, assuming there's no deductible. Your Honda Plus warranty would cover the inspection fee if the issue itself is covered by warranty. If it's not covered by warranty (no matter what the cause, like an accident or something), then you'll be responsible for the fee.

As far as the CV joints go... If your car has CV joint issues and it's less than a year old, I'd be very surprised. That's usually a high mileage issue. Not after 6 months.

Good luck! And if I was you, if you end up taking the car in for repairs to the dealer, don't even mention the tire change at CT. Just tell them about the sound and let them figure out the issue. If they want to point it back to some other source, then go from there. You ARE allowed to change your tires without voiding your warranty. As long as you don't do anything stupid at the same time.

C
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies. I already mentioned CT to the dealer that I purchased the car from via live chat and email. I have an appointment with CT on Friday so if they deem it not to be related to the tires I'll take it to a different Honda dealer. As far as I understand, dealers so not see each others notes (from personal experience with a past issue)
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Also, if it indeed an issue that is not under warranty, does it affect the warranty long term? (as in losing it)
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16316 posts
5072 upvotes
London
"Clicking" is usually a nail/screw stuck in your tire
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I hope so. If that's the case is it a cheap fix?
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Driving around minutes ago I dsicovered:

A) clicks even without a passenger
B) only click when turning left or driving straight, click goes away with right turns
C) getting off the 401 I opened my window on the off ramp and no click until I slowed to 60-70
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1487 posts
351 upvotes
Check the tire if there's a nail in it. Easy fix, either DIY with a tire plug or get it fix pretty much anywhere, except Canadian Tire (hell, don't go there... not even to inflate the tires).
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
With Honda Plus, you don't pay the inspection fee upfront. You pay after the diagnosis if and only if the repairs are not covered by the warranty.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I think it might even be related to the hub cap. Going to take it off and see
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3630 posts
747 upvotes
The diagnostic fee they always charge up front, if it is warranty related, they waive the cost.

There is really no way to void the warranty doing the tire change, if the issue is related to the tire, Honda won't cover it. LIke some some said, check the tire to see if any nails,etc.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
So in the end had a buddy stand by as I drove. It was the back right wheel not the front. And we are not sure exactly what caused it but it was related to the hub cap. Removed it and sound went away. Put it back on after inspecting for loose parts and such and no sounds. What a relief.

Thanks for all your input folks. Learner a bit too about how the warranty work
Jun 22, 2014
409 posts
110 upvotes
Markham, ON
Just want to throw this out there, I also have the Honda Plus Comprehensive Warranty on a 2013 Honda Fit. It was thrown in at no additional charge for me.

If it's an issue with a nail in the tire, dealership will repair it under warranty. You are permitted 3 tire repairs / replacements within the warranty period. If the issue is caused by the installation of the tire itself, it would not be covered by Honda.

This is from experience, as I had this issue last month. Honda would have charged me $45 for the repair ($15 at a local garage for my dad's car), but it was covered under warranty. These were also new tires I purchased and installed at Joy City Tires.

And as others have pointed out, diagnostic / inspection fee is waived if you do the repair work with them.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Biskuits wrote: Just want to throw this out there, I also have the Honda Plus Comprehensive Warranty on a 2013 Honda Fit. It was thrown in at no additional charge for me.

If it's an issue with a nail in the tire, dealership will repair it under warranty. You are permitted 3 tire repairs / replacements within the warranty period. If the issue is caused by the installation of the tire itself, it would not be covered by Honda.

This is from experience, as I had this issue last month. Honda would have charged me $45 for the repair ($15 at a local garage for my dad's car), but it was covered under warranty. These were also new tires I purchased and installed at Joy City Tires.

And as others have pointed out, diagnostic / inspection fee is waived if you do the repair work with them.

Good to know. Thanks. Now if the tire install occurred at Honda, I presume any issues related to it would be covered?
Sep 11, 2012
135 posts
36 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
So many good tire shops in the gta and you chose CT?
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
153 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
As mentioned in the original op, newish driver. Live and learn :)
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2879 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
dnavia wrote: So in the end had a buddy stand by as I drove. It was the back right wheel not the front. And we are not sure exactly what caused it but it was related to the hub cap. Removed it and sound went away. Put it back on after inspecting for loose parts and such and no sounds. What a relief.

Thanks for all your input folks. Learner a bit too about how the warranty work
Good diagnostic work!
Hubcaps can make noises, as the rim can flex slightly as you're driving and cause the plastic tabs or metal ring that the hub cap uses to secure itself to the rim to rub and squeak/click/make noise.
May 8, 2016
185 posts
85 upvotes
Your warranty is not being 'voided'. They are just not covering the work of a 3rd party. And as mentioned above there are so many places other then Crappy Tire you can take your car to haha