Automotive

Honda VIP package, how does it work? Comments?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2021 6:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
67 upvotes
GTA

Honda VIP package, how does it work? Comments?

Purchased a new Honda vehicle and the dealer (Roadsports Honda) offered a free VIP package, which includes free oil changes with the condition of doing all regular maintenance at the dealer.

Any comments/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
29 replies
Aug 4, 2004
565 posts
331 upvotes
it is free anyway.. what kind of comments are you expecting?

you can take advantage of the free oil changes before those bigger service which will hit your pocket.
Aug 22, 2011
187 posts
181 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The cost of the oil change is a pittance when compared to the premium they charge for having to do maintenance at the dealership.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5863 posts
2828 upvotes
Germany
I think everyone has already covered it. It's $38 to do an oil change. They are basically using the "free" oil changes as a loss leader to keep you loyal to their Service Department. FYI, this is the lifeblood of dealerships. Most rely on the Service Department and Finance Department to provide their stable revenue base while their Sales team chases volume to get the Manufacturer bonuses. The actual cars themselves have a minuscule amount of profit in them--around 2% depending on the floor plan credits and other Manufacturer credits.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4548 posts
4189 upvotes
Ottawa
elmst200 wrote: Purchased a new Honda vehicle and the dealer (Roadsports Honda) offered a free VIP package, which includes free oil changes with the condition of doing all regular maintenance at the dealer.

Any comments/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
Much better offer than our dealer offered. Our Honda dealer offered a Privilege Program that was $49.95 and did not include any free oil changes. It offered complimentary seasonal inspections, three car wash vouchers, 15% off accessories, 15% off customer paid body work, $500 voucher off future purchase that cannot be combined with any other offer, complimentary shuttle service and special invitation to events.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2493 posts
1967 upvotes
...see I'm clearly ignorant as I thought most of the maintenance had to be done at the dealer with new cars if you wanted to keep the warranty good...I apparently need to bone up hard on this stuff before I buy my new car this year.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Aug 24, 2006
669 posts
106 upvotes
Scarborough
Which vehicle did you purchase? My co-work picked up the HR-V last month and was given this same VIP package along with winter mats. I'm not sure how much over invoice he paid. I've been in contact with his salesman lately for a Civic.

But as others have posted, it's offered by Roadsport and they will squeeze you for their pre determined B services that most would normally pass on. If you decline to follow the schedule, your VIP pkg will become void.

Also maybe someone can advise, I heard the "free" is actually a $5 fee on oil changes.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2928 posts
1473 upvotes
Strathcona Park
cellsell wrote: it is free anyway.. what kind of comments are you expecting?

you can take advantage of the free oil changes before those bigger service which will hit your pocket.
He will only get 1 free oil change. The second service will require about $150 worth of inspections and lubes, if you decline those, the oil changes aren't free.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36548 posts
22695 upvotes
Center of Universe
LoANeal wrote: ...see I'm clearly ignorant as I thought most of the maintenance had to be done at the dealer with new cars if you wanted to keep the warranty good...I apparently need to bone up hard on this stuff before I buy my new car this year.
If you read the manual over, there's barely any language pertaining to services to keep warranty in good standing.
Other than oil changes, you're good to go for a few years at least; before anything else comes up.
Feb 4, 2017
295 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
If you read the manual over, there's barely any language pertaining to services to keep warranty in good standing.
Other than oil changes, you're good to go for a few years at least; before anything else comes up.
The Hondas have a maintenance minder program. If you don't follow the suggested maintenance I'm pretty sure you will have trouble claiming for your warranty.

Tire rotations, brake services. These will prolong the life of your parts and prevent you from replacing said brakes and tires prematurely.

What I see a lot of people doing is just oil changes. Then complaining when their brakes need to be replaced at 20k or that there tires are worn. Of course they are, you didn't take care of them.

When you buy a 30-50k vehicle, you are investing in your mode of transportation. Take care of it as you would anything else in life. Yeah the services are expensive. But replacing an engine or any major component then your fkd.

If you do your services elsewhere. Make sure you have a record for it in the event that you do need something warranty related.

As far as the VIP package. It's not a bad deal. Every service you go in for normally includes a oil change. Average customer walks through the door twice a year. So think of it as saving $100 bucks a year in services. It does keep you loyal to the dealership. Which is their main goal. Retention.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36548 posts
22695 upvotes
Center of Universe
Hiotosan wrote: The Hondas have a maintenance minder program. If you don't follow the suggested maintenance I'm pretty sure you will have trouble claiming for your warranty.

Tire rotations, brake services. These will prolong the life of your parts and prevent you from replacing said brakes and tires prematurely.

What I see a lot of people doing is just oil changes. Then complaining when their brakes need to be replaced at 20k or that there tires are worn. Of course they are, you didn't take care of them.

