• Sep 1st, 2018 1:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2045 posts
1915 upvotes
Toronto

Hong Kong Style Restaurant in GTA

I am wondering if anyone knows of any restaurant serving Hong Kong style Menu...eg...baked porkchop on rice, curry baked chicken on rice/noodles etc. I am not asking for Chinese cuisine.... I think only the Asian knows what I am asking...it is hard to explain...
28 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11336 posts
2302 upvotes
Where is GTA you interested?

I like Phoenix. Prices have gone way up but quality is still there.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4438 upvotes
Between Countries
Lots in GTA. coriolis is right, they're called Cha Chan Tang or Cha Chan Teng. HK Chinese "fusion" food. In Markham, there almost seems to be one in every plaza.

In Markham, the area I'm closest to, off the top of my head (I know there are a lot more):
Ho Garden at T&T Plaza at Woodbine and 16th.
T&T Plaza at Warden and Steels has one (forgot the name).
Dickens Cafe at the plaza at east side of Leslie, north of 16th.
Marathon Cafe around East Beaver Creek and 7.
Firefly at First Markham place (Woodbine and 7)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6152 posts
1996 upvotes
Mississauga
there's at least a hundred of these places if you combine Richmond Hill, Markham, Scarborough
Jun 7, 2009
981 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
Seriously?

Sorry, I'm just really shocked this question came up. It's like asking a Canadian where they can find snow in the month of December.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6152 posts
1996 upvotes
Mississauga
souledge wrote: Seriously?

Sorry, I'm just really shocked this question came up. It's like asking a Canadian where they can find snow in the month of December.
maybe the op isn't asian?
Jun 7, 2009
981 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: maybe the op isn't asian?
I'm pretty sure OP is not, but I'm just commenting on how common it is to find one of these things in the Asian areas of the GTA.
Oct 26, 2016
623 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote: Lots in GTA. coriolis is right, they're called Cha Chan Tang or Cha Chan Teng. HK Chinese "fusion" food. In Markham, there almost seems to be one in every plaza.

In Markham, the area I'm closest to, off the top of my head (I know there are a lot more):
T&T Plaza at Warden and Steels has one (forgot the name).
Marathon Cafe around East Beaver Creek and 7.
Warden & Steeles, you're referring to Keung's Delight? I went into the Marathon Cafe at EBC & Hwy7 the other day. Was surprised to see them offer hot food HK cafe style. I thought they only sold drinks but I haven't tried their food yet. I haven't even stepped into the original location at Midland and Finch.

I did try their famous HK style coffee as a cold beverage.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32071 posts
19284 upvotes
Toronto
Marathon Cafe at both locations have good coffee/tea and their foods are not so good at all, IMO. But then HK cafe food are not known to be good tasting in the first place at all.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4438 upvotes
Between Countries
nestleman wrote: Warden & Steeles, you're referring to Keung's Delight? I went into the Marathon Cafe at EBC & Hwy7 the other day. Was surprised to see them offer hot food HK cafe style. I thought they only sold drinks but I haven't tried their food yet. I haven't even stepped into the original location at Midland and Finch.

I did try their famous HK style coffee as a cold beverage.
Yes, thanks. Keung's Delight sounds right for the cha chan tang at Warden and Steeles. It's out towards Steeles rather than further in like T&T. Come to think of it, there's also yet another one of these cafe's in the next plaza immediately west of this one - Century Plaza, I think.

Yes, Marathon has food. Ok, IMO. No better or worse than average. Tea/coffee/yin-yang is pretty good. Apparently they won a best tea in GTA competition some time ago.
May 5, 2016
428 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: Marathon Cafe at both locations have good coffee/tea and their foods are not so good at all, IMO. But then HK cafe food are not known to be good tasting in the first place at all.
I feel like Marathon at Hwy 7/EBC has gone way downhill. The milk tea is really inconsistent. The hot milk tea depends on who makes it. Some days it tastes great, now mostly it just tastes flat like the rest of the cha chan tangs. The cold one depends how fresh the pre-made chilled milk tea is. Last time I had one and it had a indescribably odd taste. Probably not fresh. Definitely not worth paying 3-4 bucks for a place specializing in milk tea. The hot food is definitely meh too. Just feels and tastes like it was reheated. Can't say for the Midland location though.. could be better.

Phoenix is a better bet for you OP. Lots of locations and the food is consistently good which justifies the higher price compared to the others.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6080 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
Phoenix, Blue Ocean Café, New City, Ming's Noodle Café, Metro Square Café to name a few. Mainly in Scarborough/Markham.
May 7, 2008
799 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
For a baked pork chop on rice - there is only place in GTA: Hong Kong Harbour in Chinatown.

Standard by which all baked pork chops should be judged
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2998 upvotes
Which one of these have the traditional black pepper sauced steak, plus the hong kong cabbage spicy soup, and hopefully the milk tea
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5054 posts
563 upvotes
Ancaster
Oh man, my favorite genre of Chinese food.

HK Style restaurant, IMHO, has two different sub-genres. Those that serve mainly HK-style Western food, and those that serve mainly Asian foods. And some that serve both.

Asian style
Phoenix is OK. I would say their food is decent and their tea decent. Nothing spectacular, but safe choices. Their pork jowl rice with egg is pretty amazing. Their milk tea though is meh.
Marathon usually has amazing milk tea -- the best in fact. Sometimes their quality is inconsistent. Their food though...oh man it's awful.
Hai Tang in 16th and Warden is another place we go to...mainly because it's cheap. It's the most Asian of the bunch. Milk tea is meh.
Blue Ocean: great food (better than Phoenix IMHO); milk tea always solid. More pricey though.
And Yin Ji Chang Fen -- it's 2 stores down Ajisen, in the T&T plaza at Warden and Steeles. They serve congee and cheung fun (rice noodle rolls), but their milk tea is surprisingly amazing. Their iced ones ($4) is expensive but so, very, good.

HK-Western style
Maxim and Dickens. those are the only two I can think of at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4438 upvotes
Between Countries
badOne wrote: Which one of these have the traditional black pepper sauced steak, plus the hong kong cabbage spicy soup, and hopefully the milk tea
I find that soup at Dicken's to be quite good. It's called Borscht Soup with Oxtail; a soup originated from Eastern Europe. It looks like this, right? (couldn't find a picture of the Dicken's soup but this is an example):
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2998 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: I find that soup at Dicken's to be quite good. It's called Borscht Soup with Oxtail; a soup originated from Eastern Europe. It looks like this, right? (couldn't find a picture of the Dicken's soup but this is an example):
pretty sure it doesn't look like that, but I would still eat it!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4438 upvotes
Between Countries
badOne wrote: pretty sure it doesn't look like that, but I would still eat it!
Yeah, the picture is of a thicker version. Most restaurants serve this soup thinner, with more liquid and less "stuff". Sorry, I just can't find a pic as a good example!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)