Automotive

Honda upgrading my car. To good to be true?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 8:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Jan 13, 2015
325 posts
310 upvotes
Brampton, ON

Honda upgrading my car. To good to be true?

Hi Gang,

So today I was in for oil change at Honda dealer. I was then contacted by a sales rep from the same dealership who said the following:

There’s someone whose desperately interested in my 2019 Honda Civic ex. It’s on a 4 year lease and I got it 2019 March. They said they will give me a brand new 2021 Honda Civic. Same payments and for 4 years. Plus I have lease guard which they will give me on the new one.

Besides the obvious that my lease will now start all over again from the day I pick up the new car for another 4 years.

What am I missing? Really sounds way way too good to be true ? He mentioned near the end he will reimburse my oil change that I did today if I decide today. Obviously I know this is a sales men tactic. I didn’t act on anything.

Feel free to to provide your feedback and opinion.
64 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 2, 2008
12427 posts
2145 upvotes
GTA
Forever a new lease......
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31908 posts
18911 upvotes
Toronto
What is due on delivery? $0 down ? All fees rolled into payments?

If it’s just first month + license due, then it’s something worth looking into
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19465 posts
22601 upvotes
GTA
shankman6 wrote: Hi Gang,

So today I was in for oil change at Honda dealer. I was then contacted by a sales rep from the same dealership who said the following:

There’s someone whose desperately interested in my 2019 Honda Civic ex. It’s on a 4 year lease and I got it 2019 March. They said they will give me a brand new 2021 Honda Civic. Same payments and for 4 years. Plus I have lease guard which they will give me on the new one.

Besides the obvious that my lease will now start all over again from the day I pick up the new car for another 4 years.

What am I missing? Really sounds way way too good to be true ? He mentioned near the end he will reimburse my oil change that I did today if I decide today. Obviously I know this is a sales men tactic. I didn’t act on anything.

Feel free to to provide your feedback and opinion.
Used car prices have skyrocketed. He wants to sell your car for profit and lock you into another new lease. Profit for him, more lease payments for you.
New car prices will drop once car production is back to normal next year.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
Car dealerships never and I mean NEVER do anything for the good of the customer, they are in business to make money. You got the offer because the dealership can make money off you and whoever they sell the car to. I get calls from my dealership quarterly about how they will give me top dollar for my trade in if I want to upgrade my paid off Jeep.

Just run the numbers and see if you want the deal but be under no illusions that it's too good to be true, the dealership is making money.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1053 posts
827 upvotes
this sounds to me like the classic "lease swap" program/trick
Jr. Member
Feb 7, 2017
178 posts
217 upvotes
Hey of
Payments are the same and no hidden fees why not? Everyone says that ohh it’s another 4 years but if you waited the full 4 years you probably would have gotten into another lease, now you have the oppurtunity to get one sooner and forgo your commitment on the 2019 if it’s the Same trim it’s a no brainer!

The only thing that could be shitty here is that if they are offering a lower trim leve ex: civic lx. Since you have an ex you are probably used to all the comforts over the LX so that would be a downgrade even if it’s a newer model
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2009
997 posts
1031 upvotes
Vancouver
It’s nothing magic, just that the actual depreciation on the car is now higher than estimated by Honda when they offered you the lease due to the currently high used car values.

If the new 21 Civic looks good to you then great as long as you’re not playing an inflated payment. If you want another car/brand, likely they can do the same deal for you too.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7856 posts
4655 upvotes
West GTEH!
shankman6 wrote: Hi Gang,

So today I was in for oil change at Honda dealer. I was then contacted by a sales rep from the same dealership who said the following:

There’s someone whose desperately interested in my 2019 Honda Civic ex. It’s on a 4 year lease and I got it 2019 March. They said they will give me a brand new 2021 Honda Civic. Same payments and for 4 years. Plus I have lease guard which they will give me on the new one.

Besides the obvious that my lease will now start all over again from the day I pick up the new car for another 4 years.

What am I missing? Really sounds way way too good to be true ? He mentioned near the end he will reimburse my oil change that I did today if I decide today. Obviously I know this is a sales men tactic. I didn’t act on anything.

Feel free to to provide your feedback and opinion.
Are Sales slow for the 2021 Civic?
Maybe Salesguy is trying to move 2021 Civic Inventory? Too many Vehicles sitting around?

If you want to upgrade, at no additional costs and you like the 2021 Civics, then see where this Offer goes.
Sounds too good to be true.
😎
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2385 posts
1878 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
qaz393 wrote: Forever a new lease......
Exactly. Word for word what my MIL excitedly tells me every time her CR-V is “replaced with a new one.”
Banned
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3008 upvotes
MOBB416 wrote: Hey of
Payments are the same and no hidden fees why not? Everyone says that ohh it’s another 4 years but if you waited the full 4 years you probably would have gotten into another lease, now you have the oppurtunity to get one sooner and forgo your commitment on the 2019 if it’s the Same trim it’s a no brainer!

The only thing that could be shitty here is that if they are offering a lower trim leve ex: civic lx. Since you have an ex you are probably used to all the comforts over the LX so that would be a downgrade even if it’s a newer model
+1
+1

One one hand, why not? The fact that you would get into a new generation Civic may be worth it (cause all the improvements).

As long as the trim level stays the same.

And the same payment.

And as long as you were planning to keep leasing anyways.

Then, why not?
______________________________
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19465 posts
22601 upvotes
GTA
You will be at ahead if keep the car, buy it out, and sell it for profit, as the lease buy out will be much lower than market value.
Or buy it out and drive it to the ground.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16980 posts
14583 upvotes
GTA, ON
I get letters in the mail from the stealership all the time saying someone wants to buy my vehicle and I can trade it in for the newest MY.

They're taking you for a ride son.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
You know how many times I get a letter in my mail from a realtor agent saying someone is desperately looking for a house on my street and is willing to pay $XXXXXX above market value? Similar tactics...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16980 posts
14583 upvotes
GTA, ON
Do they also also pull the 'your engine air filter is dirty so we recommend you change it now' by showing you a filthy one that never even came from your vehicle? Oldest trick in the book.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
chimaican wrote: Do they also also pull the 'your engine air filter is dirty so we recommend you change it now' by showing you a filthy one that never even came from your vehicle? Oldest trick in the book.
No, no, no. The engine filter is dirty, you need a new lease.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1437 upvotes
Like others have said. He's selling you a lease on a new car. With low interest rates, that's why he's able to provide you with similar monthly payments (My friends just re-lease a new 2021 Subaru, costing $5 less a month). So he's not doing you any favors.

Now he's going to take your car and make a killing on it. See if you can get a bigger discount on your lease rate considering you were already more than halfway through that lease.
Sr. Member
Oct 4, 2010
849 posts
471 upvotes
Surrey
just be sure they have one in stock for you if you do end up taking the deal. watch out for hidden fees
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16980 posts
14583 upvotes
GTA, ON
matrixfwd wrote: just be sure they have one in stock for you if you do end up taking the deal. watch out for hidden fees
Suckers Fee
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1771 upvotes
Push them to give you 2022 Civic for the same price. That is the new gen Civic and according to reviewers it is a good upgrade from last gen. 2021 Civic will basically be the same exact car you have now.

Top