When you buy a 30-50k vehicle, you are investing in your mode of transportation. Take care of it as you would anything else in life. Yeah the services are expensive. But replacing an engine or any major component then your fkd.

If you do your services elsewhere. Make sure you have a record for it in the event that you do need something warranty related.

As far as the VIP package. It's not a bad deal. Every service you go in for normally includes a oil change. Average customer walks through the door twice a year. So think of it as saving $100 bucks a year in services. It does keep you loyal to the dealership. Which is their main goal. Retention.
Looks like you drank the stealership's coolaid.

As I originally stated, other than oil changes, there's nothing significant for service A&B, other than "inspections", which can be declined and will not void warranty.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/cont ... =ownerlink
Feb 4, 2017
295 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Looks like you drank the stealership's coolaid.

As I originally stated, other than oil changes, there's nothing significant for service A&B, other than "inspections", which can be declined and will not void warranty.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/cont ... =ownerlink
Your link does work for me...

And I didn't say you have to go to a dealership. You just have to maintain your car and keep records. Do it in your driveway. What do I care.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36548 posts
22695 upvotes
Center of Universe
Hiotosan wrote: Your link does work for me...

And I didn't say you have to go to a dealership. You just have to maintain your car and keep records. Do it in your driveway. What do I care.
May have misinterpret your post, but stealerships love to push unecessary work, in which they don't even perform (such as all items listed under inspections).

Maintenance Main Items (from the broken link)
Serivce
A ● Replace engine oil

Service
B ● Replace engine oil*1 and oil filter
● Inspect front and rear brakes
● Check parking brake adjustment
● Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
● Inspect suspension components
● Inspect driveshaft boots
● Inspect brake hoses and lines (Including ABS/VSA)
● Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
● Inspect exhaust system#
● Inspect fuel lines and connections#
Sep 18, 2004
869 posts
345 upvotes
If you have to do regular inspections at Roadsport Honda to keep the VIP package, how much is an inspection?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4501 posts
4694 upvotes
GTA
Not sure what manual you're referencing, because the link doesn't work.

But if you look in the Honda Warranty Guide, you'll see all kinds of references to following the required maintenance. Here's a good example:

https://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.ca/C ... W100-E.pdf
Exceptionally Few Exceptions.
YOUR DISTRIBUTOR’S WARRANTY, POWER TRAIN COMPONENT WARRANTY
AND EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEMS WARRANTY COVER:
NO WARRANTY SHALL COVER:
1. Any repairs required as a result of a lack of required
maintenance
So if you skip an inspection that might have caught a failing ball-joint (these inspections come up about once a year), and the ball joint DOES fail, taking out the CV Shaft and Fender with it, as shown below, they're not covered under warranty. I'd estimate $1500-2000 to repair those 2 additional items.

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54852 posts
19671 upvotes
Service B is not too costly anyway, I think $100-150 or so but after the warranty period, a lot of these inspect service items can be done a lot less frequently unless there are strange noises or liquid (aside from water) dripping on your driveway. Also for mostly highway driving, MM doesn't go to 5% on my vehicle until 14-15k km of driving. I didn't bother with my last service interval besides oil change because my extended warranty is near its end. My MM got to -1500 km before I got to do the oil change and reset it lol. I didn't know it would track km past zero.

I did my own spark plugs change (and rip off cabin air and air element cleaner filter changes) and skip the adjust timing belt (as my car has timing chains) and it didn't affect my right for a VTC actuator replacement (under extended warranty).

I still kept to the dealership for oil changes because if something happens to the engine, it could be an excuse if I had done the changes outside or by myself. With Honda's, if mostly used on highway, the visits are very infrequent at least because we have another car to spread mileage.

What does VIP stand for anyway, Very Innocent Person? :)
Nov 20, 2014
244 posts
110 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
ahlavanthan wrote:
Also maybe someone can advise, I heard the "free" is actually a $5 fee on oil changes.
Yes that is the "environmental fee".
Gee wrote: Does Honda use synthetic oil? How do you get an oil change for $38?
If you get the free oil changes and regular oil changes they use a bulk oil, not sure if it is synthetic. You will only get "genuine" honda oil upon request and extra charge.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7662 posts
6608 upvotes
Free oil change basically as many said, a loss leader to keep you going to dealership for other services.

Doing everything asked in the booklet @ dealership under warranty period is not necessary for warranty repairs.

But if you do have everything done at dealership as recommended, depends on the the failure, there may be less contention with warranty claims.

Again, if you know your cars, and don't mind the time in DIY, as long as all services are done with record, warranty repairs should be honored.
Oct 2, 2017
796 posts
572 upvotes
The first one will be an A1 service.. then you get the dreaded A3 and you're looking at 500$ and up, the "free" vip package is just a way for you to come in for an oil change then they say oh the code is A3 so you have to do all the additional checks they charge you money for. You don't have to do them

but at this point in your life you know nothing is truely free
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded