Entertainment

Hong Kong comic Teddy Boy (the source material for the Young and Dangerous movies) ends

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2020 3:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2042 posts
280 upvotes

Hong Kong comic Teddy Boy (the source material for the Young and Dangerous movies) ends

Anybody remember those movies? The original comic book which the movies were based on finally ended last week. And the ending is not as glorified as the movies. Apparently, fan favorite Chicken's been dead in the comics for twelve years and even lost an eye at one point. I think I'm gonna finally take the challenge and start reading the comics.
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2042 posts
280 upvotes
katonfire wrote: There's supposedly an American adaptation in works from Andy Lau and Pulse Films.

https://www.newsarama.com/44250-longrun ... eport.htmlYour text to link here...
Confirmed to be fake. Andrew Lau stated he was completely unaware. Too bad that reboot from a few years ago didn't turn out so well. I managed to find some decent scans of the earlier comics but the more recent issues are harder to find. And yes, it gets pretty dark. Chicken's son raped his sister. His sister elopes to Taiwan with Tai Fei's son and is slain in the process. And then, there's that whole subplot about Honam's son. Undercover cop, the rest is self explanatory. Huge difference compared to the movies. Compared to the movies, Hung Hing does dabble in the drug business. It's practically Honam's primary source of income.
May 27, 2011
437 posts
264 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tinlun wrote: Confirmed to be fake. Andrew Lau stated he was completely unaware. Too bad that reboot from a few years ago didn't turn out so well. I managed to find some decent scans of the earlier comics but the more recent issues are harder to find. And yes, it gets pretty dark. Chicken's son raped his sister. His sister elopes to Taiwan with Tai Fei's son and is slain in the process. And then, there's that whole subplot about Honam's son. Undercover cop, the rest is self explanatory. Huge difference compared to the movies. Compared to the movies, Hung Hing does dabble in the drug business. It's practically Honam's primary source of income.
Do you know where I read it online? Preferably in English. You can pm please and thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2042 posts
280 upvotes
katonfire wrote: Do you know where I read it online? Preferably in English. You can pm please and thanks
I'm struggling to find it in Chinese. Tried google and can't seem to find it. Also note that it's one ongoing series that was in print for 28 years straight. Reading it all the way through is going to be a huge challenge.
May 27, 2011
437 posts
264 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tinlun wrote: I'm struggling to find it in Chinese. Tried google and can't seem to find it. Also note that it's one ongoing series that was in print for 28 years straight. Reading it all the way through is going to be a huge challenge.
I used to read it at those Manhua/ bbt shops in Richmond hill. I vaguely remember where I left off, it was a rivalry between the white hair guy that wears only one glove and one of those 4 tigers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2042 posts
280 upvotes
katonfire wrote: I used to read it at those Manhua/ bbt shops in Richmond hill. I vaguely remember where I left off, it was a rivalry between the white hair guy that wears only one glove and one of those 4 tigers.
Tachibana? 立花正仁?I wouldn't know. I've never read the comics at all. Except maybe first couple of pages where they're explaining about the Yakuza.
May 27, 2011
437 posts
264 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tinlun wrote: Tachibana? 立花正仁?I wouldn't know. I've never read the comics at all. Except maybe first couple of pages where they're explaining about the Yakuza.
I think that's his name , it's sound like it but it's been too long
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2042 posts
280 upvotes
katonfire wrote: I think that's his name , it's sound like it but it's been too long
Found out as much as I can through reading wikipedia. He's some sorta Yakuza assassin.
May 27, 2011
437 posts
264 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tinlun wrote: Still behind from the latest issues but I got alotta catching up to do anyway. The cover to the final issue looks pretty epic.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2042 posts
280 upvotes
katonfire wrote:
This guy had a cameo in the first movie all those years ago. Funeral scene.
May 27, 2011
437 posts
264 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tinlun wrote: This guy had a cameo in the first movie all those years ago. Funeral scene.
How can you remember him or did you recently rewatch it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2042 posts
280 upvotes
katonfire wrote: How can you remember him or did you recently rewatch it?
I rewatched it on YouTube like 3 years ago. Wished we got the remastered version on Netflix like Hong Kong does. Most of those movies are on Netflix over there.