• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2019 5:02 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2009
114 posts
36 upvotes

Hong Kong - Dining Reccomendations

It's been a while since i've been to HK :D

Any recommendations for good dining experiences?
8 replies
Oct 17, 2010
511 posts
246 upvotes
Vancouver
It would help if you can be just a bit specific on which area and what kind of food you would like to have.

https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Public Mobile $38 5gb iPhone 8+
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11281 posts
1525 upvotes
Mississauga
Tim Ho Wan (multiple branches) gets a lot of love for being one of the cheapest Michelin-starred restaurants in the world. Their BBQ pork buns are really something else.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1854 posts
771 upvotes
HK
Talamasca wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 9:42 am
Tim Ho Wan (multiple branches) gets a lot of love for being one of the cheapest Michelin-starred restaurants in the world. Their BBQ pork buns are really something else.
This place is great.

If OP is targeting Michelin-starred restaurants, I recommend: T'ang Court, Lung King Kitchen and Caprice (french food).
Oct 3, 2011
415 posts
242 upvotes
OTTAWA
Tim Ho Wan is pretty unique if you are familiar with the technical skill required in making dim sum as consistently as they do. Very impressive, but taste wise, I didn't find it mind blowing. The steamed cake for some reason stood out in my mind more so than the pork bun. However, it's good if you want a standardized quality of dim sum at a michelin starred reputation for not much more than regular dim sum prices. I'm sure locals know better places. I preferred it over having to chase down the carts though, so if you dont' want some of that 'wtf' experience of watching locals fight over some hargow at the cart, THW is a pretty good choice.

On my trip I also tried kam's roast goose (michelin starred) and yung kee. Kam's was pretty tasty, what I didn't like was the business practice of advertising a combo meal special and then when you get in be told it's sold out and have to order a la carte. A combo meal is the same bbq meat on white rice as you get served if you order a la carte. This is a bait and switch to force you to order off the more expensive a la carte. You know how you get around that? Just say you don't offer the combos in the dining room. Pretty sure the tourists are going to sit down and eat anyways. Where are they going to run off to with a takeout box? Also didn't like that after waiting an hour and a half being told we had 45 minutes to order eat, pay and get out.

Yung kee I found a better experience, but they went pretty premium with pricing, it's not cheap but you don't feel rushed, it feels like a restaurant and not a dai pai dong like kam's and the service was very good. You can make a reservation online too.

Again if you know locals, you'll probably find better tasting and less expensive.

Also yes, it would help to know what cuisine you're after... macaroni and spam in instant noodle broth is about the same everywhere you go. :P
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4686 posts
914 upvotes
I was in HK in 2014. HK doesn't strike me as a fine dining kind of place. I went to Jumbo where you have to take a boat to get to the restaurant. Food is good quality but insanely expensive. I don't particularly recommend it. You go there because it is a friggin fancy boat! Something you probably try once for the heck of it.

Overall, I think HK specific foods aren't exactly fine dining type of things. HK food is like fusion food but fast food style. You can get it here in the GTA at places like Hollywood near Pacific Mall. When I was there, I just ate at whatever "normal" restaurants we came across. One memorable place (but not really Chinese food) is the rotating sushi place. I think it was near Sham Siu Po (sp?).
Oct 3, 2011
415 posts
242 upvotes
OTTAWA
BananaHunter wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 3:52 pm
I was in HK in 2014. HK doesn't strike me as a fine dining kind of place. I went to Jumbo where you have to take a boat to get to the restaurant. Food is good quality but insanely expensive. I don't particularly recommend it. You go there because it is a friggin fancy boat! Something you probably try once for the heck of it.

Overall, I think HK specific foods aren't exactly fine dining type of things. HK food is like fusion food but fast food style. You can get it here in the GTA at places like Hollywood near Pacific Mall. When I was there, I just ate at whatever "normal" restaurants we came across. One memorable place (but not really Chinese food) is the rotating sushi place. I think it was near Sham Siu Po (sp?).
I have to agree with you. I don't know what canto/hk style bbq is like out west, but on average for the price, I felt that the quality and taste is better in the GTA and montreal than what I had in hk. That also goes for dim sum. While THW was executed very well, I also found it sort of ho hum in terms of taste. We went to 2 other random dim sum places and a 3rd place for goose and bbq pork. I found I actually prefer the bbq duck we have over here.

It might be a supply/cost/quality equation balancing issue in hk as well. Maybe we just have access to better ingredients because we have a lot more space to grow them.