• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2022 8:09 pm
[OP]
Oct 20, 2011
77 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto

Hose bibb leaking - looking to replace it

The hose bibb from my garage is leaking. It only leaks when water is fully shut off at the hose bibb. Water does not leak if water is shut off from inside.

Are hose bibbs that turn on/off water with a lever better than the ones that turn on/off water with a dial?

Any reason why I shouldn't install one with a lever?

I have no plumbing or soldering experience. Should I hire a plumber to replace the hose bibb for me? Any idea what the cost would be?
11 replies
Jan 21, 2007
107 posts
9 upvotes
Hi there I had this issue two or three years ago. Ended up just replacing the hosebib myself. I didn't end up going with ballnvalve but if I did it again I probably would. I've never soldered before but it was pretty easy. Just be sure there's no water in the pipe (I used bread) and the copper pipe is clean and shiny. I think I'm semi handy and would rate this job a 5/10 on difficulty scale. Hope this helps.
[OP]
Oct 20, 2011
77 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Feebz13 wrote: Hi there I had this issue two or three years ago. Ended up just replacing the hosebib myself. I didn't end up going with ballnvalve but if I did it again I probably would. I've never soldered before but it was pretty easy. Just be sure there's no water in the pipe (I used bread) and the copper pipe is clean and shiny. I think I'm semi handy and would rate this job a 5/10 on difficulty scale. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip about the no water in pipe.

Do I cut the pipe leading to the existing hose bibb, then attach the new hose bibb by soldering it to the pipe?

I'm looking at getting something like this - https://www.amazon.ca/American-Valve-M7 ... KFAE&psc=1
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12521 posts
1430 upvotes
Brampton
Use your torch to sweat off the old hose bib. Pull off old bib with pliers. Use another plier to hold pipe while pulling off bib. Put flux on pipe and sweat on new bib. Be careful, it will burn you!

If new bib doesn't fit on pipe, use torch to melt off solder, or remove with sandpaper. Then add flux and solder bib onto pipe.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1150 posts
339 upvotes
GTA
jcremer2007 wrote: Thanks for the tip about the no water in pipe.

Do I cut the pipe leading to the existing hose bibb, then attach the new hose bibb by soldering it to the pipe?

I'm looking at getting something like this - https://www.amazon.ca/American-Valve-M7 ... KFAE&psc=1
This valve from Amazon looks like 3/4" on the end that's soldered to your copper pipe. I'm pretty sure your pipe is 1/2" so you would have to either add a reducer or select a different valve that's 1/2".
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1814 posts
1403 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have a similar problem. My dial hose bib would leak ONLY when I am shutting it off and only for a short while. It does not leak when I'm turning it open. Both of my garden hose bibs do this so I'm thinking it's a design thing vice a defect. Anyone know the reason?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4714 posts
2641 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: I have a similar problem. My dial hose bib would leak ONLY when I am shutting it off and only for a short while. It does not leak when I'm turning it open. Both of my garden hose bibs do this so I'm thinking it's a design thing vice a defect. Anyone know the reason?
The o'ring or packing is worn out and needs to be replaced.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6980 posts
4631 upvotes
Ottawa
The last time I lost a bibb due to a leak, I switch from copper to pex. My thinking was that the next time I have to do this, I won't need to solder. I find that free-proof bibbs don't last as long as the old bibbs did (in the days before anti-siphon valves).
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2441 posts
1525 upvotes
London
Read the very first reply.

All the rest are like replacing the whole car because the tires are worn.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19538 posts
12603 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
arisk wrote: Read the very first reply.

All the rest are like replacing the whole car because the tires are worn.
Nothing wrong with a new car... just a heck of a lot more trouble and expense than needed.