Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] HOT!! Amazon.ca - Skil SHD77M 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Mag Worm Drive Circular Saw - $124.95

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2013 3:42 pm
[OP]
Jul 18, 2007
10 posts
6 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] HOT!! Amazon.ca - Skil SHD77M 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Mag Worm Drive Circular Saw - $124.95

Long time member but first time posting a deal. I was looking for a circular saw for general purpose household work but after talking to few pros I narrowed down my search to the one with worm drive. Amazon Canada has Skil SHD77M for $124.95 ($149.95 - $25), which IMO is a pretty decent deal as local Hardware stores price vary from $195-$229.

"Save $10 on a $50 Skil Tools Purchase, or save $25 on $100
Save $10 when you spend $50 on eligible Skil tools, or save $25 when you spend $100 on Skil tools. Offer valid through December 31, 2013. Applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.ca and does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.ca site."

YMMV for Price Match with local B&M stores.

I am an amature DIY'er and it was the first time I used a circular saw. Here is my quick feedback:
This is a pretty heavy saw but it glides smoothly. The motor is inline with the blade and provides a better visibility to the blade while cutting.

What do you guys think?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3886 posts
2315 upvotes
Seems to be a very good price compared to amazon.com and homedepot.com. Probably overkill for most people, but a good deal nonetheless.
Jul 18, 2005
736 posts
107 upvotes
Awesome first post!

Had a Carpenter frame a bell shaped roof for me and the guy swore by the lighter version of this saw:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00B7EUS46 ... SY165_QL70

It was amazing to see how he was able to make quick accurate cuts. He even cut a perfect arc out of a 2x10.

For $125 you can't go wrong with this saw!
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19498 posts
6668 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Skil is now the budget line of Bosch basically FYI.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1019 posts
321 upvotes
worm drive is where it is at! I use a worm drive at work everyday, and it sucks whenever I have to go back to using a standard circ saw. Great price!
Jan 28, 2007
989 posts
394 upvotes
I have a 5yrold one and still going strong.
Used it for cutting interlocking, no problem.
Feb 14, 2012
939 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote: Skil is now the budget line of Bosch basically FYI.
mhmm...these things are probably the best wormdrive circular saws money can buy. This is the ONE item that i would buy that is made by skil. Skil owns the patent on "wormdrive" and other companies like dewalt or bosch just "buy" the patent for a specific time to be able to make their own wormdrives. I've been a carpenter for 10 years, and i swear by these things and i have never seen one of these things break down while in use. Also, at this price for the lighter magnesium version is a steal.
Feb 14, 2012
939 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
That went OoS fast. But, i would say 180$ and under for this saw is well worth the money, DiY'er or for Pros. Walk into any big jobsite, find a guy that uses a circular saw ask him what kind it is and 99% of the time it will be a wormdrive skilsaw.
Dec 14, 2007
527 posts
1387 upvotes
Awesome post OP. Had my eye on this from last couple months at local homedepot and lowes. Can't beat this price. Ordered one. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19498 posts
6668 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Josecc wrote: mhmm...these things are probably the best wormdrive circular saws money can buy. This is the ONE item that i would buy that is made by skil. Skil owns the patent on "wormdrive" and other companies like dewalt or bosch just "buy" the patent for a specific time to be able to make their own wormdrives. I've been a carpenter for 10 years, and i swear by these things and i have never seen one of these things break down while in use. Also, at this price for the lighter magnesium version is a steal.
Good post. I always thought Skil was all in the same bin as B&D. You can still order it, just it's back ordered... I actually prefer it this way as it gives me some cool down time to research it more and I know I'm not going to be using it while it's freezing cold outside anyway. Edit: Decided against it, some reviews on Amazon.com state a few things that I know I won't like. If it was another $25 cheaper, maybe, but I'm not in dire need of an upgrade.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3172 posts
1956 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah, I was tempted but lots of reviews on .com ragging on the new lower build quality.

I dunno, I don't have a circular saw and even the mastercraft maximum is like $70 on sale.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5612 posts
3183 upvotes
Toronto
yeah quality has declined in the past 10 years but the foot/base plate wasn't the best designed in the first place, it has become the rca colour televisions of the worn drive world.

if this was the 8 1/4 version i'd pick it up and if i didn't already have the 1677md and dws535.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2364 posts
812 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
sirxterminator wrote: price went back up to $360
On the right side of the page it is available from Amazon for $149.95. Out of stock but will ship when available.
Jul 18, 2005
736 posts
107 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: Skil is now the budget line of Bosch basically FYI.
FYI. Basically you don't know what you are talking about. Skil worm drive is the saw for the pro's. Not Bosch. Stop padding your post count with non-informative posts.
Oct 10, 2011
14 posts
2 upvotes
Skil has been owned by Bosch since 96 and considered their "value" line, having said that their worm drive is supposed to be quite good and for the price of this is a very good deal, I ordered one last night
Great post OP
Nov 22, 2012
34 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
Generally Skil is the value line from Bosch, but the Circular Saw (aka Skil Saw) is 2nd to none. I've had the Makita Magnesium Hypoid in the past, but went back to the Skil with my last buy. A really great saw. It's worth noting that if you're looking for incredibly high precision you should be looking for a table saw or Festool type track saw.
Nov 20, 2008
742 posts
305 upvotes
The Skil is a direct descendant of the Bosch 1677, the latter has more refinements, is still assembled in the States and has a pricier tag, but the internals are identical. The Mag77-LT is the current Skil equivalent to the Bosch 1677M. Same foot, though the $169 price at IHL is second to none, PM at Home Depot for an extra 10% off.