• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2017 2:32 am
[OP]
Jan 24, 2007
139 posts
15 upvotes

Hoping my Mom isn't making a mistake - used Lexus

Hey Gang,
My mother put down a deposit on 2016 Lexus ES 350. She has really done no shopping yet. She says "the salesman is very nice, I told him I trust him completely" - that worries me ;) They said they will not lower from the sticker price, and are also charging $390 for a key and remote exchange. I usually research to the hilt before buying but am afraid I won't have time with this. Should she not be able to get some money off? Is this a good deal? ANY help would be appreciated!!!
20 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13584 posts
2980 upvotes
Toronto
Bad deal if they don't lower the sticker price. I've never heard of anyone paying full price + more for a used car. I guess your mom will be the first.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4651 posts
2228 upvotes
Edmonton
Price seems fair enough, fairly low KM. No idea what a key exchange fee is, I'd prob challenge that. But, Lexus dealers can be pretty arrogant so doubt they care.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1258 posts
1350 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Once the deposit is there, there is no way to lower the transaction price, since she's already signed onto a contract.

The most you can ask for are extras, like free service, floor mats, detailing, and jays tickets.

As for the car itself, the Lexus ES is not a bad choice at all, in fact its probably the safest choice for a used premium sedan.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
[OP]
Jan 24, 2007
139 posts
15 upvotes
Yeah, this will be her last car, and I just want to make sure she doesn't get ripped off. Having a quick look online it seems this isn't wildly out of line of other prices. I am thinking she should try and get $1,000 off and not pay the key fee? I told her she should use this as a learning experience and be willing to walk away if she doesn't get a good deal, but I think she is not comfortable with that.
Thanks for the responses, happy to hear any other suggestions on the price of this.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2007
139 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks Speedkar9, if thats the case, I guess I just let her enjoy it :)
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
carztoronto wrote: Considering a brand new Lexus ES350 has $4,000 in incentives and the price is only $39,300, no, your mother is being ripped off. She is only saving $1,000 in a 2 year old used car:
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/configure-price/es
Not saying OP got a good deal but you are quoting the price of a base model new ES. That's not a base model.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of Seniors doesn't care about the few hundreds dollars off or what not.
They have the money and just want to get it done with. They wouldn't go get headache to deal with different salesperson for the ultimate best deal.

They deal with the one that give them the best service, listen to them, smile to them and help them to make things easier.

Some would say why don't she buy a brand new if she has the money. Senior's thinking is probably like I'm not a big daily commuter, why I spend the extra to get a brand new car. The one sitting at the lot is clean, low km, that's my thing. Take my driver license and my cheque for your deposit young guy, ;)

OP, she already bought it, there is not much you can do. Let her enjoy her new ride.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15098 posts
11832 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Whats done is done......move on with your life and stop worrying over something you can't control anymore since the papers are signed.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
179 upvotes
North York
carztoronto wrote: Considering a brand new Lexus ES350 has $4,000 in incentives and the price is only $39,300, no, your mother is being ripped off. She is only saving $1,000 in a 2 year old used car:
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/configure-price/es
The $39,300 one is probably the lowest trim model (which for a Lexus isn't the same as a Camry but it's still not going to have things like back-up sensors, navigation, power steering wheel, etc). The one the OP posted is the Navigation model which in 2016 was most likely $45K+. The price the dealer is selling it for isn't abnormally high for a 2016 with low mileage and 1 package below the fully loaded model.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
May 7, 2016
483 posts
417 upvotes
In the ad OP posted it says it was $42k brand new, and that is the price of the base ES350. It is a terrible deal!
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
179 upvotes
North York
carztoronto wrote: In the ad OP posted it says it was $42k brand new, and that is the price of the base ES350. It is a terrible deal!
They said it was $42K, now it's $37K.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
186 posts
135 upvotes
Car choice is good but you can never trust Car salesman. Bunch of greedy money hungry people who only cares about maximum comission. Your suppose to give them hard time and be an a## . Id get up and leave if im not getting good deal. Just spend time with salesman first, waste his freaking time, make sure he knows you are a serious buyer and if he still has attitudes, just leave if you did not get a good deal at least you wasted his time

#die for a dollar life ain't sweet
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
Lemme guess.

Don Valley Lexus
Mom is 70+
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
383 upvotes
Markham, ON
seems almost counter intuitive...but after many years, I found that people who make quick, happy decision and overpaid for something they like are often happier than those who penny pinching trying to squeak the best deal possible with everything they buy.

You mom is happy and already signed the contract. As long as the car is not a lemon and just let her enjoy the car in peace.
Making her feel uncomfortable and questioning her decision is not even worth whatever $1-$2K she could've saved.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2007
139 posts
15 upvotes
pink donut, I think that is damn great advice...was never my intention to make her feel uncomfortable, just want to make sure she wasn't getting hosed. Sounds like it may not be the best deal in the world, but I am happy that it seems its not totally unreasonable. Thanks to you all!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6788 posts
4358 upvotes
Toronto
pinkdonut wrote: seems almost counter intuitive...but after many years, I found that people who make quick, happy decision and overpaid for something they like are often happier than those who penny pinching trying to squeak the best deal possible with everything they buy...
That doesn't always work because there is always one person who will ask about the deal like their friends and family, in this case the son and ruin the moment for her should she paid too much and the other person knows more about cars and prices then the ignorant.