Hose bibb leaking - looking to replace it

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 2:02 pm
Oct 20, 2011
95 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto

Hose bibb leaking - looking to replace it

The hose bibb from my garage is leaking. It only leaks when water is fully shut off at the hose bibb. Water does not leak if water is shut off from inside.

Are hose bibbs that turn on/off water with a lever better than the ones that turn on/off water with a dial?

Any reason why I shouldn't install one with a lever?

I have no plumbing or soldering experience. Should I hire a plumber to replace the hose bibb for me? Any idea what the cost would be?
22 replies
Jan 21, 2007
107 posts
9 upvotes
Hi there I had this issue two or three years ago. Ended up just replacing the hosebib myself. I didn't end up going with ballnvalve but if I did it again I probably would. I've never soldered before but it was pretty easy. Just be sure there's no water in the pipe (I used bread) and the copper pipe is clean and shiny. I think I'm semi handy and would rate this job a 5/10 on difficulty scale. Hope this helps.
Oct 20, 2011
95 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Feebz13 wrote: Hi there I had this issue two or three years ago. Ended up just replacing the hosebib myself. I didn't end up going with ballnvalve but if I did it again I probably would. I've never soldered before but it was pretty easy. Just be sure there's no water in the pipe (I used bread) and the copper pipe is clean and shiny. I think I'm semi handy and would rate this job a 5/10 on difficulty scale. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip about the no water in pipe.

Do I cut the pipe leading to the existing hose bibb, then attach the new hose bibb by soldering it to the pipe?

I'm looking at getting something like this - https://www.amazon.ca/American-Valve-M7 ... KFAE&psc=1
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12938 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
Use your torch to sweat off the old hose bib. Pull off old bib with pliers. Use another plier to hold pipe while pulling off bib. Put flux on pipe and sweat on new bib. Be careful, it will burn you!

If new bib doesn't fit on pipe, use torch to melt off solder, or remove with sandpaper. Then add flux and solder bib onto pipe.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1676 posts
1105 upvotes
GTA
jcremer2007 wrote: Thanks for the tip about the no water in pipe.

Do I cut the pipe leading to the existing hose bibb, then attach the new hose bibb by soldering it to the pipe?

I'm looking at getting something like this - https://www.amazon.ca/American-Valve-M7 ... KFAE&psc=1
This valve from Amazon looks like 3/4" on the end that's soldered to your copper pipe. I'm pretty sure your pipe is 1/2" so you would have to either add a reducer or select a different valve that's 1/2".
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1989 posts
1565 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have a similar problem. My dial hose bib would leak ONLY when I am shutting it off and only for a short while. It does not leak when I'm turning it open. Both of my garden hose bibs do this so I'm thinking it's a design thing vice a defect. Anyone know the reason?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6185 posts
4446 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: I have a similar problem. My dial hose bib would leak ONLY when I am shutting it off and only for a short while. It does not leak when I'm turning it open. Both of my garden hose bibs do this so I'm thinking it's a design thing vice a defect. Anyone know the reason?
The o'ring or packing is worn out and needs to be replaced.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9668 posts
9396 upvotes
Winchester
The last time I lost a bibb due to a leak, I switch from copper to pex. My thinking was that the next time I have to do this, I won't need to solder. I find that free-proof bibbs don't last as long as the old bibbs did (in the days before anti-siphon valves).
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2308 upvotes
London
Read the very first reply.

All the rest are like replacing the whole car because the tires are worn.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21791 posts
15537 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
arisk wrote: Read the very first reply.

All the rest are like replacing the whole car because the tires are worn.
Nothing wrong with a new car... just a heck of a lot more trouble and expense than needed.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3673 posts
1724 upvotes
If I needed to replace this bibb, is it as simple as shutting off the water, then one wrench to hold on to the pipe nearest to the wall, and one on the hex part of the bib and twist?

Thinking of replacing it with one with a ball valve. Any recommendations?
Images
  • IMG_2701.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6185 posts
4446 upvotes
goob3r wrote: If I needed to replace this bibb, is it as simple as shutting off the water, then one wrench to hold on to the pipe nearest to the wall, and one on the hex part of the bib and twist?

Thinking of replacing it with one with a ball valve. Any recommendations?
That bibb is soldered onto the copper pipe sticking out of the wall.
You can also just change the stem or replace the washer and o-ring.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/moen-e ... 1000515318
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3673 posts
1724 upvotes
pootza wrote: That bibb is soldered onto the copper pipe sticking out of the wall.
You can also just change the stem or replace the washer and o-ring.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/moen-e ... 1000515318
Thanks will need to look more into this.

Is the cartridge then the part that is essentially left of the where the hose connects? That can be wrenched off?
Oct 7, 2019
199 posts
208 upvotes
I used Sharkbite Sillcocks for the Garage and the back. Easy no need for soldering. Good for limited access or finished space.
Sharkbite Sillcock
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6185 posts
4446 upvotes
goob3r wrote: Thanks will need to look more into this.

Is the cartridge then the part that is essentially left of the where the hose connects? That can be wrenched off?
To the left of the blue handle is a nut which you would unscrew and the whole stem will come out. The valve should be partially open when you do this so it's doesn't bind. The Emco laundry stem is the same stem they use in all their stops and bibbs back in the day. You may be able to get it cheaper at another store if you shop around online.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21521 posts
17115 upvotes
Markham
Blackjack wrote: Just attach this valve to your hose bib and problem solved.
I used this valve on my own bib and it works just fine.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stra ... 3706p.html

I like this...virtually zero work. Might buy a washer and this, and if the washer don't fix it, I'll put this on. Thanks
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6185 posts
4446 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I like this...virtually zero work. Might buy a washer and this, and if the washer don't fix it, I'll put this on. Thanks
Not if the o'ring is shot and it's leaking out by the handle.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21521 posts
17115 upvotes
Markham
pootza wrote: Not if the o'ring is shot and it's leaking out by the handle.
It was a slow drip out of the spout. I have to replace the handle as well. Need to go take pic and then go to HD/Cdn Tire to find replacement.
Images
  • IMG_20220605_115028.jpg
  • IMG_20220605_114909.jpg
  • IMG_20220605_114826.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)