Travel

Hop on/hop off tour buses in London - any recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2016 12:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43246 upvotes
ONTARIO

Hop on/hop off tour buses in London - any recommendations?

I am going to London next month for 5 days and plan to explore the city and take in as much as we can while there.

I figure it might be a good idea to get a couple of tickets to one of these bus tours that allow you to get on and off at various stops through the city at your own leisure.
Does anyone have experience with these tours in London? Any recommendations?

I came across "Big Bus" which offers a 48 hour ticket for 33 pounds per person and includes night tours as well. Anyone used them?
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
I have used both the Big Bus and The Original Tour https://www.theoriginaltour.com/. They were both good. They have different offerings and routes. They also include boats and a river cruise up to Greenwich. They offer 2 for 1 coupon booklets and you need to look at them all to find out which one suites you best.
Find out which one has live guides fr the time you are there, they do not always have live guides. The pre-recorded stuff is awful and not always in sync of where you are.
There is another one too, the HOHO Plus http://www.hoponhopoffplus.com/
I think they all have a 48 hour pass.
Either one is a good way to get a complete look at London an some of the surrounding area.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
London Ontario? Or London England?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 31, 2016
176 posts
88 upvotes
AB
Cheapo-Findo wrote: London Ontario? Or London England?
What is there to "hop on and hop off" to see in London Ontario
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Not sure brah, never been to London Ontario. Heard it's the place to be though.
f2c2sd5g wrote: What is there to "hop on and hop off" to see in London Ontario

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 19, 2013
92 posts
16 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Are you looking for a bus tour with guide or just to take a bus? Regular bus routes are fairly easy to decipher and cheaper and stop in nearly identical places.

I just bought an Oyster card and used it on the buses and Tube to get around. If you're adventurous and want to save money and are a semi-confident city navigator it's a better deal.

There's also a London Pass that can save you money on travel and museum admission but you'd have to decide whether you're really going to cram in enough to make the price worth it.

London is full of things to see. Some, like the British Museum, are even free.

Take your time at a few select places in London and don't rush to see too much.

The hop on hop off tours do look interesting if you are interested in a narrated tour though but don't automatically go for them if you're just hoping for easy hopping on and off transportation because that can be done on public transport cheaply and as efficiently as it gets.

The river cruise was quite entertaining too. You get to see the city from a different vantage point.

What might you like to see in London? I've been there a few times now. I might be able to help.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
The first time I visited London about 12 years ago, I did go with one of those hop-on/hop-off buses. I don't remember which one, but it did have a live guide on some routes while pre-recorded on others. It did include a river cruise, although I don't think it went all the way to Greenwich at the time. Anyway, the less you know about London, the more I will recommend it. It's hassle-free as all you need to know is where the bus stop is and when the next one is arriving. All bus tours almost have the same routes, which provide a good overview of Central London as it loops around the West End, City of London, South Bank, and South Kensington.

You can do it on your own though as TfL (Transport for London) has written out a guide with a bus and river map that shows which bus routes to take. The guide also provide some itineraries for you to do.

TfL London Visitor Guide
Jan 31, 2016
176 posts
88 upvotes
AB
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Not sure brah, never been to London Ontario. Heard it's the place to be though.
It was a rhetorical question.