• Oct 22nd, 2020 1:13 am
[OP]
May 17, 2017
4 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Horrible situation with Canada Computers and broken TV

Hello.

I bought a TV at the Canada Computers Scarborough location. It was roughly $1500 taxes in. This was the last item they had in stock because it's an older model. I had contacted them ahead to see if it was an open box or demo and they told me it was new. I picked it up and next day I tried the TV and when turned on it has some nasty cracks inside the screen (outside screen and everything else outside is in good condition). I go back to the store and they are blaming me for the cracks! I am 100% sure that the TV was handled with extra care and there is no way the internal cracks were caused by me. Long story short, they didn't give me much hope. They took the TV and said they would "talk to the manufacturer".

There was no way I could have know about the condition of the TV when I took it out of the store. Is there something I can do to get my money back?

Please help!
37 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1095 posts
699 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
Ho did you pay for it? CC chargeback?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
2170 posts
2632 upvotes
this is one of those he said she said situation, u cant prove the tv came with the cracks, and they cant prove u caused the cracks...but unfortunately, in these situations, usually the merchant wins out if they dont wanna be nice about it, so its really up to them how they wanna handle the situation...next time check the packaging, manufacturer seal is pristine, if its opened/demo/refurbished, they would just put like scotch tape or duct tape over it
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1382 posts
1414 upvotes
ON
Many retailers will give you the benefit of doubt and go an extra length to satisfy you. I don’t think CC is one of those unfortunately. Hoping you get lucky.
For this very reason, my first retailer of choice is Costco.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3750 posts
2431 upvotes
London
don't cc open the tv at the store and turn it on to check it before u leave. i mean with motherboards at least intel ones they open it up in front of u and make u look at the pins for bent ones and they force u to sign a paper saying it had no bent pins before u leave the store.

as others said if they refuse to replace it u can try a charge back but if the cc wants u to prove that it was damaged before u got it thats kinda hard to do if u didn't open it before u left the store to confirm it was not broken.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5439 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
How is this place still in business?

At this rate if they were giving away free items I would hesitate. Do not trust them in any way.

How many customers can one company screw over and remain in business?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13025 posts
8265 upvotes
Markham
aaron158 wrote: don't cc open the tv at the store and turn it on to check it before u leave. i mean with motherboards at least intel ones they open it up in front of u and make u look at the pins for bent ones and they force u to sign a paper saying it had no bent pins before u leave the store.

as others said if they refuse to replace it u can try a charge back but if the cc wants u to prove that it was damaged before u got it thats kinda hard to do if u didn't open it before u left the store to confirm it was not broken.
I doubt many people open and try the TV before leave store. I think many assume if anything wrong, they can bring back .

Guess CC is not such places though
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3750 posts
2431 upvotes
London
smartie wrote: I doubt many people open and try the TV before leave store. I think many assume if anything wrong, they can bring back .

u would think it would be there store policy though to check the tv before the person leaves the store that way if someone shows up the next day with a cracked tv then u know its the customers problem and nothing the store did wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6572 posts
6045 upvotes
If the merchant doesn't do anything (e.g replace it with a similar model or give your money back), definitely contact American Express - make sure you keep a detailed log of everything.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13025 posts
8265 upvotes
Markham
aaron158 wrote: u would think it would be there store policy though to check the tv before the person leaves the store that way if someone shows up the next day with a cracked tv then u know its the customers problem and nothing the store did wrong.
But thats a lot work for employees: unbox, plug power, connect cable, try a few things. And some customers will say "can you try this"? "Can you tell me how to do this "?

Since defects is only tiny proportion, it's cheaper for business just take it back than check everything.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
3090 posts
1118 upvotes
alot of CC offer 90 day protection. Check if your card has that ?
Dec 8, 2009
688 posts
725 upvotes
smartie wrote: But thats a lot work for employees: unbox, plug power, connect cable, try a few things. And some customers will say "can you try this"? "Can you tell me how to do this "?

Since defects is only tiny proportion, it's cheaper for business just take it back than check everything.
It really isn't though. They don't need to go that far. Simply open the box and then have the person buying it check to see if there are any cracks on the screen or other physical damage.

I've seen this done at other stores. It literally takes a couple extra minutes. You sign off that there is no physical damage to it on your receipt.

Anything else a store will take returns for, but when it's physical damage that's when it becomes an issue because they don't know if the person who bought it is responsible or not.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19432 posts
22541 upvotes
GTA
Patrickpete wrote: This is why I love costco....
Remember when someone posted that they bought a TV at costco and found a different, broken TV inside when they got home? I think costco resisted the return but eventually allowed it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
2170 posts
2632 upvotes
TempletonPeck wrote: It really isn't though. They don't need to go that far. Simply open the box and then have the person buying it check to see if there are any cracks on the screen or other physical damage.

I've seen this done at other stores. It literally takes a couple extra minutes. You sign off that there is no physical damage to it on your receipt.

Anything else a store will take returns for, but when it's physical damage that's when it becomes an issue because they don't know if the person who bought it is responsible or not.
really? where u guys seeing this? i bought monitors, tvs, i have NEVER got it checked at the store, nor have i seen anybody get their tv checked at the store...its just brand new sealed...now if its refurbished or open box, then i can see that, but if they were to do that for EVERY new tv, thats a LOT of employee working time wasted, and where do u draw the line?? u can DOA can happen to any electronic product
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2970 posts
1616 upvotes
B.C.
kindred_99 wrote: How is this place still in business?

At this rate if they were giving away free items I would hesitate. Do not trust them in any way.

How many customers can one company screw over and remain in business?
They're still miles ahead of the small mom & pop computer shops of the late 90's and early 2000's. Remember those places?

I do agree about CC. They're super sketchy. They sold me something they weren't an authorized retailer for and only refunded me once I showed them the email from the manufacturer saying they weren't authorized - despite that brand being plastered everywhere around their store.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16884 posts
14485 upvotes
GTA, ON
smartie wrote: I doubt many people open and try the TV before leave store. I think many assume if anything wrong, they can bring back .

Yeah, could you imagine? Sir, I'd like to pull this 60" tv out of the box to test it....

I'm saying OP couldn't, but man would it be a sight.
Last edited by chimaican on Jul 16th, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 20, 2019
647 posts
2675 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
engineered wrote: Remember when someone posted that they bought a TV at costco and found a different, broken TV inside when they got home? I think costco resisted the return but eventually allowed it.
I can see why. That sounds so suspicious, and the fact that they would even take that back surprises me. I have seen first hand ,however, someone return a box of almost empty chicken nuggets. I don't how people can do that with a straight face.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1584 posts
1077 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Patrickpete wrote: I can see why. That sounds so suspicious, and the fact that they would even take that back surprises me. I have seen first hand ,however, someone return a box of almost empty chicken nuggets. I don't how people can do that with a straight face.
Customer buys TV and returns a bag of near empty chicken nuggets with a straight face. No matter, that's a bit much.