Tags:
None
39 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
jackrabbit000 wrote: So I deactivated the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) on my 2006 Honda Odyssey. Wow, what a difference...no more vibration, no more cutting in/out of 3 cylinder mode. The engine is so smooth and responsive, the way it should be. And, saves the engine mounts. Device took about 1 min to install and can be removed if the van goes in for service. Doesn't give any codes or CEL. $65 we'll spent. Anyone else buy the VCMuzzler? This thing works on all the 3.5L VCM engines.
Why didnt you get your engine looked at and fixed instead of disabling a fuel saving feature?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
jackrabbit000 wrote: Do you have a Honda or Acura with one of these engines. It's a joke. Causes more grief than anything and for all the technology put into it with active engine mounts that get destroyed by the engine going into 3 cylinder mode...it only gains about 1 mpg over the non VCM engine. It's not just my vehicle, it's the design that the problem and there is no way that Honda/Acura would admit that they screwed up manufacturing this thing. Deactivating the VCM is the best thing ever. Others have actually reported a 1-2 mpg increase in gas mileage.
If there was a problem they would have at-least stopped offering the engine. I would say that the issue might be some cylinders not firing properly( due to what ever other issues might be ).

here --> http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/082013_13.pdf
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41797 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
An Odyssey is not even a gas guzzler, not sure why Honda decided to drop to 3cyl, where 4cyl would be just fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2207 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
I know this was just introduced to the 16 RDX.. I haven't heard of this being an issue before and was actually looking forward to it.

Anyone have any experience besides on the odyssey? I know it was available on many different models
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
Don't feel the cut in, I keep hearing about this online though.
Feb 2, 2014
504 posts
246 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: So I deactivated the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) on my 2006 Honda Odyssey. Wow, what a difference...no more vibration, no more cutting in/out of 3 cylinder mode. The engine is so smooth and responsive, the way it should be. And, saves the engine mounts. Device took about 1 min to install and can be removed if the van goes in for service. Doesn't give any codes or CEL. $65 we'll spent. Anyone else buy the VCMuzzler? This thing works on all the 3.5L VCM engines.
I'm using it as well on my pilot. I have the gen 1 VCMuzzler for $59. I have been using it for almost three months now. I was one of the first 10 people who got it on piloteers. You should really thank the inventor of this devise verbatim on piloteers.org. He has invested quite a bit of his own time and money on this.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
Not to mention the oil sludge problem. Only use Synthetic in these engines! My TL doesn't have VCM but my dad's accord hybrid does.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
jackrabbit000 wrote: Thanks for the link, I've seen this on a Honda TSB. I already replaced 2 rear engine mounts on my Odyssey and so have a lot of other guys. The problem is still from the engine deactivating 1/2 of the cylinders. Honda deactivates the 3 cylinders in the rear of the engine and runs only the front 3. This is what I think is destroying the engine mounts. Check this out:

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2012 ... r-way.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2 ... sable.html
The reason I gave you that link is that it appears to indicate that Honda redesigned or modified the mount with a new part number. I presume that the new part would have a better life than the original.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
vkizzle wrote: An Odyssey is not even a gas guzzler, not sure why Honda decided to drop to 3cyl, where 4cyl would be just fine.
typically whenever its a V configuration engine, it has equal number of cylinders on each side. manufacturers disable one side of the V so that it becomes a straight engine for the duration. for a V6 firing 4 cylinders is not an option. If it was a V8 then it would be possible to fire only 4 cylinders.
Feb 2, 2014
504 posts
246 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: typically whenever its a V configuration engine, it has equal number of cylinders on each side. manufacturers disable one side of the V so that it becomes a straight engine for the duration. for a V6 firing 4 cylinders is not an option. If it was a V8 then it would be possible to fire only 4 cylinders.
Not true, because the pilot is V6 and it can go into 3 OR 4 cylinder mode depending on speed and load.
Feb 2, 2014
504 posts
246 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: You should see if he will send you a Gen 2 and return the Gen 1 when you receive it. Someone else did this and he was OK with it. The Gen 2 is a way nicer unit and more compact. It comes with the 82 and 120 ohm resistors but I bought the 100 ohm as well. Takes 30 secs to change out the resistors if needed.

