Hot Deals

Hot? AmazonBasics Hardside 20 Inch Spinner Luggage - $46.87 (Light Blue ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 2:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
2983 posts
235 upvotes

Hot? AmazonBasics Hardside 20 Inch Spinner Luggage - $46.87 (Light Blue ONLY)

Deal Link:
Was looking for a carry-on suitcase and this looks like a pretty good deal. $62.50 regular price - 25% AmazonBasics discount = $46.87 + HST.
Last edited by Homer88 on Jul 12th, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Nov 10, 2012
708 posts
246 upvotes
Calgary
CCC shows a low of $44.75 back in January for the light blue one I checked. So this is very close to that price. Don’t own one myself so can’t comment on quality.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1165 posts
260 upvotes
Calgary
IIRC this is barely over the carry on guidelines for AC/WS.
May 28, 2018
1 posts
I own the small checked luggage sized one. Though wheels are sturdy and hardshell body feels nice, there is actually very little space inside. But at this price I would buy if I needed a new handcarry.
Apr 17, 2001
284 posts
127 upvotes
was looking at this earlier as well...

Orange doesn't have 25% off btw... only blue
Oct 27, 2015
64 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Was planning to buy a new luggage for a trip to Europe. Unfortunately this bag is a few cm too big for European carrier specs. Most of the ULCC are pretty tight with their cabin luggage sizes.
Jan 17, 2010
719 posts
171 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Can I join prime to get the deal and quit afterwards w/o paying annual fee? I remember I did it once a few years ago. Not sure whether I can do it again.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2834 posts
71 upvotes
Oakville
cheney wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:27 pm
Can I join prime to get the deal and quit afterwards w/o paying annual fee? I remember I did it once a few years ago. Not sure whether I can do it again.
A little too much even for RFD.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2242 posts
1190 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Gonna take a chance and get this since I need a new carry on.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5679 posts
661 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
blind56 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:37 pm
IIRC this is barely over the carry on guidelines for AC/WS.
Technically yes for WestJet, but almost microscopically so.

WS says 53 centimeters by 38 centimeters by 23 centimeters. (But WS also says 21” which is 53.34 cm.)

This is 54.9 cm x 36.6 x 23.4.

So this is less than 2 cm over in length and 4 millimeters over in depth.

Given the monstrously oversized bags I have seen WS permit inconsiderate passengers stuff into overhead bins depriving others access, I would be shocked if they squawked about 4 mm and less than 2 cm.

Two other factors to consider though. One is the exposure of the wheels. That might pose a breakage risk and reduces the interior dimension of a 20” suitcase. The other is the weight. At 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds) the suitcase itself would take up a lot of the maximum weight for carryones that some airlines have. I remember when I flew on Alaska Airline quite a bit the carryon weight limit was 10 kg, so this suitcase would leave only 6.5 kg for contents.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1236 posts
299 upvotes
Markham
cheney wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:27 pm
Join now and quit after Prime day sales.
I try to do it 2 years ago like a true RFDer, but still have Prime as I felt bad cancelling.
-------
Thank you
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1236 posts
299 upvotes
Markham
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:55 pm
Technically yes for WestJet, but almost microscopically so.

WS says 53 centimeters by 38 centimeters by 23 centimeters. (But WS also says 21” which is 53.34 cm.)

This is 54.9 cm x 36.6 x 23.4.

So this is less than 2 cm over in length and 4 millimeters over in depth.

Given the monstrously oversized bags I have seen WS permit inconsiderate passengers stuff into overhead bins depriving others access, I would be shocked if they squawked about 4 mm and less than 2 cm.

Two other factors to consider though. One is the exposure of the wheels. That might pose a breakage risk and reduces the interior dimension of a 20” suitcase. The other is the weight. At 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds) the suitcase itself would take up a lot of the maximum weight for carryones that some airlines have. I remember when I flew on Alaska Airline quite a bit the carryon weight limit was 10 kg, so this suitcase would leave only 6.5 kg for contents.
Good points. I've seen Air Canada refuced to let my friend bring a similar luggage because it couldn't for their metal cage by the gate. We had to make a scene to get that in.
Also last week at Toronto airport, they refused to let go checked luggage with 0.2KG extra weight. Airlines can cause trouble if they want for sure..
Last edited by kunamvahees on Jul 11th, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------
Thank you
Jun 11, 2015
161 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I fly a dozen AC flights and a few intra-Europe flights every year and I've never had issues with my 23.75in x 14.75in x 9.5in softsided case. YMMV, but I doubt you'll have a problem with this outside of low-cost carriers.

With that said, I think you should buy a softsided carry-on. Lighter/easier to fit in overhead bins/easier to pull stuff from in flight/etc.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5679 posts
661 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
TWELVES wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:39 pm
I fly a dozen AC flights and a few intra-Europe flights every year and I've never had issues with my 23.75in x 14.75in x 9.5in softsided case. YMMV, but I doubt you'll have a problem with this outside of low-cost carriers.

With that said, I think you should buy a softsided carry-on. Lighter/easier to fit in overhead bins/easier to pull stuff from in flight/etc.
I share your view about soft-sided. I use a weekender bag for my carry-on and a backpack for my “personal item”. I can “stuff” the weekender bag, so it always gets on as carry on.

Both are from Everlane. They aren’t inexpensive, but they are high quality and provide good value over time. Both are at least five years old. The backpack is my daily carry. Both travel to Mexico a couple of time each year. Both come with me on probably 30 work trips each year. Both look almost new.

https://www.everlane.com/
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
2983 posts
235 upvotes
I'm flying the Japanese LCC Peach later this year and looks like this fits within their carry-on luggage criteria (l + w + h cant exceed 115cm). Incase anyone else is wondering. The weight does account for 1/3 of their total carry on allowance but hey it's better than nothing :).