Hoping my Mom isn't making a mistake - used Lexus

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2017 2:32 am
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
Only way to get lower price is being ready to walk away. You do that by picking 3 cars at different dealerships, and saying "meh, I like this car, but car X and car Y have similar features, and the price is more attractive. What can you do to make this offer more attractive?"

If they say, "oh but our car has Z feature that those don't have." Say "oh but I don't care about that feature. It's nice to have, but doesn't make a difference for me." If they say "but our car is a Lexus," say "that's nice, but I just need something to get me from point A to point B, I don't really care about stickers."

If they won't budge, leave them your phone number and say "if you change your mind, give me a call."

Then go home.

They will call within 24 hours and offer you a lower price. They want to make the sale and get the commission.

Remember -- if they don't sell this old car, it will only be older next week, a month later, etc. They want to get rid of this old car. It costs them money to keep it on the lot, they have money locked-up in it as an asset, they want to clear the spot to put a new car, the dealership gets manufacture bonuses for selling more cars this month. Don't let them make you feel like it's a one-way transaction, like you need a car and they are your only option. Don't let them trick you into thinking they don't care if you walk away, like your sale doesn't matter to them. The dealer has strong incentive to sell it, they REALLY want to sell it! And they will drop the price, but you need to show them you're interested, but not THAT interested that you'll pay whatever number they draw on the window.