I actually met verbatim, he dropped the Gen 2 off at my house. I did thank him and told him that this is an ingenious device that he made and for spending the time researching and sourcing all the different the connectors.
On piloteers he is offering to refurb the gen 1 units to gen 2 for $10 but I haven't bothered yet because I haven't experienced any issues with the 82 ohm resistor. If I do start experiencing VCM during very hot days in stop and go traffic then I'll just switch the resistor to 120 ohm myself. As I understand it, the 82 ohm resistor was not keeping the temperature low enough for people in the southern states with stop and go traffic due to higher ambient temperature. This shouldn't be an issue in Ontario.
Jul 7, 2010
805 posts
109 upvotes
burbs
i would not drive a 3.5 with VCM without one of these devices. the issues with VCM are becoming more prevalent. what's going on with honda? the transmission debacle in the early 2000's and now VCM? i'd be hard pressed to buy another honda
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
My 6 speed 3.5L Nissan can get 550 easy and past 600 km with careful driving... 2 lines before empty

No technology
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
I have the 09 accord v6 ex-l. What kind of problems do you get the with the vcm and why is this needed? This is probably the first time I am hearing about this issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
jackrabbit000 wrote: The Muzzler eliminates that annoying shudder that happens when the motor drops into ECO or 3 cylinder mode. It happens on all Honda 3.5L engines with the VCM.
correction: all Honda 3.5L engines with automatic transmission.

I hang around in accord forum but 9th gen doesnt seem to have this shudder problem though. more shudder issue from CVT with I4. maybe I dont pay attention because I dont own a V6
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
masarwar wrote: I have the 09 accord v6 ex-l. What kind of problems do you get the with the vcm and why is this needed? This is probably the first time I am hearing about this issue.
a) Some VCM engines are reputed to be suspectable to problems with very high oil consumption and fouling sparkplugs when operating in 4 and 3 cylinder modes. VCMuzzler prevents operation in the 4 and 3 cylinder modes. There was a huge class action lawsuit settlement in the US over VCM

b) VCM has special hydraulic engine mounts that rapidly wear out when operating in VCM modes. These special mounts are very expensive to replace ($600 to $800 each time). Any $ gained due to better fuel economy from VCM is lost due to the high cost of engine mount replacements. Preventing VCM operation is reputed to eliminate having to continually replacing these very expensive mounts.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
l69norm wrote: a) Some VCM engines are reputed to be suspectable to problems with very high oil consumption and fouling sparkplugs when operating in 4 and 3 cylinder modes. VCMuzzler prevents operation in the 4 and 3 cylinder modes. There was a huge class action lawsuit settlement in the US over VCM.
Just to clarify, the lawsuit was not over the generation of engine that OP has. It was for the generation that was manufactured after the OPs car.
major difference is that OPs car does 6 or VCM to 3 cylinders, where as the one in the law suit did 6 or VCM to 4 or 3 cylinders operational. Honda has gone back to 6 and 3 cylinder VCM now.
Oct 20, 2010
654 posts
222 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: The reason I gave you that link is that it appears to indicate that Honda redesigned or modified the mount with a new part number. I presume that the new part would have a better life than the original.
it doesnt.
Original mounts were good for 120k. All three were replaced under warranty.
Now at 220k, and the rear engine mount is crap.
Considering getting this device, since the vibration is annoying whenever the engine tries to switch back to eco mode.
Honda did say the new engine mounts are better than the original.......

In a way, i am glad wife wants something else(as in an SUV) when we replace the odyssey(06 EX-L) in 2 years(hopefully it lasts reasonably problem free till then).
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
bugsbunny01 wrote: it doesnt.
Original mounts were good for 120k. All three were replaced under warranty
was the replacement done with the new part number? ( just curios )? If it was done under warranty doesn't necessarily mean that the new part number was used.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)